MFC-101 rocks...for somebody...just not me

grumpops

Inspired
Had it for a few weeks now.
I've gotten it to where it will change patches (presets on Axe)
It will go to the correct number...
Doesn't light anything up for effects in the preset.
Doesn't allow me to control anything inside the preset
And then tosses up AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT!
Best purchase ever....not.

Should have just repaired what I was already using. That actually works

Tried every connection set up in the manual.
Nothing changed except with the midi cables, it was deceased completely...couldn't even change patches.

This thing is nothing but a paper weight.

Good for you.
I'm out $900 for nothing (Had to purchase to Expression pedals too)

I can change patches...not a problem.
It will not tell me what effects I have, if they're on or off, or allow me to do ANYTHING except wait 30 seconds for the "AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT!" to appear.

Can you make a backup of your MFC and post the sysex file here? Someone can check your setup for issues.

Did you buy it from Fractal? They have stellar customer support and can help diagnose if it's an issue with the hardware in the MFC unit. See https://support.fractalaudio.com/

If you bought it used, have done a factory reset of the unit and then configured it from there?

Can you make a backup of your MFC and post the sysex file here? Someone can check your setup for issues.
I'm not home right now so, can't.

No that I'm a bit calmer...lol. This is what's going on.

Tried midi cables first.
Manual said bi directional on one... Tried that and nothing at all happened (yes, was set to MIDI, not Faslink or expansion)
Put in two midi cables... Will change patches (with an enormous lag time, half second at least)
But will not read back what's in the patch.
Removed power supply and tried Ethernet cable.
Powers up fine. Changes presets...
Doesn't read back what's in the patch.

No matter what I do, in thirty seconds it's going to say " AX-FX NAME TIMEOUT!"

I was hoping from that someone might have an idea

I did get it used.. From guitar center on their assurance it was only two months old.
They're going to give back the money. I'll spend the extra $150 top get one brand new from fractal.
Fact reset was first thing I did

Last edited:
Which Axe-FX model do you have? (Mark I/II, XL, XL+)

What Axe-FX Mode is selected on the MFC?

Having the wrong Axe-FX Mode selected would cause what you're describing.

It's unlikely it's a fault in a 2 month old MFC ..... so will save you 150 bucks to make absolutely sure

OK - you've done a reset

Decide what cabling method (PORT) you are going to use and then follow the instructions found in the 'Making Basic Settings' in top part of the 'MFC-101-Quickstart.pdf' document available from the Support area of the FAS site.

There are only 2 areas to check - MFC PORT type in the MIDI settings and AxeFX 'MODE' in the Setup settings.

Easiest cable methods are FasLink or Ethernet because they supply power to the MFC without any fuss - but remember to not have the wall wart power supply connected to the MFC when using either of these cable (PORT) types.

You've mentioned you've tried an ethernet cable already - so try setting up the MFC for it and try it again here.

Hook everything up with the AxeFX powered off (just for now don't plug in any Expression pedals into the MFC)

Power up the AxeFX - pay attention to the Quickstart Manual where it states that in the event of EtherCon or FasLink cabling the XL models of the AxeFX need to have the corresponding MFC Port type selected/saved in the AxeFX i/O > MIDI settings (can only be set by using the I/O button on front of AxeFX - then 'Page' button to the MIDI page). If you had to change something in there then power down the AxeFX afterwards and power up again.

You should now have both AxeFX and MFC in solid communication with both preset changes and IA switches working if everything set up correctly

And then tosses up AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT!

I had this exact issue today after getting a second hand MFC101. I had assumed that it would be plug-and-play, but it isn't. My issue was the Axe Fx mode on the MFC itself - it was set to XL, and I am running an Axe FX II. Once that was changed, it works wonderfully.

My point is (and I think everyone else is saying the same thing) there are a few things to eliminate before you return it. Bakerman's suggestions are spot on.

OMG I'm an idiot....
I don't have an XL+ I have an XL.
It works...
Oy...the joys of trying to set this thing up in a legal weed state, at night....lol

Ok, everything works but Tuner.
When I press sw 16, it says "Waiting for Tuner"...I turned on Tuner Hold on Tap Tempo switch...same thing
"Waiting for Tuner"....
Everything else is working.

Also, in the manual, it doesn't say what Modifier number the switches correspond to...
Logically, they appear to be as I had them in the previous rig.
6 seems to be chrous, 7, delay, 8, reverb, 9, special per patch 10 solo boost...
That's all I ever have in any given preset.

Does the tuner appear on the Axe-FX screen?

In Axe I/O: MIDI menu, verify "send realtime sysex" is set to "all".

MFC manual shows default IA assignments in section 5.1. I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for.

OMG I'm an idiot....
I don't have an XL+ I have an XL.
It works...
Oy...the joys of trying to set this thing up in a legal weed state, at night....lol
LOL, I guessing being an idiot is better than being out $900 for a paper weight :)
Glad you got it working... ;)
On the tuner..
If your tuner on the Axe is NOT on the main (1st) tuner page, it will NOT display on the MFC.

Sorry, ya got me there.
Tuner on 1st Tuner page? There's only three pages on the Tuner button but none of them relate to that.

Well, I have lots of pretty lights...and they change when I change presets..
But that's it.
Can't turn on or off anything.
Mapped the switches for what I want them to control. So what? Doesn't work anyway.
I assume the modifier number on the BYPASS switch has to match the switch number..
Yeah...switch turns red, effect doesn't come on.

What seems to make most sense at this time is.
Put the Midi Buddy and FC300 back in the pedal board. They actually work...just send all this back and get my money back.

It sounds like you took some wrong steps when trying to assign IA switches. If you assigned a bypass modifier, remove that and look at the MFC manual section on IA switch Axe-FX functions. To have a simple effect layout (one switch always controls delay, etc.) you should edit the MFC's IA settings.

Are you still trying to get the tuner to work? There's a question and menu/parameter mentioned in post #15. If you can answer the question and check/report what the sysex setting was, it helps troubleshoot the problem.

Back
Top Bottom