MFC re-map

Hey all,

I'm a silent user of these forums, so please excuse my lack of activity on here - really appreciate everyone's help on so much thus far. I had an MFC question that I've not quite found a direct answer for yet, so I thought I'd finally post something, say hey and see what insight anyone else may have on this 'issue'. Essentially I wanted to know if there was a completely custom way to map the MFC-101, like so for example:

- Switches 1, 6 and 11 are linked to patches 000, 001 and 002 on the Axe FX (2, by the way)
- Switch 10 is linked to patch 003
- All other switches act as IA switches linked to effects, like on/off stomp boxes (except for 16 and 17 which are fine as is - and REVEAL, EDIT, UP, DOWN which I know can't be changed)

So essentially that means patch changes would be on a vertical column on the left instead of the bottom row, but also have another unrelated switch (10) linked to a patch. I could just remap those particular switches (1, 6, 11 and 10) to the patches I want using the Tx Map, but then that removes IA capability for the rest of the switches in between that I want to use for effects instead of presets. I'm fine with programming the MFC as far as IA's go, as well as reconfiguring the bank size etc. but I don't know if THIS kind of remapping is even possible. I understand how MIDI CC's work in theory (somewhat) if that's the way to go, but don't really know how to implement or configure anything related to them.

If it helps to know - I have an Axe FX 2 mk2 connected to a an MFC-101 mk3 (I also have both Axe-Edit and MFC-Edit, but haven't really used MFC-Edit yet).

Appreciate any help or insight or discussion or anything!

Aman.

Just to double check - is this not quite possible and something I completely missed in the manual or on the forums somewhere? I did look a bunch but couldn't find anything conclusive

I don't think that you can re-map the MFC or AFX. Cliffs squeezes all the horsepower he can get out of both ;)

Hey all,

I'm a silent user of these forums, so please excuse my lack of activity on here - really appreciate everyone's help on so much thus far. I had an MFC question that I've not quite found a direct answer for yet, so I thought I'd finally post something, say hey and see what insight anyone else may have on this 'issue'. Essentially I wanted to know if there was a completely custom way to map the MFC-101, like so for example:

- Switches 1, 6 and 11 are linked to patches 000, 001 and 002 on the Axe FX (2, by the way)
- All other switches act as IA switches linked to effects, like on/off stomp boxes (except for 16 and 17 which are fine as is - and REVEAL, EDIT, UP, DOWN which I know can't be changed)

So essentially that means patch changes would be on a vertical column on the left instead of the bottom row, but also have another unrelated switch (10) linked to a patch. I could just remap those particular switches (1, 6, 11 and 10) to the patches I want using the Tx Map, but then that removes IA capability for the rest of the switches in between that I want to use for effects instead of presets. I'm fine with programming the MFC as far as IA's go, as well as reconfiguring the bank size etc. but I don't know if THIS kind of remapping is even possible. I understand how MIDI CC's work in theory (somewhat) if that's the way to go, but don't really know how to implement or configure anything related to them.

If it helps to know - I have an Axe FX 2 mk2 connected to a an MFC-101 mk3 (I also have both Axe-Edit and MFC-Edit, but haven't really used MFC-Edit yet).

Aman.

This was exactly what I was about to ask also! :)

Yeah that's why I was skeptical about it working, but since I don't understand MIDI too well I wasn't sure so I thought I'd look for a concrete answer. Oh well, thanks anyway!

And yeah, Erik - would be cool huh?

Deleted this post.

Note to self - don't post anything having slept a total of 6 hours in 4 days :disgust:

Last edited:
Hey all,

Aman.

Configure all switches as IA switches by setting Bank Size to 0. There will be no preset switches.
Now you configure switches 1, 6 and 11 to switch presets by setting the "PC" parameter (Edit > MIDI) to the desired value, and not assigning CC commands.
All other switches can be assigned to effects / CCs.

This will work, but you'll lose the benefits of real preset switches, such as lights. You can recover some of that functionality by linking (grouping) the "preset" switches.

Back
Top Bottom