Wish MFC installer Bug on Mac

ChrisYoung

Inspired
When the message pops "an update is available", I hit ok.
But then it asks me for my admin password. On a Mac you can actuallu not enter a password and just enter and that way when your installing software you dont have to enter a password, You just push enter and installers go ahead with the installation process.
The MFC installer does not like that. It wants a password. If not, you'll keep getting messages from the MFC installer that you've entered the incorrect password and the installer will get caught in some kind of loop, that you can't force quit or stop. So you have to re-boot your Mac.
Okay, so I re-boot and set up a 4 digit admin password. I go through the process of verifying it on the apple cloud. The just for safety, re-boot my Mac once again. At that point I open the MFC editor and try it again.
In the past, this process would work. This time around it does not. It just keeps popping up that I need to enter an Admin password, and then tells me my password is "invalid". Then about every 60 seconds, more of these boxes will just keep popping up.
Give it a try. Remove your admin password and try an MFC install. Then go back an add an admin password and you'll see what I'm talking about.
At this point, I guess I need to uninstall it and then re-install.
Thanks,
-Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 12.46.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 12.46.06 PM.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 4
I went to my Fractal online account and looked up the original download link for the MFC Editor. It's from March 1st 2016. When I downloaded the install software, the link apparently was not updated to the current software, because what I ended up downloading was the software version that was out at that time, 2 years ago. So when I ran it for the first time, I got the same dialog. An update was available, and then it asked me for my admin password, which again, it did not like. So the loop started all over again. I had to re-boot my mac to make it stop.

Same issue here. Assuming you’re on Mojave as well?

... my suspicion is it has something to do with the new privacy entitlements in 10.14 and the oascript for the updater functionality is not able to get the privs necessary to validate the admin password. In my experience applescript is very buggy with the new privacy and security model unfortunately, there’s seemingly no way to declare your scripts intention for complication within applescript itself, all solutions i’ve seen involve scripts as apps and even then the native mechanisms still seem unreliable.

I went to my Fractal online account and looked up the original download link for the MFC Editor. It's from March 1st 2016. When I downloaded the install software, the link apparently was not updated to the current software, because what I ended up downloading was the software version that was out at that time, 2 years ago. So when I ran it for the first time, I got the same dialog. An update was available, and then it asked me for my admin password, which again, it did not like. So the loop started all over again. I had to re-boot my mac to make it stop.
I just remembered that MFC-Edit downloads a backup copy of the update file into its MFC-Edit UserHome folder before it tries to authenticate and update itself.

If you check inside the "MFC-101" folder (in the Finder if you select Go -> Home, it should be in there in its default location at least) you should have an "mfc-edit-mac.zip" file, double click to unzip that, double click the newly unzipped "mfc-edit.dmg" file that results, then run the standard package installer "mfc-edit.pkg" on the mounted disk image... that should work to apply the latest update. Just tried on my Mac and it worked for me. I see in the release notes it has "Enhancement: Added support for OS X Mojave installations", so probably will updated okay in the future once the 8.4 version is applied I'd bet.

Same issue here. Assuming you’re on Mojave as well?

... my suspicion is it has something to do with the new privacy entitlements in 10.14 and the oascript for the updater functionality is not able to get the privs necessary to validate the admin password. In my experience applescript is very buggy with the new privacy and security model unfortunately, there’s seemingly no way to declare your scripts intention for complication within applescript itself, all solutions i’ve seen involve scripts as apps and even then the native mechanisms still seem unreliable.

Back
Top Bottom