MFC-Edit program - New Video Overview of Version 1.5

bwanagary

Administrator
You don't have to download and install MFC-Edit to evaluate it.

I've received numerous requests for a useful video overview of the MFC-Edit editor program for the MFC-101. Nobody actually said that the other one "sucked" but ... the requests kept coming so I broke down and made this short video. I know people don't like having their time wasted or being subjected to a hard-sell so this video is fast-paced and covers all the features at a high level and it definitely isn't a professional sales pitch ;).

Go ahead and check it out on YouTube here:

P.S. I made a mistake in one part of the narrative where my commentary doesn't exactly match the on-screen feature demonstration :roll - extra points if you notice it :lol

- later - make that two :)

Last edited:
Nice program, what's the preferred (easiest) method for connecting to the MFC when doing these edits/transfers? That might be good info to include here (in text), for those that have not used the editor.

Nice program, what's the preferred (easiest) method for connecting to the MFC when doing these edits/transfers? That might be good info to include here (in text), for those that have not used the editor.

Good idea Axel - thanks! I think that the preferred method is Fractal Bot for now. The native SysEx upload/download feature of MFC-Edit is brand new and I use it for my own needs, but until it has been released for MAC and Windows after testing for a couple of months I would stick with Fractal Bot. That being said, I've used MIDI-OX a lot, even on LINUX and its super reliable. I use the MIDI ports on the MFC-101 for SysEx upload/download only and have fantastic reliability. USB would be nice and MIDI is a little archaic for this functionality but until there's an MFC version with built in USB we just live with MIDI.

I've been meaning to purchase this for some time now. I just need some clarification on the Song Mode feature. If there are 15 presets to a song, would I lose the scenes feature? I tried reading the manual and I just don't understand it. How would those presets be accessed within a song? I've always had my MFC in preset mode and I would just bank up/down through our set list. I would only need 1 preset per song and switch through scenes throughout the song. It's been a pain to rearrange my set list and preset order every week and I think MFC-Edit is the perfect solution for me. I just need to know if I'm understanding everything correctly before I buy this.

I've been meaning to purchase this for some time now. I just need some clarification on the Song Mode feature. If there are 15 presets to a song, would I lose the scenes feature? I tried reading the manual and I just don't understand it. How would those presets be accessed within a song? I've always had my MFC in preset mode and I would just bank up/down through our set list. I would only need 1 preset per song and switch through scenes throughout the song. It's been a pain to rearrange my set list and preset order every week and I think MFC-Edit is the perfect solution for me. I just need to know if I'm understanding everything correctly before I buy this.

It's a great question Home Skillet. I use Scene's extensively and I mostly use SETS mode. At least one of my songs has all 8 scenes used. So, no, you won't lose Scenes in SONG or SET mode. Just be sure to program some IA Switches to perform SCENE INCR and SCENE DECR. So that you can cycle through them. Or did you have random-access in mind for the Scenes?

-G

You won't lose any scenes. I'll reply at greater length but I have to go to a gig right now.
Have a great weekend.
-Gary

I'm back. Scenes are "intra-preset". It doesn't matter how you select the preset, but once you are in it you can select any scene. Assuming you have designated switches to that purpose.
If you have a bank Size of 5 you can try setting IA Switches 6-10 to select scenes 1-5 for example. My rig is all packed up right now and I can't test it so I don't want to give you a bum steer, but I'm certain there are other ways to do this also. However, you definitely won't lose your Scene capability. As for purchasing the program - it won't matter which program you buy, or if you use the MFC-101's internal editor, they all control the same features of the MFC-101. You can of course download MFC-Edit for free and try it out for a week before the demo expires. If you don't find it helpful then there's no point in purchasing it when the demo expires. There's no obligation.

Cheers
-G

I bought your program and was excited to use it but cannot get an mfc
101 sys dump to work on my mac with the latest fractal bot.

I read others are having similar issues. Can you confirm that you are able to backup your mfc (I wasted my evening yesterday trying to accomplish this and am quite frustrated)?

Thanks

There are quite a few people having trouble taking a backup, mostly people new to the MFC-101, but there are many thousands not having trouble with it.
I would check your delays - 9 times out of 10 that's the problem. Delays of between 80ms and 120ms seem to be the magic range. Also, make sure that you delete Fractal Bot entirely from your machine before installing the latest version. If your cables worked before but suddenly don't any more, check the firmware in your MFC-101. Make sure that you have the latest. Also make sure that nothing besides the power supply and your MIDI cables are connected when taking the sysex dump just in case. Try the "Slow Dump" option just to see if that works. You could also download the "Snoize" program from here: snoize: SysEx Librarian and try that.
Failing that, open a ticket with Fractal Audio support. They're pretty good about getting back to you.

Back
Top Bottom