Mfc edit newb, dumb question

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I just installed mfc edit and am having a hard time seeing the big picture on how this works.

Sooo... Does the mfc load a completely new setup for each preset? In other words the way all the IA buttons are set up. I just want to have the same setup for all my presets so I'm not understanding why presets are loaded back and forth between the axe and mfc edit. If you've actually read this whole post you will realize by now that I'm failing miserably at understanding this.

I think you need to understand completely how the MFC-101 works first. The editor, MFC-Edit, just allows you to configure the MFC-101.

The MFC-101 has 384 presets. Each one of those presets will call up one of the Presets in your Axe-Fx.
The IA Switches are like little stomp-boxes - each IA Switch controls just one effect, regardless of the Preset selected. So if, for example, you have IA Switch #6 engaging/bypassing (turning on/off) the CHORUS block, it will engage/bypass the CHORUS block in all Axe-Fx Presets that contain the CHORUS block. IA Switches are global by default. They control one block only, and the same block in every preset.

Drag the block you want to control from the Effect Block palette (on the right of the Virtual MFC-101) onto the IA Switch you want to use to control that block. Then no matter which Preset is loaded, that IA Switch will control that block in every Axe-Fx preset. MFC-Edit basically makes a static configuration of all of the parameters of your MFC-101, then you upload that configuration to your MFC-101.

There are a gazillion ways to change the "default/standard" behavior of switches, but this is the most common scenario. You can read the MFC-101 Owner's Manual from the Help menu in MFC-Edit. There are two very important parameters that must be set for the IA Switches to be the same across all Presets:
  1. The Axe-Fx mode on the BASE CONFIG page must not be set to "None". It should be set to the model of your Axe-Fx from the drop-down list
  2. In the IA Switches page, in the third column from the left, labeled "Axe-Fx Func" you must not have "None" selected. Instead select the effect you want on that switch by clicking on the cell and selecting the effect block you want it to control across all Presets. Alternatively, you may, from the Virtual MFC-101, drag an effect block from the effects palette on the right and drop it on top of the IA Switch you wan to control that effect in the Axe-Fx.
IA Switches control blocks in the Axe-Fx presets. If a block isn't present in a particular preset then that IA Switch won't have any affect on it.

It's really important to understand how the MFC-101 works. The MFC-101 Owner's Manual is excellent in explaining that. Also, Chris has some great videos on his web site that you should look into at axefxtutorials.com

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I am about to start reading the mfc manual. One thing I don't understand from your reply though, if all the IA buttons are static, then what do the mfc presets change?

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I am about to start reading the mfc manual. One thing I don't understand from your reply though, if all the IA buttons are static, then what do the mfc presets change?
When you switch MFC presets a new preset in the Axe-Fx is selected.

Back
Top Bottom