MFC FASLINK mod

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
Originally I was thinking of following user PATZAGs excellent ethercon mod for MFC
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/40223-ethercon-mfc-101-missing-link.html

But the arrival of the FASLINK made me think of how to implement these instead. I opened up the MFC since I wanted a solution where I could fit the FASLINK inside the MFC with a XLR connection at the front (pretty much like the MFC Mk III).

Turns out the FASLINK couldn't really fit inside the MFC but after some tinkering I came up with this solution. Please note that any modifications on your own will void your warranty. My unit is a Mark I and warranty long gone.

I took the FASLINK apart leaving only the small PCB board and connectors and then I could fit/fix it between two rows of switch PCB-boards.
IMG_20140812_200109.jpg

Soldering a short CAT5 cable to the PCB board (Ethernet pins, its standard color coding) and plug other end into the FASLINK adapter
Short XLR cable from FASLINK and solder other end to a XLR connector
IMG_20140812_210553.jpg

Installed at front
IMG_20140812_211214.jpg

Originally I was thinking of following user PATZAGs excellent ethercon mod for MFC
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/40223-ethercon-mfc-101-missing-link.html

But the arrival of the FASLINK made me think of how to implement these instead. I opened up the MFC since I wanted a solution where I could fit the FASLINK inside the MFC with a XLR connection at the front (pretty much like the MFC Mk III).

Turns out the FASLINK couldn't really fit inside the MFC but after some tinkering I came up with this solution. Please note that any modifications on your own will void your warranty. My unit is a Mark I and warranty long gone.

I took the FASLINK apart leaving only the small PCB board and connectors and then I could fit/fix it between two rows of switch PCB-boards.
View attachment 22784

Soldering a short CAT5 cable to the PCB board (Ethernet pins, its standard color coding) and plug other end into the FASLINK adapter
Short XLR cable from FASLINK and solder other end to a XLR connector
View attachment 22785

Installed at front
View attachment 22786

Nicely done! Now the 'F' in 'MFC' stands for Midi Franken-Controller 101 :)

Nice work! The soldering part would probably make me screw it up. (I'm color blind.) But that's a very neat mod. 8)

Soldering part was worrying me too, not because of color blind issues, but because of crappy handy-man skill issues, but taking things slowly and it wasn't too bad. Get a buddy to allocate the colors and you be done in no time ;)

I've been waiting for you, Obi-Patzag. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master. ;)

Too funny. I actually read your post and the voice in my mind was totally Darth! Cool mod, man. If I get myself an XL on day, I may yet attempt your feat. May the force be with me then!

I hate to bump an old thread, but do you get "AXE FX NAME TIMEOUT" on the MFC-101 while using the FASLINK mod? I just recently picked up a modded MFC 101 MK1 with a faslink mod and I cant for the life of me figure out how to get it to display what my Axe FX II XL+ displays.

Back
Top Bottom