Bug? MFC gives up. Bug? Cable? User?

exleper

Inspired
I have this weird issue where sometimes the MFC either stops responding, or the patch name on the screen only shows the preset number. Both issues are fixed by just unplug/replug the cable.

Here is what I noticed:
- I have the newest firmware but it has happened on previous versions.
- It only happens at gigs, not at home. Maybe heat issue? I do sound check, then leave it all on until we play. We usually do a 3 hour set with a 15 min break in the middle. The only reason I can think of that it only happens at shows is that it's the only time my rig is on for a long period of time. At home it's on for maybe an hour at a time. I don't think it could be a dirty power issue because it happens at all different venues and I just use the ethercon cable so the pedal doesn't have it's own power source.
- It doesn't seem to be tied to a preset. As far as I can tell the lockup seems random. Also, the Axe-FX II continues to function normally so I can finish the song on the current preset. Then I reset the footswitch when the song is over.

I should mention that I do have a mission sp1 attached. It doesn't happen all the time which makes it harder to troubleshoot. Maybe once every 7 shows.

I don't know if I am stomping on multiple switches on accident and confusing it? Is this a common problem? FW bug? Over heat issue? Ethercon cable issue?

Has anyone else seen this?

I've been beating on the same Mark I MFC since 2011, gigs indoors and out, from scorching hot to freezing cold. Never had that issue as a result of environment.

I have seen it when I have had a poor connection or something set wrong. I suggest first swapping out the cable you are using, and inspecting the connections on both ends to be sure there is no damage. Obviously, the MFC is a mechanical device and can have a defect or something broken but I would check all the easy possibilities (connecting cables, settings, connectors) before delving deeper. Most of the time, the problem can be identified by eliminating what it isn't.

Back
Top Bottom