MFC inadvertently goes into Install Firmware mode

Randall d

Experienced
I was at a gig, when I went to switch to the preset for the first song my MFC went into Install Firmware mode. So it was locked up. I cycled power to it and no difference. I finished the set by changing presets on the AxeII directly and between sets switched to my backup AX8. I took it home after the gig and looked in the instruction manual on how to exit Install Firmware mode and found nothing on it. So I did what you do to get it into that mode (hold down switch #1 while powering it up) and it went back to normal operation. But I had lost all my setup programming (switch assigns). I took it the next night to my gig (thinking it must have just been a fluke) and it went back into Install Firmware mode after the first song again. I exited it by holding down Switch #1 while powering up, but of course I had lost all my setup programming again. Has anyone else experienced this? Any help? It is an original MFC101.

Sounds like maybe switch 1 is stuck? Otherwise maybe the MFC has a battery and it had died? I've never heard of one, but that is the type of behavior you would get with something like that.

@bwanagary - any ideas?

My guess would be a dirty and/or stuck switch 1 as well. It's a MkI, MkII or MkIII?

Yup, Mark I. Thanks, I will check that out. It makes sense to a degree; though I would think it would come up as waiting for a firmware update as soon as it powered up as opposed to after I push a switch (with it already powered up). I need to explore this some more to see if I can pinpoint what action precedes it going into Install Firmware mode.

I have had no time to work on this, but I thought I would throw in a couple more details. As I said I took it to my gig Saturday night and I was able to use the IA switches to switch effects in and out, but none of the Preset (bottom row) switches worked. I also use those switches for Scenes in the Reveal mode and they didn't work for that either. I remember both nights I started with preset 5 and then tried to switch to preset 2 on that same bank and instead it went to preset 1 on that bank and would not respond to any more preset switches or bank switches. But the IA switches worked. I just had to switch presets from the AxeII front panel and live without Scenes (tap dancing all night). Any more ideas?

I have had no time to work on this, but I thought I would throw in a couple more details. As I said I took it to my gig Saturday night and I was able to use the IA switches to switch effects in and out, but none of the Preset (bottom row) switches worked. I also use those switches for Scenes in the Reveal mode and they didn't work for that either. I remember both nights I started with preset 5 and then tried to switch to preset 2 on that same bank and instead it went to preset 1 on that bank and would not respond to any more preset switches or bank switches. But the IA switches worked. I just had to switch presets from the AxeII front panel and live without Scenes (tap dancing all night). Any more ideas?

The ribbon cable is loose.

Okay, I re-seated my ribbon cables and loaded the most recent firmware in my MFC. But for some reason I am unable to get back to where I was with my MFC programming. I have one Mission SP1 w/switch and LED. I use the SP1 to switch between volume (using a Volume block) and wah. I plug the expression pedal into Expression Pedal 2 on the MFC and the switch into External Switch 1&2. I went through Chris's setup video again and got everything working as before except I can't get the switch to engage/bypass the Wah and Volume blocks. In my Wah block and my Volume block, my Bypass Modifier Source is set to External 2. But I can't remember how to get my MFC External Switch assigned to that. It all worked before the firmware upgrade, so I know the AxeII is programmed right, but I can't get the MFC setup properly. I am just missing it somewhere. Can someone help me with this?

The switch CC# needs to match the Ext Ctrl CC#. (Axe default for Ext Ctrl 2 is CC#17.) See MFC manual for details on adjusting XS settings.

Okay, I re-seated my ribbon cables and loaded the most recent firmware in my MFC. But for some reason I am unable to get back to where I was with my MFC programming. I have one Mission SP1 w/switch and LED. I use the SP1 to switch between volume (using a Volume block) and wah. I plug the expression pedal into Expression Pedal 2 on the MFC and the switch into External Switch 1&2. I went through Chris's setup video again and got everything working as before except I can't get the switch to engage/bypass the Wah and Volume blocks. In my Wah block and my Volume block, my Bypass Modifier Source is set to External 2. But I can't remember how to get my MFC External Switch assigned to that. It all worked before the firmware upgrade, so I know the AxeII is programmed right, but I can't get the MFC setup properly. I am just missing it somewhere. Can someone help me with this?

On the MFC: EDIT -> MIDI -> 4 pages left -> Check if the CC# assigned matches the
CC# of EXT CRTL 2 on the Axe (I/O -> CRTL page)

Back
Top Bottom