MFC can't update over CAT5e?

NY Guitarist

Power User
I posted this in another thread but felt it might be useful as a separate topic for those, who like me, RTFM but still don't fully comprehend what is needed to update the MFC.

Asking to confirm: The ONLY way to update the MFC firmware is to use a MIDI cable? And using Cat 5e is a NO-GO?

And I can use the Axe-2 as a MIDI interface to do the update? FWIW I actually did RTM but am still uncertain.

"Damn it Jim, I'm a musician... not an IT guy!"

If you use the Axe Fx as your Midi interface, you need a cat5 cable, 1 five pin midi cable, and a midi librarian like Midi-OX. The instructions are on the WIKI and in the documents that come in the zip file with the download.

I am, to put it mildly, no expert with this but I just followed the instructions and updated mine. The only oddity in the instruction on one of the pages is it listed powering up the MFC before turning on the Axe II, then powering on the MFC with the 1 button held down. I didn't quite get how to power it up twice... so I just powered it up holding down the #1 button after the Axe II was running. It worked fine.

If you use the Axe Fx as your Midi interface, you need a cat5 cable, 1 five pin midi cable, and a midi librarian like Midi-OX. The instructions are on the WIKI and in the documents that come in the zip file with the download.

I am, to put it mildly, no expert with this but I just followed the instructions and updated mine. The only oddity in the instruction on one of the pages is it listed powering up the MFC before turning on the Axe II, then powering on the MFC with the 1 button held down. I didn't quite get how to power it up twice... so I just powered it up holding down the #1 button after the Axe II was running. It worked fine.

Rick is that contradiction on the wiki? It's not in the zip file is it?

Thanks Rick! I just found more docs in the MFC -2.1 zip file and am about to read them now.

Too bad I don't have a MIDI cable anywhere near me to try this tonight. Oh well... tomorrow.

Rick is that contradiction on the wiki? It's not in the zip file is it?
Matt, The release notes with the firmware were right. I couldn't remember which I was reading when I came across that. The WIKI shows powering the MFC before and after the Axe II, which I didn't think you could do. Just confused my feeble mind for a sec.

Note to all until WIKI is corrected... the Fractal notes are right. Need to remove "Connect the power supply to the MFC-101" part and all is good on both.

WIKI Section here:
To upgrade using the Axe-Fx II as a USB-to-MIDI MIDI adapter: Source
Connect the Axe-Fx II to your computer, through USB.
In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to NONE, and UsbAdapterMode to ON.
Power down the Axe-Fx II.
Remove the CAT-5 cable between Axe-Fx II and MFC-101.
Connect the Axe-Fx II's MIDI-OUT to the MFC-101's MIDI-IN with a 5-pin MIDI cable.
Connect the power supply to the MFC-101. <<<<<<
Power on the Axe-FX II.
Power on the MFC-101 while holding down footswitch 1 (enters firmware update mode). <<<<<<<
Send the new firmware with a MIDI librarian, such as MIDI-OX or SysEx Librarian, from your computer to the Axe-Fx II.
Power down the MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II.
Remove the MIDI cable and reconnect the CAT-5 cable.
Power on the Axe-Fx II.
In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to the desired value, and UsbAdapterMode to OFF.

I just discovered this myself after downloading the latest MFC firmware update. I sold my MIDI Firewire interface after receiving my Axe-II, not foreseeing this issue. Now I either need to buy a new MIDI interface just to perform MFC updates or else find a friend who can perform the update for me. :(

So, if we do not have midi cable we are stuck ? :( Can't it really be done with the cat5 ? :(

Yes, you need a MIDI cable. 5-pin will do. Always has been so, the MFC was released before the Axe-Fx II introduced full USB connectivity. A simple MIDI cable will do, and it's a matter of just a few minutes. Luckily you can use the Axe-Fx II as the USB-to-MIDI interface, as explained in the wiki and firmware notes.

Yes, you need a MIDI cable. 5-pin will do. Always has been so, the MFC was released before the Axe-Fx II introduced full USB connectivity. A simple MIDI cable will do, and it's a matter of just a few minutes. Luckily you can use the Axe-Fx II as the USB-to-MIDI interface, as explained in the wiki and firmware notes.
Thanks Yek...I hadn't read that.

The MFC is picky though, for me at least. 2 of my 3 i/fs, it won't update with. I have to use my netbook and and my oldest MidiSport 4x4.

I went through all the backup-ing and updating my MFC with AXE II as midi interface today and worked great. just pay attention and follow the wiki and you will be good. I had to fiddle abit with the midi buffer for my update but that is also suggested in the Wiki. Just one 5-pin midi cable is needed

Back
Top Bottom