MFC-101 with Mission SP-1, Wah switch works backwards?

I just did my first Wah pedal set up, using the Mission SP-1 - the one with the light that comes on to show it's "on". I followed Cooper's Youtube video "Setting up the Axe-Fx II XL, MFC-101 MK III, and Mission Engineering SP-1". The Wah sounds great, BUT it works "backward" in the sense that the Wah is actually OFF when the light is ON, and vice versa. Went back over Coopers instructions, and don't see anything wrong. Anybody know what I did wrong?? Ideas??

kartman - Thanks. That did work, but it bothered me that I had to tell the MFC-101 that Off was 127 and On was 000. Also that meant that if/when there was no pedal plugged in there, the effect defaulted to ON. So I called Mission Engineering and found that my problem was that I assumed the LED being On meant the pedal (or the switch) was On. Turns out that LED signifies the switch is OFF. I thought that was a bit counter-intuitive, but their view is that this pedal would most often be used as a "usually ON" pedal (like a volume pedal - not a Wah), and that if the LED stayed on all the time, then the internal battery would run down quicker. Depends on your perspective, I guess. They did tell me I could move one wire on the switch to make the light work the other way. Problem solved!

Depends on your perspective, I guess. They did tell me I could move one wire on the switch to make the light work the other way. Problem solved!

Interesting. For what it's worth, I also assumed LED on meant pedal engaged. Many ways to solve the issue. I chose to just reverse settings in Axe...

Now that I'm thinking about it, I may add a little micro switch to my pedal that swaps the LED state or disables completely.

Thanx for filling me in on Missions's response.

I did what Mission suggested, and it works great. Reference 3rd post above.
This is for a Mission SP-1 with the LED option. It will require basic soldering skills.

1. Take the bottom plate off the SP-1 & remove the battery.
2. On the end of the pedal with the switch and LED, you will see the switch which has 9 terminals (3 rows of 3).
3. You will see that the end nearest the LED should have two wires leading to it - a red (on the middle terminal) and a solid wire on one end (coming from the LED).
4. Move the solid wire to the empty terminal on the other side of the red wire.

That's it. Now the LED will come on when the switch is "On".
Note: If you have changed the switch settings in the MFC-101 to Off=127 to make the switch work the way it was, you'll need to change it back to Off=000 and On=127.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom