MFC midi in port usage options

ivanhoe

Is anyone using the FASLink cable to connect the MFC to the Axe Fx while also using the midi in port of the MFC to connect other devices.
I have a bunch of midi controller items and am looking for a way to kind of extend the MFC. I was mainly wondering if setting the MFC to echo to midi out on the axe FX and having other devices send midi info into the MFC midi input would result in those other messages getting echoed to the axe midi out port. Obviously the MFC would still need to work properly with FASLink.

I don't think it will work like this.

I'm not 100% sure, mind you, but I think I've read somewhere that you cannot use both FASLink and MIDI ports on the MFC simultaneously. Even if you can, FASLink doesn't work as a Thru port.

If you simply want to forward MIDI messages, send them to AFX MIDI In and they will be automatically forwarded to AFX MIDI Thru.

If it's something more complex, maybe you will explain what you want to achieve in some greater detail?

I have various midi controlled devices in a rack connected to the axe-fx II XL midi out, I have an MFC-101 connected via faslink with 4 external switches connected to mfc. Currently I have MFC configured to control some of those devices sending midi messages and passing through the axe-fx and being feed out to other rack devices. There are two things I am looking to do, one since some of the midi devices are time based I am looking to get a midi clock devices and use that to feed the timing to both the axe-fx and since the axe-fx does not let midi clock through split it and feed the other midi pedals. The second is to have another smaller midi control device maybe 4 more switches and have it feed through the MFC without needing to run more cables to the pedal board. With the setup I am already using the axe-fx midi input and output and was hoping possibly there was a way to use the MFC as if it was another input, where messages can be put through that the MFC and axe-fx can ignore but just let pass through.

Check out MFC's MIDI implementation chart in the manual. As far as I remember, it doesn't either accept or send beat clock. Also, with regard to adding that additional controller, MFC only accepts PC messages, I'm afraid.

Generally, for a complex setup like yours daisy-chaining everything isn't very reliable. Maybe you should consider getting an external device that would do routing and syncing. Like a MOTU MIDI Express.

Back
Top Bottom