MFC Error 14 on

gvolp

Hello all,

I am having trouble updating the MFC to v2.01. It sends fine, I get to "100% Complete" (strangely never says "FW Update Complete" from Craig's great posts, thanks for those). I waited 10 mins after the 100% Complete the second time I tried. It never changed so I then power down the MFC and then hold down switch 11, power up and I get Error 14. I also get Error 14 when I don't hold down switch 11.

Particulars
Windows 7 with Axe FX upgraded to FW 6 (all went great here)
Using MIDI OX and AxeFX as my MIDI interface - I am using the power cord and not CAT5
Configuring MIDI OX I had both in and out buffers set at 256 & 16 and the milliseconds at 60

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

On Win7/64 using the USB to AXE II to MFC I've set MidiOx to:

Milliseconds between buffers: 90 ms
Delay After: 60 ms

and I get reliable transfers; I've gotten Error 14/partial transfers/100% but no confirmation message, etc. on a previous update and those numbers have worked for me for several MFC upgrades now (I get FW UPDATE COMPLETE!! on the first try)...try that configuration perhaps?

For transfering firmware via USB -> II I can set both of those MidiOx times to 20mS and get fast, reliable transfers.

Last edited:
check the wiki Yeks MFC-101 How-Tos page - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

especially this part
"MIDI utilities may need to be configured to work "slowly" in order to perform a successful upgrade. For example, in MIDI-OX set Low Level I/O Buffers to 256 or 128 (size) and 16 (number), Milliseconds Between Buffers to 60 ms, and make sure the Delay after F7 setting is ticked. Use View > Sysex to bring up the Sysex view window, then go to Sysex > Configure to configure the buffers. Also verify that the options MIDI FIlter and Pass Sysex are ticked"

I had same problem but after configure sysex to 128/16 and also set delay after F7 to 75ms it works and i got the proper "FW update complete"
dont know which of the parameters that did the trick but it worked for me. now if you excuse me, I have some playing to do ;)

I've had this happen to me and it has always been resolved by slowing things down even more. Change your delays to 150 ms. The download will take longer but hopefully you should get to the "FW Successfully Updated" message.

i use sysex lib and got to 99% when i got an error 13. I lowered the speed 4% and it worked next go around....

Just wanted to give you all a quick update - I have tried many times with no success. I really appriate all the help, this forum and all users and Fractal are awesome.

I have tried about every combo I can stand this evening. Going to start playing rather than fighting this. I'll have another go at it again when my patience returns.

Thanks again for all the help.

Finally got it

Well I got back to it this morning, and finally got it to work after much persistence. After about the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] time sending the update it finally worked. A few things I tried that may help others are:
Reinstalled MIDIOx, redownloaded MFC FW code, tried several different MIDI cables, kept fiddling with buffer sizes and other params as instructed by other helpful forum members. The last 5 times I tried it, I stuck with the parameters shown below and it finally worked.

I created my own version of the instructions for people having trouble using the Axe as a MIDI interface. Special thanks go out to Cobbler for a very helpful post (of which I scarfed a screenshot, thanx). Here it is FWIW. Hope it helps someone.
  1. On Axe FX hit the I/O button then navigate to the MIDI page using page buttons:
    1. Set the SEND_REALTIME_SYSEX to NONE
    2. Set the USB_ADAPTER_MODE to ON
    3. Power down the Axe-Fx II
  2. Remove the CAT-5 cable between Axe-Fx II and MFC-101
  3. Connect Axe-Fx MIDI-OUT to MFC-101 MIDI-IN with a 5-pin cable (don’t need 2 cables)
  4. Power up the Axe-FX II
  5. Start up computer (with Axe connected via USB)
  6. Power up the MFC-101 while holding down footswitch 1 (I use power cable, I hear you can use CAT5 as well for power?) – Should see “FW Update Mode” on MFC display.
  7. On computer, start MIDI OX and from its user interface
  8. From main window, choose View->Sysex
    1. From the menu on the new window that appears, choose Sysex->Configure – Look at Picture 1 Below
    2. Change these values
      1. Low Level I/O Buffers: Size = 256, Num = 16
      2. Both Milliseconds parameters: 90 (from a default of 60)
    3. Press OK to close this window, then close the Sysex window.
  9. From main window, choose Options->Midi Devices – Look at Picture 2 below
    1. From MIDI Outputs list (lower left) click on AxeFX. It should now appear in the Port Mapping list (upper right).
    2. Click OK button to close the MIDI Devices window.
  10. From main window, choose Actions->Send File
    1. Navigate to the .syx file and double click the file
  11. You should now see the % Complete steadily go up on the MFC:
    1. If you see “FW Update Complete” on the MFC then rejoice – go to step 12.
    2. If you see Errors or “100 % Complete” power down the MFC only.
      1. Try again by repeating steps 6, 10 and 11.
      2. I kept trying and it worked after about the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] time. Persistence finally paid off. I would get various errors (6, 14, 17) along the way.
  12. Shut down MIDI Ox and the MFC and remove the power and MIDI cables from MFC.
  13. On Axe FX hit the I/O button then navigate to the MIDI page using page buttons:
    1. Set the SEND_REALTIME_SYSEX to ALL
    2. Set the USB_ADAPTER_MODE to OFF
    3. Power down the Axe-Fx II - wait 5 secs then repower up the Axe FX
  14. Reconnect the CAT5 cable to the MFC while holding down switch #11 on the MFC
    1. Restore by pressing the red blinking ENTER switch #14 on the MFC
  15. Rock on
Sorry couldn't figure out how to integrate without messing up numbering
Picture 1

