MFC Alternatives Feature Comparison

I owned the midi raider for a few weeks. Very easy to program. It also can send 36 midi messages per preset.. Does 5 preset 10 IA so that's pretty nice-does others also 15 AI's if wanted. Has 2 EXP pedal inputs. I am thinking of getting another one. At least I could do sysex dump to save all my stuff on it.Canb't even do that with my lowly midmate. It is built like a tank also and nice level increments so it's easier to press the buttons.
All in all-for $399 it's tough to beat in that price range.
Now If I can only lk
ose that "I have to have an editor" feeling I'd be ok.
EDIT: I need to add that the Midi Raider was only available from "small" online stores. No big chains had it. Now, even the small stores (only 3 actually) are all out of stock?????

Last edited:
The LF+ JR+ and LF+ 12 (non LCD) would be a Group 2. The LF+ has non LCDs (multicolored LEDS instead), the JR+ has LED, but fewer buttons. Otherwise, I belive the all have the same features.

Okay, here's the latest update....

GROUP 1:
- FAMC Liquid Foot LF+ 12+ (reviewed by funny_polymath in post #11 and #2, and by Rocket Brother and javajunkie in posts #7 and #8 )
- Gordius LG-X (eXtended) or "Big Little Giant" (reviewed by MisterE, post #16)
- Gordius LG or "Little Giant" (not yet reviewed; identical to LG-X except is cheaper and has 12 footswitches instead of 17)

GROUP 2:
- FAMC Liquid Foot LF+ 12 (identical to 12+, but cheaper and has little lights instead of LCD screens beside each footswitch, though main LCD display is still the same)
- FAMC Liquid Foot Pro (not yet reviewed)
- FAMC Liquid Foot Jr (not yet reviewed)
- Rocktron Midi Raider (reviewed by Stratman68 in post #21)
- Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro (reviewed by Rick in post #4)
- RJM Mastermind (not yet reviewed)
- Peak FCB8N (reviewed by Muzza_Boogie in post #15)
- Behringer FCB1010 (reviewed by sasha in post #9)
- Rocktron Midi-Mate (reviewed by Rick in post #4)
- Roland FC-200 (reviewed by Rex in post #20)
- ADA MC-1 (reviewed by bobmeredith in post #19)

I think that's it so far; does anyone have a review for the RJM Mastermind? Or any other options not yet listed?

Sean

The jr+ has the LCD's. I ordered one and should have it by Thursday. :) It only has 8 buttons on top but 4 in back-(after 1 exp pedal) gives me 3 more IA's, bank up\down whatever. I am really glad I finally made a choice. With all the pages I will be set.
Honestly - the pages and the SOFTWARE EDITOR are what sold me. In this day and age, especially for someone like me, studio only, the editor is the only way to go.

I would like to add an additional controller:
The line6 FBV / FBX.

you can use it with a POD in between or with a special interface box:

AxeFX control via Line6 FBV without any POD or so - YouTube

I'm starting up the production again for a new batch of interfaces.

What I was missing with all MFC's, LF's, etc. are the integration of a good expression pedal.
The action of the FBV of line-6 is great in my opinion. Especially with the additional switch.

Sean

The jr+ has the LCD's. I ordered one and should have it by Thursday. :) It only has 8 buttons on top but 4 in back-(after 1 exp pedal) gives me 3 more IA's, bank up\down whatever. I am really glad I finally made a choice. With all the pages I will be set.
Honestly - the pages and the SOFTWARE EDITOR are what sold me. In this day and age, especially for someone like me, studio only, the editor is the only way to go.

The parenthesis was on the LF+ 12 not the jr+.

fcb1010 with eureka prom : its pre programmed can do anything, I have the wah on one exp. pedal, and a switchable whammy, volume on another. I have 10 effects. There is also a mode with 10 favorite presets. All I could want EXCEPT looper function, with eureka; It is possible in the native form.

Sean

I would NEVER go back to trying to set up a pedalboard to interact with a complex critter like the Axe (plus send MIDI patch changes to my other rack gear!) without an editor. Never, ever, ever. I dunno how you guys do it!

Don't forget the Lexicon MPX-R1 for Group 2. Cheap second hand and has the option to be powered via midi cable (pins 6&7). Very tidy on stage.

It's programmable and flexible and has a built in CC pedal (for Wha / Vol etc) and also has 2 relay outputs for switching other gear (Amp channels etc).

(Now if we could just get the Bi-Coloured LEDs to sync up with the Axe we'd be laughing!)

Damien

Don't forget the Lexicon MPX-R1 for Group 2. Cheap second hand and has the option to be powered via midi cable (pins 6&7). Very tidy on stage.

It's programmable and flexible and has a built in CC pedal (for Wha / Vol etc) and also has 2 relay outputs for switching other gear (Amp channels etc).

