MFC Availability 2013?

Yes, that was the explicit promise, to allow purchase later at the lower price

I just looked at the MFC-101 order page and it says that if you get a code, you can purchase one for $749. I thought I read somewhere that if you reserved one at the time it was around $699, they would honor that price. When I reserved mine, the price was around $699. Any word on that?

Yes, that was the explicit promise made, to allow people on the wait list to purchase at the discounted price offered at the time that they entered the list. In my case, that would be $700.00, minus 50 for buying it (or trying to) concurrently with the AxeII, which was in effect when I purchased my AXEII, and which they explicitly promised they would honor.
I fully expect them to make good on that clearly stated promise, and I fully expect that I will receive notice very, VERY soon, now that they have stock, as I entered the list in Mid Dec, Literally a DAY after they ran out of stock.

The offer they made said NOTHING about having to wait behind people who are willing to pay a thousand dollars. It said those on the list would receive their units in the order in which they were on the list, and with no other stated conditions.

So I would fully expect to receive my notice to purchase a unit at the promised price of $650.00 tomorrow, as they are now officially in stock.

I will continue to respond here and update everyone on the situation of someone who MUST be at the very beginning of the list.

Yes, that was the explicit promise made, to allow people on the wait list to purchase at the discounted price offered at the time that they entered the list. In my case, that would be $700.00, minus 50 for buying it (or trying to) concurrently with the AxeII, which was in effect when I purchased my AXEII, and which they explicitly promised they would honor.
I fully expect them to make good on that clearly stated promise, and I fully expect that I will receive notice very, VERY soon, now that they have stock, as I entered the list in Mid Dec, Literally a DAY after they ran out of stock.

The offer they made said NOTHING about having to wait behind people who are willing to pay a thousand dollars. It said those on the list would receive their units in the order in which they were on the list, and with no other stated conditions.

So I would fully expect to receive my notice to purchase a unit at the promised price of $650.00 tomorrow, as they are now officially in stock.

I will continue to respond here and update everyone on the situation of someone who MUST be at the very beginning of the list.

Thanks!! I hope you're right!

They need to look after the people who have been waiting! Jacking the price to $1000 and not honoring the wait list at orignally promised price isn't going to be very popular....

They need to look after the people who have been waiting! Jacking the price to $1000 and not honoring the wait list at orignally promised price isn't going to be very popular....

The only thing I can think of that makes sense of this is the old AE2 dept is now in charge of the marketing dept.

Last edited:
They're sending out the purchase invites now; got mine today. Unfortunately, there's no apparent way to apply the gift certificate. I spent an hour on it before giving up. Hope there are some left after work tomorrow.

When did you get on the list? Anyone else get an email?

They're sending out the purchase invites now; got mine today. Unfortunately, there's no apparent way to apply the gift certificate. I spent an hour on it before giving up. Hope there are some left after work tomorrow.

They need to look after the people who have been waiting! Jacking the price to $1000 and not honoring the wait list at originally promised price isn't going to be very popular....

Sadly, this is economics 101. Supply and demand. Limited supply, so if they can get more money, they will. I guess they figure that people wouldn't be willing to spend that much for the product and would be willing to wait, but since people are willing to spend that much on e-bay for a used one, they would get those people that absolutely can't wait.

I also guess there are some that won't purchase the unit right away when they get their code for whatever reason, so they're playing the odds. I hope my number comes up soon!

Sadly, this is economics 101. Supply and demand. Limited supply, so if they can get more money, they will. I guess they figure that people wouldn't be willing to spend that much for the product and would be willing to wait, but since people are willing to spend that much on e-bay for a used one, they would get those people that absolutely can't wait.

I also guess there are some that won't purchase the unit right away when they get their code for whatever reason, so they're playing the odds. I hope my number comes up soon!

No it is not economics 101, or any such thing.

The guys at fractal are very honest, straight up people, and I simply cannot believe that they would engage in dishonest, illegal business practices. I believe that you will be charged the amount that was explicitly promised that you would given as a member of the wait list at the time of purchase, and if you have a difficult time figuring out how to achieve that, simply email or call sales@fractalaudio.com, or, better yet, call the main number and enquire as to how to achieve it. They said that the wait list has first priority, and ALWAYS said that we would be served first, based on entry date to the wait list.

To do otherwise would be illegal, and I am not willing to believe that Fractal would engage in that sort of practice based on what I know about them as a company.

