MFC Labels from basic P-Touch label maker

Lkdog

Power User
Probably old news to the veterans here, but I made some labels here for the MFC using a basic Brother P-Touch label maker and the TZ e335 1/2" tape (Black tape with white letters).

They came out pretty good and was able to put little rounded borders on the labels also.

I borrowed the label maker from work, and bought the tape from Office Max for $17.99.

Will post pictures later.

The TZ e335 suggestion was from an old thread on here.

Anyway- FWIW............

Looks very professional ... how well do they stick and how messy if you have to remove one?

Looks very professional ... how well do they stick and how messy if you have to remove one?

They are laminated and supposedly withstand, "heat, cold, abrasion, spills, and UV".
A little thinner than electrician's tape.
Not sticky or residue leaving or marring, but adhere really well.

I put a test piece on and pulled it off without much trouble at all.
It is very thin and lays flat.

I see I should have lined them up a little better. :)

You get 26 feet of tape for the $17.99 so one can make a lot of these when you decide to change things.

I just got this MFC used and still sorting out how I want to configure it.

My MFC has been labelled since I got it with just a P-Touch. Didn't put any effort into making it look nice, just printed the words I wanted and stuck 'em on. Haven't had a problem with them coming off or anything, and haven't had any problems seeing them on stage (just the same white on black like you've got).

My rack panel is also labelled with the same stuff, although I had to print a lot smaller and cut the label to size to fit 'em on there. But again, they've all stayed put and I can read 'em perfectly fine. I also use it to label cables, particularly stuff like in the back of the rack. So if for whatever reason I have to say pull the interface panel out, all the cable mounted plugs have labels with 'em so I don't have to trace the cables from the chassis mount end through the cable tied mess to figure out which one was which. Basically I just print the label, then feed a bit of extra tape through after it, stick it on the cable and fold it over on to itself to make a tag kinda thing.

Only problem I have is remembering what I meant by certain abbreviations. Stuff on the rack like i2L is easy (rather obviously, "input 2 left", but I've got a few cables that I cleverly labelled a few years ago, but these days have no idea what they mean. :lol

or stick the P-Touch label onto a refrigerator magnet and cut the magnet to size with a scissors.
Cheap magnetic labels that you can move around if you want to.

Here's a video: How To: Magnetic Labels - YouTube

You can buy small sheets of 3" wide x 4" long x 3/32" thick magnet material at Walmart. They are pre-cut to break apart in
1/2" x 4" strips. Perfect for the Brother label tape, then cut to length. These are way better than the refrigerator magnet material
because of a much stronger magnetic field they stay put better. They have a sticky side. You put the Brother tape on the
sticky side of the magnet and get double glue strength as well. They work great......try'em.

Great thread. For a while there I thought I was the only one who prefers this sort of thing to those flashy kicktags ;)

Back
Top Bottom