MFC MK III ~ Axe XL mainly switch and preset questions.

mwd

Power User
My new ‘used’ MFC Mk III arrived last night and the orientation began. Plug it in, factory reset, set channels and modes and off to the brain drain. Owners manual on desktop, then forum on browser, then wiki on another tab with youtube on another. Got it working, communicating, bought the editor and finally got it sending and receiving.

So I am searching BUT I wanted to ask about 5 direct scenarios for now based on my limited understanding.

1. There are 4 exp. pedal inputs on back of MFC and 2 switch ports in the form of 1/2 and 3/4. Is there an advantage, or necessity, to using say Expression 1 on the MFC vs the back of the Axe FX? Other than cord length?

2. Could I leave my expression plugged into 1 on the Axe and use 1 on the MFC for something different without conflict?

3. Could I use Switch 1/2 on the MFC and my Boss FS6 assigned to CC’s to increase and decrease the preset volume so I could keep the MFC switches freed up?

4. What is the advantage of using the presets in the MFC vs presets in the Axe? Is there more lag time?

5. I have a Voice Live and I have a mute preset and a talk preset as I don’t sing most of the night so no point in my mic making noise. Could I use my Boss FS6 on my VoiceLives MIDI channel, via the MFC switch ports, and send a program change to turn my mic on/off?

Anyone that could point me in the right direction on any or all of these would be appreciated.

My new ‘used’ MFC Mk III arrived last night and the orientation began. Plug it in, factory reset, set channels and modes and off to the brain drain. Owners manual on desktop, then forum on browser, then wiki on another tab with youtube on another. Got it working, communicating, bought the editor and finally got it sending and receiving.

So I am searching BUT I wanted to ask about 5 direct scenarios for now based on my limited understanding.

1. There are 4 exp. pedal inputs on back of MFC and 2 switch ports in the form of 1/2 and 3/4. Is there an advantage, or necessity, to using say Expression 1 on the MFC vs the back of the Axe FX? Other than cord length?
Not really that I can think of... But unless you need more than 4 expression pedals, it's usually simpler to connect to the MFC.

2. Could I leave my expression plugged into 1 on the Axe and use 1 on the MFC for something different without conflict?
Yes
3. Could I use Switch 1/2 on the MFC and my Boss FS6 assigned to CC’s to increase and decrease the preset volume so I could keep the MFC switches freed up?
Yes, you should be able to do that with most switches. I think it requires a non-latching switch. You will need to set them up to send the correct CC for volume increment/decrement
4. What is the advantage of using the presets in the MFC vs presets in the Axe? Is there more lag time?
Do you mean Preset Mode?
5. I have a Voice Live and I have a mute preset and a talk preset as I don’t sing most of the night so no point in my mic making noise. Could I use my Boss FS6 on my VoiceLives MIDI channel, via the MFC switch ports, and send a program change to turn my mic on/off?
I'm not sure on this one. I think so, but not sure if external switches have the same ability to operate in none Axe Fx mode.
Anyone that could point me in the right direction on any or all of these would be appreciated.

Do you mean Preset Mode?

First thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if it's preset mode or not. I was just reading that the MFC stored 384 presets and they started with a 'P' prefix and the Axe Presets had an 'X' prefix and wondered what the application would be for using MFC presets instead of the Axe.

As well I think I found the answer to 5. I read external switches can send cc but not pc. I need pc unless I can find and on/off mute triggered from cc.

the MFC can be used with non-Fractal gear. in that case, it stores its own "preset" information, separate from the other unit.

but the best way to use it with Fractal gear is to use it in "Axe-Fx" mode. in that case, MFC presets ARE the Axe presets. the MFC just tells what Axe preset to load.

Ahhh.... did not think of that. Thank you. However makes me wonder if I wanted the first 5 switches to chose presets on the Axe that weren't aligned.... say
MFC Button 1 chooses Axe preset 20
MFC Button 2 chooses Axe preset 129
MFC Button 3 chooses Axe preset 220.
etc.

What would be the best way to accomplish that without using MIDI mapping on the Axe itself? If even possible?

Perhaps via MFC presets?

Ahhh.... did not think of that. Thank you. However makes me wonder if I wanted the first 5 switches to chose presets on the Axe that weren't aligned.... say
MFC Button 1 chooses Axe preset 20
MFC Button 2 chooses Axe preset 129
MFC Button 3 chooses Axe preset 220.
etc.

What would be the best way to accomplish that without using MIDI mapping on the Axe itself? If even possible?

Perhaps via MFC presets?
SWAP/move the presets on the Axe. it really isn't worth using "MFC presets."

again, just think of the MFC accessing the Axe data. want it moved on the MFC? move it on the Axe.

Would require a major revamp. My first 128 presets are 4 preset songs triggered by computer firing MIDI. Reprogramming would be fairly brutal as it will be firing simultaneously to an Ultra and XL.

I wanted to step on the first 5 or 10 presets on the MFC to choose the second bank on the Axe for manual selection for jamming.

Would require a major revamp. My first 128 presets are 4 preset songs triggered by computer firing MIDI. Reprogramming would be fairly brutal as it will be firing simultaneously to an Ultra and XL.

I wanted to step on the first 5 or 10 presets on the MFC to choose the second bank on the Axe for manual selection for jamming.
You can use preset mapping on the Axe Fx or you could explore Set list Mode on the MFC.

Reactions: mwd
I had hoped to use Ax Preset Transmit Map so I could MIDI map in the MFC and leave mapping alone in the Axe but it doesn't work exactly as it describes. Preset 1 to 128, Preset 2 to 129, Preset 3 to 130 for example do work but these examples take place in 2 banks. On a 10 preset bank presets 1 & 2 are in one bank and 3 thru 10 are in another.

I need something that no matter what bank I'm in I can Press Button 1 and get Preset 128 etc. In a sense it describes it can do this but it doesn't (unless I'm in some wrong bank mode).

So I created a song called My Favs and assigned 10 presets. That is the way I wished it worked BUT if my computer fires preset 200 that is not reflected in the MFC. It is still sitting on the last preset I used in song mode.

So close and yet so far...lol. I can toggle between preset & song mode kind of make it work.

Back
Top Bottom