See the definition of bait and switch below:

Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also practiced in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods are not available, or the customers are pressured by sales people to consider similar, but higher priced items ("switching").

The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin.
[edit]Legality

In the United States, courts have held that the purveyor using a bait-and-switch operation may be subject to a lawsuit by customers for false advertising, and can be sued for trademark infringement by competing manufacturers, retailers, and others who profit from the sale of the product used as bait. However, no cause of action will exist if the purveyor is capable of actually selling the goods advertised, but aggressively pushes a competing product.
Likewise, advertising a sale while intending to stock a limited amount of, and thereby sell out, a loss-leading item advertised is legal in the United States. The purveyor can escape liability if they make clear in their advertisements that quantities of items for which a sale is offered are limited, or by offering a rain check on sold-out items.
In England and Wales it is banned under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.[1] Breaking this law can result in a criminal prosecution, an unlimited fine and two years in jail.

No it is not economics 101, or any such thing.

The guys at fractal are very honest, straight up people, and I simply cannot believe that they would engage in dishonest, illegal business practices. I believe that you will be charged the amount that was explicitly promised that you would given as a member of the wait list at the time of purchase, and if you have a difficult time figuring out how to achieve that, simply email or call sales@fractalaudio.com, or, better yet, call the main number and enquire as to how to achieve it. They said that the wait list has first priority, and ALWAYS said that we would be served first, based on entry date to the wait list.

To do otherwise would be illegal, and I am not willing to believe that Fractal would engage in that sort of practice based on what I know about them as a company.

See the definition of bait and switch below:

Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also practiced in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods are not available, or the customers are pressured by sales people to consider similar, but higher priced items ("switching").

The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin.
[edit]Legality

In the United States, courts have held that the purveyor using a bait-and-switch operation may be subject to a lawsuit by customers for false advertising, and can be sued for trademark infringement by competing manufacturers, retailers, and others who profit from the sale of the product used as bait. However, no cause of action will exist if the purveyor is capable of actually selling the goods advertised, but aggressively pushes a competing product.
Likewise, advertising a sale while intending to stock a limited amount of, and thereby sell out, a loss-leading item advertised is legal in the United States. The purveyor can escape liability if they make clear in their advertisements that quantities of items for which a sale is offered are limited, or by offering a rain check on sold-out items.
In England and Wales it is banned under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.[1] Breaking this law can result in a criminal prosecution, an unlimited fine and two years in jail.

What are you even talking about? They are simply offering units at MSRP to people who want it now and believe they won't get one on the wait-list. Which from the looks of it no one has received an email.

I feel like this thread isn't doing a lot of good right now. There is naturally going to be a turn-around period after Fractal receives their shipment (quite recently) before they are able to ship them out individually to buyers. Let's stick to facts and avoid speculation.

Facts as I understand them so far...
1. Fractal has received the shipment of mfc-101s.
2. They will send purchase invites to the wait-list in order.
3. Mongoose_eyeball says he has received an invite from a December 23 wait-list entry.
4. I have not received an invite yet from a December 28 wait-list entry.

We don't know how large the wait-list is and we don't know how many units are currently available at Fractal, so assuming that wait-list people are going to lose out on a unit from this shipment to a new buyer paying $999 is not grounded in facts at this time. Is there a "chill-out" smiley?

What are you even talking about? They are simply offering units at MSRP to people who want it now and believe they won't get one on the wait-list. Which from the looks of it no one has received an email.

First and foremost, The promise was that people on the wait list had first priority, based on their place on the list. before any other customers. Second, explicit promises were made on the sales web page that the current prices would be honored, and that in the case of buying concurrently with an AXEII, a further discount would be honored.

Otherwise, what exactly would the function OF the waitlist be?

Your understanding of it would imply that the waitlist is for people who are kept on the hook for this product, based upon the knowledge that they may never get the product (as long as enough other people want to by them at super inflated prices) , and that the price would be whatever the company decides it wants it to be at the time that they decide to sell it to you (it has been raised another 50 bucks to 800 if you have not noticed) I think that is the "wait to get ripped off" list, and that was not the one I signed up for. Why would ANYONE submit to such a list? Whats the point. You are not guaranteed a time of delivery, any sort of priority, or even a stable price.

