MFC -> Axe II Ethernet Troubleshooting

npx

Inspired
I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with the Ethernet communication between my MFC-101 (FW 2.02) and my Axe FX II (FW 6.02). This connection has worked flawlessly for the 4 months that I have had the Axe II until suddenly a few days ago patch names no longer displayed on the MFC and I eventually get the Axe-Fx name Timeout notification. Patch changing still works, although no IA data is available on the MFC and 8 or 9 audio dropouts occur while the MFC attempts to retrieve the extra information before giving up.

The Ethernet cable is high quality, tests perfectly, and I have tried others (brand new, also testing perfectly) to be doubly sure that it isn't the issue.

The MFC is set correctly to communicate via the Expansion port.

No Total Sync, USB or Axe Edit involvement.

I have inspected the physical ports on the Axe and the MFC and I can't see any obviously bent pins etc. There is an ever so slight amount of flex in the MFC ethernet port itself, but this is probably just due to the fact that it is PCB mounted.

Since I got the Axe II I have been using Ethercon breakout boxes on both ends of the connection, so the physical Axe/MFC ports themselves haven't been subjected to repeated plugging/unplugging abuse. (Obviously I have been troubleshooting with these boxes removed.)

The only other thing I can think of to try is to check the solder joints on the MFC's ethernet port, in relation to the slight flexing there. Before I open the MFC up (it's out of warranty) to have a look, is there anything else I should try? I'm really not enjoying going back to the old Midi cable and extra wall wart routine!

Does it work properly with the midi cable and wall wart? You didn't say.

On the AXE FX II "Sent sysex = ALL" is set correct? Based on your description it seems information are sent correctly from the MFC to the AXE FX, but the AXE FX don`t sent all neccessary informations back to the MFC ?!

EDIT: Ok, if it`s work correct via MIDI sent sysex cannot be the problem... sounds to me as defect ... time to call support, i think ;)

On the AXE FX II "Sent sysex = ALL" is set correct? Based on your description it seems information are sent correctly from the MFC to the AXE FX, but the AXE FX don`t sent all neccessary informations back to the MFC ?!

EDIT: Ok, if it`s work correct via MIDI sent sysex cannot be the problem... sounds to me as defect ... time to call support, i think ;)

Yes, I've played with the send realtime sysex settings and it is sent to ALL. I have sent an email to support, but figured I'd post here too as it is a weekend.

Back
Top Bottom