(Now if we could just get the Bi-Coloured LEDs to sync up with the Axe we'd be laughing!)

Damien
Of course, it (almost) goes without saying that all Liquid Foot controllers can also bepowered this way.

Also, Gordius makes an add on for the fcb1010 that expands the functionality. It has a screen , which I believe allows you to access the tuner display as well, among other things.

Okay, here's the latest update....

GROUP 1:
- FAMC Liquid Foot LF+ 12+ (reviewed by funny_polymath in post #11 and #2, and by Rocket Brother and javajunkie in posts #7 and #8 )
- Gordius LG-X (eXtended) or "Big Little Giant" (reviewed by MisterE, post #16)
- Gordius LG or "Little Giant" (not yet reviewed; identical to LG-X except is cheaper and has 12 footswitches instead of 17)
- RJM Mastermind GT (not yet released, looks similar to FAMC LF+ 12+ except bigger, with 22 buttons, plus works easily w/other RJM products)

GROUP 2:
- FAMC Liquid Foot LF+ 12 (identical to 12+, but cheaper and has little lights instead of LCD screens beside each footswitch, though main LCD display is still the same)
- FAMC Liquid Foot Pro (not yet reviewed)
- FAMC Liquid Foot Jr (not yet reviewed)
- Rocktron Midi Raider (reviewed by Stratman68 in post #21)
- Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro (reviewed by Rick in post #4)
- RJM Mastermind (not yet reviewed)
- Peak FCB8N (reviewed by Muzza_Boogie in post #15)
- Behringer FCB1010 (reviewed by sasha in post #9)
- Behringer FCB1010 with eureka prom added (reviewed by symphx in post #29)
- Behringer FCB1010 integrated with the Gordius Little Giant Module (reviewed by Reincaster in post #33; note: bought new, this nearly equals cost of MFC)
- Rocktron Midi-Mate (reviewed by Rick in post #4)
- Roland FC-200 (reviewed by Rex in post #20)
- Lexicon MPX-R1 (reviewed by damienmcgauley in post #31)
- ADA MC-1 (reviewed by bobmeredith in post #19)
- The Line6 FBV / FBX, using an adapter that makes it work with the Axe (mentioned by vincentvdlocht, who offers the adapter in post #25)

I think that's it so far.

I think it's amazing how many legacy options there are, including 3 for the Behringer alone! A person looking for a used footcontroller really has a lot of eBay searching to do, although if he wants to limit his options to those involving a simple computer-based editor or something with a display screen, then that narrows things considerably.

Also I find it interesting that vincentvdlocht has managed to get the Line6 FBV / FBX to work with its Cat5 plugged into the Axe by putting some kind of adapter between them. I'd like to hear more about that...and whether he has plans to do the same thing with my old Digitech Control2. (Wow, would that save me some cash!)

Thanks for all the input, folks!

Thanks for useful thread!
Here another collection of midi controllers gathered by g-force users:

MIDI pedal board/foot controller comparison table

I would be happy to know which controllers can send next patch/preview patch command to AxeFxII for its all patches (in 3 banks)? It seems that MFC, FCB1010 but only with Eureka prom, LF+ series -can do this. Quite simple and basic functionality, unfortunately there is no midi command associated with this on AxeFxII module, so the midi controller has to do the logic by increment or decrement (+1 or -1) PC with every press of button.

Hi guys. Competition for the MFC-101 is completely not felt in the regard that we already sell well more than we can manufacture.
That said, I'm not sure this conversation belongs on an official Fractal forum.

Hi guys. Competition for the MFC-101 is completely not felt in the regard that we already sell well more than we can manufacture.

Well... some guitar players deliberately buy an Axe-Fx and deliberately won't buy an MFC-101 for a multitude of reasons. Where should they go to discuss and exchange information if not at "the Axe-Fx forum" ? They're Axe players/owners/users after all. And I hope not second class ones.

If third party controllers are unwanted around here, why is there a dedicated sub forum in the first place?

This is a very disappointing post. The logical extension of what you're saying is that all talk of third party MIDI controllers shouldn't be going on here, and you're looking to shut this whole sub-forum down. After all, this thread is basically just a summary of the "Other MIDI Controllers" sub-forum. That'd be a real shame. Your main product is the Axe FX. Since lots of options exist for MIDI control, having a healthy discussion of those alternatives and how they work with the main product you're selling is very useful. I'm evaluating my options right now. I do lean towards the MFC, and this sub-forum has been helpful in making that decision. In fact, foot controller options are an important enough part of how an effects processor will work for me that it's been helpful in making me decide to go with the Axe. I hope you allow this continue.

I feel that it's one thing to discuss 3rd party controller specifics, it is another to produce a "Buyer's Guide."

Back
Top Bottom