Indeed, the clear promise made, was that people on the wait list had priority over others based on their entry date to the list. The clear promise made was that the price available at the time of entry to the list would be honored. If, despite those clear promises, all the units can be sold at 1000 by simply waiting out the people on the list, forcing others to pay that price based on the existence of the list, but never, or PAINFULLY SLOWLY delivering to people ON the list, who will all eventually either drop off, or simply pay the 1000 dollars to get the unit now, well, that is absolutely illegal, and dishonest, and not the sort of behavior that I would expect from the guys at Fractal.

Conversely, if they are servicing the list AT THE PROMISED PRICES, and servicing it quickly (which would mean that I would be among the first, as I signed up on Dec 14th, a day after their stock ran out) Then I would imaging that it would only take a few days to or a week to get the list cleared. and if they knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have enough to fulfill the list, and want to sell a few to others who want it now at a grand, then let the market work.

Anything else would be Bait and Switch, and would be illegal and dishonest. So, If I, a guy who is RIGHT AT THE TOP OF THE LIST, is informed that they have sold out, or does not receive my unit for many more months, or if they refuse to honor their promise of selling the unit to me at the price available at the time of my entry to the list, then you can rest assured that there is something really fishy, and in fact down right illegal going on.

I, however, refuse to believe that is the case. I think they will service the list quickly and with first priority, honor the prices promised, and remain the company that they have always been.

From my waitlist confirmation email from Fractal Audio

"waitlist@fractalaudio.com
12/14/12

to me
--- DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ---

THIS EMAIL CONFIRMS YOUR PLACE ON OUR LIST FOR AN AXE-FX II or MFC-101."

While we can't tell you your current place in line, or how long the wait will be, we can tell you that are moving through the list with no challenges.

Just so it is clear, I was added to the list on 12/14/12, So, reports of people from later in the month must either be incorrect, or there is something going wrong with the administration of the list.

Just so it is clear, I was added to the list on 12/14/12, So, reports of people from later in the month must either be incorrect, or there is something going wrong with the administration of the list.

I agree. Contact Fractal and ask about it. That's what I would do if I learned that someone from January had received an invite.

No need to speculate. You alone get to decide if $250 is worth jumping to the front of the line. There is no bait or switch. You choose the risk level.

Kudos to Fractal as this is a genius business strategy. In case you are still unsure here's your answer:

FROM FRACTAL:

We are currently processing a WAIT LIST for MFC-101 orders. The direct price has been temporarily increased to $999 so we can offer wait list customers with discount codes a first chance to purchase. Other customers may purchase for $999, or wait for the wait list to be cleared at which point the price will return to $749. If you'd like to be added to the waiting list, please email waitlist@fractalaudio.com

Discount codes are being sent out in the order that requests were received.

Please be patient... we'll make enough units for everyone!

We don't know how large the wait-list is and we don't know how many units are currently available at Fractal, so assuming that wait-list people are going to lose out on a unit from this shipment to a new buyer paying $999 is not grounded in facts at this time. Is there a "chill-out" smiley?

We are ALL new buyers to this specific sale's cycle. Some of you will be getting a discount coupon and some won't. You get to choose if you want to wait for the coupon to come in the mail or just buy it at MSRP now. Why is this so hard to understand?

We are ALL new buyers to this specific sale's cycle. Some of you will be getting a discount coupon and some won't. You get to choose if you want to wait for the coupon to come in the mail or just buy it at MSRP now. Why is this so hard to understand?

vkc, I think people's issue is that there are limited number of units. And to have FAS sell those units at $1,000, and then not have enough units to sell to the people that have been on the wait-list for months is going to really piss people off.

vkc, I think people's issue is that there are limited number of units. And to have FAS sell those units at $1,000, and then not have enough units to sell to the people that have been on the wait-list for months is going to really piss people off.

Understood.

The risk is greater the lower down the list you fall. Unfortunately you can't quantify that level of risk without knowing 1) how many are on the list, 2) how many units are available, and 3) how many are willing to pay MSRP.

There is NO WAY to know #3 and THAT is the unknown. Fractal took the fairest route I believe. Why should the guy who got on the list in December be any different than the guy who just bought an AXEFX yesterday. I think the discount option:MSRP is fair to all involved. I think Fractal will adjust the list dependent on #3 (in the wait list favor) if units start flying off the shelf at MSRP. It's all dependent on #3. In fact some waitlist customers may have moved on and will not be purchasing.

It's really an individual risk assessment. Heck, I would have paid $1500. - but don't tell Fractal that...cuz I feel I got a great deal.

Back
Top Bottom