MFC controlling other midi devices

Bigtim

Inspired
Apologies I'm sure that this has been done to death, but wanted to check.

I'm loving my axe fx and have drastically cut down the rest of my rack, but I do still use my H9 and Korg A3 in the effects loop. (I have them both in stereo in series in the axe loop and use a couple of G-lab loop switches to provide true bypass.)

At the moment I use a G-lab GSC 4 midi foot controller which is great because it allows something crazy like 20 PC or CC messages at the press of one IA footswitch. BUT I'd love to have preset names on the floor with my foot controller which obviously the G-lab can't do.

My concern with the MFC is that it doesn't have the 'midi power' to control my whole rig (unless I'm reading the manual wrong)

Basically I would want to do two things.

1) when I select an axe preset, I want to also send at least 3 PC messages to set up the other kit (additional CC messages after the PC messages would also be great but not essential)
2) I want to set up on the MFC a number of IA buttons to change axe scenes within a preset AND send either 3 PC or CC messages to the other kit (on whatever channels I want).

Can the MFC do this?

Don't think you can send 3. I think you can send 2 custom CC messages from an IA switch.
Not sure you can do this with a scene though... that might be one of the cc's. I'm not 100% on that though, it's been a while since I've looked at it, but I do know the MFC manual covers this topic.

Apologies I'm sure that this has been done to death, but wanted to check.

I'm loving my axe fx and have drastically cut down the rest of my rack, but I do still use my H9 and Korg A3 in the effects loop. (I have them both in stereo in series in the axe loop and use a couple of G-lab loop switches to provide true bypass.)

At the moment I use a G-lab GSC 4 midi foot controller which is great because it allows something crazy like 20 PC or CC messages at the press of one IA footswitch. BUT I'd love to have preset names on the floor with my foot controller which obviously the G-lab can't do.

My concern with the MFC is that it doesn't have the 'midi power' to control my whole rig (unless I'm reading the manual wrong)

Basically I would want to do two things.

1) when I select an axe preset, I want to also send at least 3 PC messages to set up the other kit (additional CC messages after the PC messages would also be great but not essential)
2) I want to set up on the MFC a number of IA buttons to change axe scenes within a preset AND send either 3 PC or CC messages to the other kit (on whatever channels I want).

Can the MFC do this?

Hello,

Did you ever get your question below figured out? if so, how is this done?

Can the MFC do this?

I can get things to work if I keep my additional midi device at the same midi channel as the axe fx. Midi 1. However there are some issues doing it this way. I've tried changing the additional midi equipment to Midi 2 but i can not change channels on the other midi equipment with the mfc if set to 2.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hello,

Can the MFC do this?

I can get things to work if I keep my additional midi device at the same midi channel as the axe fx. Midi 1. However there are some issues doing it this way. I've tried changing the additional midi equipment to Midi 2 but i can not change channels on the other midi equipment with the mfc if set to 2.

Thank you
You can send multiple PCs from the same preset switch. See here (from the manual) for some info:

7F54CBD3-18DD-4467-9137-A4F6444D6C35.jpeg

A general purpose IA can send 1 PC and 2 CCs:

7F54CBD3-18DD-4467-9137-A4F6444D6C35.jpeg

I would really recommend purchasing MFC-EDIT for these complex setups.

Attachments

• D976C80E-8EEC-4EDC-BDCA-43F0E984DA7E.jpeg
    D976C80E-8EEC-4EDC-BDCA-43F0E984DA7E.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 2
You can send multiple PCs from the same preset switch. See here (from the manual) for some info:

View attachment 51158

A general purpose IA can send 1 PC and 2 CCs:

View attachment 51158

I would really recommend purchasing MFC-EDIT for these complex setups.

I got it all working great! I did not have the instant access functions set to none. Once I did this it all worked as it should. I guess that's why when referencing the manual you should always start at the beginning of the section and not jump right into the middle. lol

Thank you very much!!

Scott

By the way, the Axe-Fx III addresses this need with the Scene MIDI block.

But that’s limited to scene changes only, right? You can’t have a switch dedicated to other gear on an FC, as far as I understand.
Not yet... But Cliff commented elsewhere that it would be trivial to add it (this was a while back, maybe it already WAS but we just don't know). I suspect it will eventually be added.

Read about what? The FC setup is already in the Axe Fx III.

Do you mean Cliff's comment?

The way I interpreted your comment is that there's some MIDI functionality apart from the MIDI block in the III.

My understanding from what I've read so far is that all MIDI-related stuff is in this block. So if you want to use an FC6/12 for controlling other gear is to use whatever is provided in the MIDI block. And I talked about it in relation to this post:

By the way, the Axe-Fx III addresses this need with the Scene MIDI block.

The way I interpreted your comment is that there's some MIDI functionality apart from the MIDI block in the III.

My understanding from what I've read so far is that all MIDI-related stuff is in this block. So if you want to use an FC6/12 for controlling other gear is to use whatever is provided in the MIDI block. And I talked about it in relation to this post:
since the fc 6/12 is unreleased, only the beta testers actually know how it works, and they're not talking. give it a couple of weeks and then we'll all know what cliff's got up his sleeves.

The comment from Cliff that I referred to was about adding a function to the FC to allow a button press to trigger midi to be sent from the Axe Fx.

The midi block as far as I'm aware is not associated with the FCs. It is tied to scenes and so could be used by any midi controller that can perform scene changes (or even limited to PCs as all presets load a scene when they load).

@unix-guy I think I know which post you are referring to, thanks. I don't think it mentions any potential implementation details, but I understand now what you mean.

We'll see...

Hello,

Can the MFC do this?

Thank you
No never really answered (but I have to say neither did I read the manual that carefully :) )

Ended up building my own footcontroller

Back
Top Bottom