MFC-Edit Version 3.0 Released!

bwanagary

Administrator
We've been very busy for a couple of months incorporating the most requested feature enhancements for the MFC-101. And you don't even have to update your firmware :). This is more than an update – its a legitimate upgrade of MFC-Edit that you'll want to get your hands on. We have focused on your natural workflow in this latest version 3.0. We've made it even more powerful and at the same time even simpler to use.

MFC-Edit Version 3.0 is finally out. See screen-shots below!

• 25-character long Song Names – no more 7-character limit
  • Direct communication with the MFC-101 – no need to launch Fractal Bot
  • Copy/Paste whole Presets or only certain elements of Presets to/from other Presets
  • … and more …
The official editor for the MFC-101 is now even better. And the best of all, the update is free.

Capture your MFC-101 dump directly into MFC-Edit - (and transmit it back, of course!)
SysEx_Receive_v3.0.jpg

And craft your Sets with friendly, 25-character long Song names
Sets with palette-v3.1.jpg

Rock On!

Do you need to run through the Axe for the grabs and dumps? Or is it a straight midi into the MFC from the computer?

I'm not 100% certain what your're asking but I'll try to respond.

The MFC-101 can only dump (backup) sysex over MIDI, after all a System Exclusive MIDI message is exactly that - a sysex message. Your computer likely doesn't have a MIDI interface and you need some kind of USB-to-MIDI adapter/interface. The Axe-Fx can be used as a USB-to-MIDI interface, albeit a rather expensive one :). Provided you have a way to connect the MFC-101 MIDI ports to your computer it should work. Do you have a MIDI interface or PCi card in your computer? I'd be curious to know how that works ;-).

As long as your computer can perform reliable MIDI I/O with the MFC-101, you should be able to select the MIDI device in the drop-down from the MFC-Edit transceiver window and it "should" work. I've only tested USB/MIDI interfaces and cables.

Was that at all helpful?

Should I be updating this in the MFC-Edit program itself? When I click on Help/Check For Updates, nothing happens....

I see why Fractal chose you as a software "partner". It relies on quick customer care.
I run XP because it works and my many odd applications just dont work in Windows 7.
But you just fixed things in 20 minutes, even if you could have thought (nahh, the Dude is running a late Java version - don't have time for that).

Makes sense - thank you so very much.

Anyone else having problems loading MFC Edit v3 with Java version 8 update 31 on Mac OS X 10.10.2? I keep getting a loop asking me to install Java and then when it says it is installed it says it is not detected and tries to install again.

Hey Gary,

I have MFC-Edit installed on my machine - Win8 64 bit. I am running 3.06 on the MFC Mark II, and 17.4 on the Axe II XL. I ran a sysex dump to my second sound card , that I use for Midi only. It is connected directly to the MFC. When I load that sysex file into MFC Edit I don't get any MFC-101 Preset Names in the Presets and Ext Devs tab. They populate in the Global Preset field, and if I increment the preset number I get the name showing in the ALT-Preset field under the Global Preset field, but I don't get anything in the MFC-Preset Name field - they all say MFC-101. Am I misunderstanding how it works? I expect from the documentation that that field should pre-populate from the sysex file. I have no problem with Preset Names apopearing on the MFC from the Axe.

I also worry that I only see 389 preset slots, not the full 767 I get from Axe Edit.

I appreciate any help - I may not be able to try your suggestions until tomorrow night, but I will check in from time to time. I am psyched - this seems like a nice app!

Presets and PCs and CCs, Oh my!

Hi Joe1871;
Yes, you do misunderstand how the MFC-101 works. Thanks for a great description of your setup and your "problem", by the way - its easy to help you out with such great detail.
The first thing to know is that your connection and 2nd MIDI card configurations are all good and the sysex dumps are perfect. MFC-Edit will not load up a file that is imperfect - its all or nothing. If MFC-Edit loaded the dump file then its guaranteed good. There's only one Global Preset in your MFC-101. Each of the 384 presets in the MFC-101 (there are ONLY 384 presets in an MFC-101 regardless of how many you have in your Axe-Fx/XL) can have a name. The presets in the MFC-101 are not the same as Presets in the Axe-Fx. Please read "Presets and PCs and CCs, Oh my!" on page #8 and the section on "The PRESETS and EXT. DEVS Page" on page 18 of the MFC-Edit Owner's Manual as well as Section 4.3 of FAS' MFC-101 Owner's Manual for a detailed explanation - both are accessible from the Help menu. The name you see changing underneath the Global Presets information is actually the Axe-Fx preset name, if you have imported the Axe-Fx Presets List from an Axe-Edit export.
If you read those sections (don't want to replicate them here so as not to clutter the forum) then it will become clear to you.

* One tip that I will give you is that if you want, you can drag/drop the Axe-Fx preset name into the MFC-101 Preset name field. But read the manual to understand the pros and cons.
-G

Hey Gary,

I have MFC-Edit installed on my machine - Win8 64 bit. I am running 3.06 on the MFC Mark II, and 17.4 on the Axe II XL. I ran a sysex dump to my second sound card , that I use for Midi only. It is connected directly to the MFC. When I load that sysex file into MFC Edit I don't get any MFC-101 Preset Names in the Presets and Ext Devs tab. They populate in the Global Preset field, and if I increment the preset number I get the name showing in the ALT-Preset field under the Global Preset field, but I don't get anything in the MFC-Preset Name field - they all say MFC-101. Am I misunderstanding how it works? I expect from the documentation that that field should pre-populate from the sysex file. I have no problem with Preset Names apopearing on the MFC from the Axe.

I also worry that I only see 389 preset slots, not the full 767 I get from Axe Edit.

I appreciate any help - I may not be able to try your suggestions until tomorrow night, but I will check in from time to time. I am psyched - this seems like a nice app!

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry about that. I uploaded the wrong code to the server in my haste. I fixed it this morning around 9am Eastern Time. Go ahead and re-download it - it'll work just fine.

Hey Gary,
can I pls get a download link for the update?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom