Wish MFC-102

MikeD

Inspired
If it is impossible to implement many of the wish-list items because of limitations with the current model I would like to see, and would support, a new version of the MFC. Wish-list items for me (on this new device) would be to add the following to what we already have:

- X/Y Press and hold (like the FX8)
- ability to assign IA switches per preset
- scribble strips over switches (if they are assignable per preset)
- I wouldn't be opposed to adding another column of switches (although assignment per preset may negate that)
- ability to assign/dedicate switches - one row (or partial row) to presets, next row scenes, next row IA

Have to admit I haven't thought that last one through yet - I like the simplicity of using scenes on my FX8 but I find the switching of presets awkward (unless you are switching between songs). Just looking for the best of both worlds on the MFC - finding it too easy to get fouled up using "switch modes" live, would prefer to dedicate some switches.

While I'm dreaming, Cliff, if you can find a way to turn back the clock... and maybe engage anti-gravity when stairs are detected.... To everyone at FAS keep up the great work and all the best for the holidays.

+1 on the scribble strips too.

I'd also love to see dedicated encoder knobs for amp parameters...drive, treble, bass, presence, et.al., like the AX8.

I'm new to Fractal and I'm patiently biding my time on the Axe FX waiting list. While basic floor control is something I can accomplish with my existing midi foot controller, I'd love to see a more advanced MFC made by Fractal, specifically for the Axe FX. The day they announce it, I'll get on that waiting list too.

Being a Fractal customer seems to be a lesson in patience. :) Sometimes quality can't be rushed.

[QUOTE="MikeD, post: 1288184, member: 35236"- ab

- I wouldn't be opposed to adding another column of switches (although assignment per preset may negate that)
- ability to assign/dedicate switches - one row (or partial row) to presets, next row scenes, next row IA

While I'm dreaming, Cliff, if you can find a way to turn back the clock... and maybe engage anti-gravity when stairs are detected.... To everyone at FAS keep up the great work and all the best for the holidays.[/QUOTE]
The four external switches can be setup as per-preset IA Switches. But let's be realistic; the MFC-101 has 384 presets. If one IA Switch was per-preset programmable, you'd have to remember the purpose of that one switch for each of the 384 switches, since it can have a different purpose for each. If you had two switches that would were per-preset programmable you'd have to remember 768 switch/preset combinations - what each of the two switches does in each of 384 presets. If you had four only IA Switches that were per-preset programmable you'd need to remember 1,536 behaviors. Well, of course you would set many of the presets to have the same IA Switch settings so that you wouldn't have so much to remember but it would essentially be so complex that it would not only be useless but could be catastrophic in a live scenario. I have a good memory but I wouldn't dare attempt anything more than a dozen or so presets that have "special exception assignment" IA Switches and the rest of the presets the IA Switches would be all the same. For grins, if all 17 IA Switches were per-preset programmable, there would be a total of 6,528 assignments to remember. When viewed like this its easier to understand the rationale of the design choice. In the mean time, you can use the four external switches for per-preset programmable IA Switches. Of course with the external switches you won't get LED state feedback. There's an "Extension Module" available from one of the forum members.
If the IA Switches were per-preset programmable, scribble strips would be worthless for all but one preset at most. In the mean time there are nice labels available from forum members.
I think if I understand correctly, you can already do this. Check into the "First Preset Switch" feature in the 3.06 firmware (Mark III model only).

For the record, I would also find per-preset programmable switches useful - if I didn't have the external switches.

Hey bwanagary - thanks for the tip about the external switches. That may just do it for me for the time being for my 'oddball' presets that use effects that I don't have dedicated IA switches for.

I guess in a nutshell I am looking for AX8 flexibility (press and hold x/y, preset assignable footswitches) in a MFC. I do a lot of cover work so there are times I use some odd presets using effects I normally don't use all the time (which don't have a dedicated IA on my MFC and magnetic label).

For instance one patch might use 2 drives and a rotary but is a patch seldom used. I don't have a IA switch assigned to drive 2 or rotary.

I thought the assignment per preset and scribble strip (scribble strip as an electronic label) would be a good alternative for a new MFC. I find that the dedicated IA switch per effect a little limiting as I am prone to using 'everything and the kitchen sink effects' in my presets with all IA switches (except first row) dedicated to effects switching. Agree with the memory thing - I have all switches labelled with what we have now. If they were assignable per preset we would need something to dynamically label the IA switches as there would be too many combinations.

The Axe-FX is super flexible. Just wondering what a improvements/changes could be made on the floor controller to help harness some of that flexibility. I have no complaints on the current system - just thinking out loud.

Thanks again for your reply. I will be looking into your suggestion of the 'First Preset Switch' feature too. I really have to RTFM again !

I'd love to see a new version of the MFC where each switch has the triple-LED layout of the AX8, with each switch being fully programmable dual function, tap or hold, and with each LED fully programmable as well.

I'd set things up similarly to the AX8, but I'd set Tap to toggle IA and Hold to change to the corresponding Scene. I'd still set the Red LED to display which scene was activated and the Amber LED to display the X/Y state of the effect though.

Back
Top Bottom