1.jpg
Picture 2

2.jpg

I can't seem to be able to get past Error 14!! I've tried midiox and snoize(sys lib), the axe II and 2x2 midisport, 3 different midi cables, changed buffer speeds, switched Sysex messages off on axe, USB on. Nothing works! This happens every update but have gotten lucky. Guess I'll just keep trying until it works. Frustrating to say the least!

Finally after about 2 hours moving the Sysex lib slider up 2 notches down 2 up 4 down 1, reaching 99% 3 times.... The words update complete read on the glowing green screen!! What a relief!!! There's got to be an easier more reliable way to update the MFC! Luckily it doesn't happen as often as the Axe.

congrats champion, I know that feeling too. I reached 100% complete a few times but no further. Now enjoy - there are so many cool additions

Sorry for your troubles, but thanks for the help. I followed Yek's how-to and it worked first time, but I hadn't done the very last step to "Restore." Prior to doing that, the MFC wasn't updating from changes to Axe Edit or the Axe FX, but now they're all working in sync. I've been waiting/hoping for this to happen with any midi controller for about 3 years now, so very happy about that.

Thanks dude! That worked like a charm. What I was missing was step 14 and slowing the IO down.

This forum rocks!

Well I got back to it this morning, and finally got it to work after much persistence. After about the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] time sending the update it finally worked. A few things I tried that may help others are:
Reinstalled MIDIOx, redownloaded MFC FW code, tried several different MIDI cables, kept fiddling with buffer sizes and other params as instructed by other helpful forum members. The last 5 times I tried it, I stuck with the parameters shown below and it finally worked.

I created my own version of the instructions for people having trouble using the Axe as a MIDI interface. Special thanks go out to Cobbler for a very helpful post (of which I scarfed a screenshot, thanx). Here it is FWIW. Hope it helps someone.
  1. On Axe FX hit the I/O button then navigate to the MIDI page using page buttons:
  3. Connect Axe-Fx MIDI-OUT to MFC-101 MIDI-IN with a 5-pin cable (don’t need 2 cables)
  6. Power up the MFC-101 while holding down footswitch 1 (I use power cable, I hear you can use CAT5 as well for power?) – Should see “FW Update Mode” on MFC display.
    1. From the menu on the new window that appears, choose Sysex->Configure – Look at Picture 1 Below
    2. Change these values
    1. From MIDI Outputs list (lower left) click on AxeFX. It should now appear in the Port Mapping list (upper right).
      2. I kept trying and it worked after about the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] time. Persistence finally paid off. I would get various errors (6, 14, 17) along the way.
  12. Shut down MIDI Ox and the MFC and remove the power and MIDI cables from MFC.
  13. On Axe FX hit the I/O button then navigate to the MIDI page using page buttons:
  14. Reconnect the CAT5 cable to the MFC while holding down switch #11 on the MFC
  15. Rock on
Picture 1

View attachment 10762
Picture 2

View attachment 10763

Thanks dude! That worked like a charm. What I was missing was step 14 and slowing the IO down.

This forum rocks!

2. Change these values
  15. Rock on
Picture 1

View attachment 10762
Picture 2

View attachment 10763

Thanks for this post, I updated but for error 14 a few times , was
Following cobbles post, when I followed this thread and powered mfc back up whilst connected to axe it worked first time cheers

Back
Top Bottom