MFC Power out?

Rick

Axe-Master
I have a Mission SP-2 that I have finally have working the way I want. This pedal uses a 9 volt power supply only to light an LED indicating which side of the pedal is engaged. I hate to have to run power to the stage front just for this (the MFC is already powered by the CAT5 cable).

Can anyone tell me whether or not I could jumper from the 9v barrel connector on the MFC (where it's power supply would plug in if it were not using the CAT5) to the SP-2 to power this LED. I don't know if the 9v barrel is parallel wired to the CAT5 power or if there is a diode in there preventing back flow. Power draw would be absolutely minimal, powering only the indicator LED (the pedal itself needs no power). I couldn't find anything on it in the manual.

I don't want to go mucking around in there and mess something up.

I tested this a while ago while running on CAT5 power. I read no voltage on the barrel connector.

The MFC-101 runs on DC.

I have tried splitting power from the CAT5 to power my LEDs and it did work. However, there is currently an unknown issue that, even with my expression pedal disconnected, fries the RS-422 chip on my Axe-Fx II.

I'd suggest against doing this.

The MFC-101 runs on DC.

No.

From the WIKI
"Use the supplied 9VAC adapter to power the MFC-101 directly. According to Fractal Audio 9VDC will also work, but DC doesn't work as well over long distances."

It even says 9vAC on the MFC-101
DC is not even mentioned in the current manual, at all.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will just figure out a way to mount a 9vdc battery and on/off switch in the SP-2. I also did not read any DC volts at the connector, but I didn't want to mess something up by actually connecting anything to it. It sounded like a good possibility anyway!

Ever notice how spoiled the Axe Fx makes you? At one time I could have wired New York City with all of the cables and cords I had running to and from my rig, now I find myself whining about one 9v adapter. My, oh my, how times have changed!!

You're right, just double-checked. I forget where I found DC; might have even been different equipment.

@Rick: I've always been like that with my equipment, hehe. Always trying to minimize. If you have a pedalboard, you could put your battery box and switch on that.

You're right, just double-checked. I forget where I found DC; might have even been different equipment.

@Rick: I've always been like that with my equipment, hehe. Always trying to minimize. If you have a pedalboard, you could put your battery box and switch on that.
That's actually a very good idea. I am sitting here looking inside the SP-2 trying to figure out the best place to mount a battery and switch (NOTE TO MISSION: This would be a common sense thing to offer as an option on this pedal, if you don't already). I haven't considered making a little battery box with a switch on it. Good idea!

I may also just have to give in and mount my stuff on a powered pedal board... hard headed. :) It would make it easier if the CAT5 cable crapped out or something. Choices, choices... But the more I think of it, the more I think having a little 9V battery powered supply handy wouldn't be a bad thing.

Alrightythen! I found a little box online from Adafruit Industries, cheap (under $4) and it holds a 9v battery, has an on/off switch, and a 5" connector cable with the 2.1mm plug. I bought 2, just to have a spare. I'm going to mount it on the SP-2 and simplify the whole "power the LED" issue.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/67

I have a Mission SP-2 that I have finally have working the way I want. This pedal uses a 9 volt power supply only to light an LED indicating which side of the pedal is engaged. I hate to have to run power to the stage front just for this (the MFC is already powered by the CAT5 cable).

Can anyone tell me whether or not I could jumper from the 9v barrel connector on the MFC (where it's power supply would plug in if it were not using the CAT5) to the SP-2 to power this LED. I don't know if the 9v barrel is parallel wired to the CAT5 power or if there is a diode in there preventing back flow. Power draw would be absolutely minimal, powering only the indicator LED (the pedal itself needs no power). I couldn't find anything on it in the manual.

Yes sir, Cliff's comment on not extracting more power or voiding the warranty made this one a no-brainer... got the battery boxes coming!

Did it work?

if you have midi cables plugged into the axe and the mfc and using the ethernet , cant you run a phantom power off the axe through the midi and simply power something else with it instead of the mfc... that way you wont fry anything on the axe or mfc and you will still have a 9volt
option to use on anything else ?

Back
Top Bottom