MFC-101 power supply

niles_lewis

Just got a used MFC-101 for a great price but the kicker is that it only came with the pedal. I have a Mission Ethercon on the way for live use and a Ethernet to use at home. I need a power supply though to download the drivers and update MFC-101 firmware as well as program it with my AxeFx II. I just want to be sure that I get one with the right specs so I don’t fry anything.

It's been a while so I don't recall 100%, but I think you can use your Axe Fx II as a pass-thru for updates/programming with no need for a separate power supply.

While searching for the PS specs, I found this regarding that process:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ac-adapter-options-for-mfc-101.58758/post-734116

In the same thread is a link provided by Fractal to a PS:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ac-adapter-options-for-mfc-101.58758/post-734149

Even if you don't get that specific one you can use the same specs:

9 Volt @ 1000mA Black Straight 2.5mm Female Plug​

Also, from memory, the MFC will work with either AC or DC power supplies although the barrel jack is sized for "standard" AC supplies.

Awesome! I did find that thread you linked but didn’t see where anybody from Fractal confirmed. I went with the one that was linked in that thread though.

This is my first time using the MFC so from what I understand, I need to have it powered on without the Ethercon to get the drivers on my computer for Fractal Bot and to get the latest firmware for it. After that, I can just use Ethernet/Ethercon or midi to do any updates.

Awesome! I did find that thread you linked but didn’t see where anybody from Fractal confirmed. I went with the one that was linked in that thread though.

This is my first time using the MFC so from what I understand, I need to have it powered on without the Ethercon to get the drivers on my computer for Fractal Bot and to get the latest firmware for it. After that, I can just use Ethernet/Ethercon or midi to do any updates.
There are no drivers for MFC-101 as it doesn't connect directly to your computer.

The 1st link I shared is from the old wiki and I'm certain the instructions are valid. That is for updating the MFC firmware.

Did you confirm what FW version it's on? The latest is 3.08 and it's quite old so you may not even need to do an update :)

There are no drivers for MFC-101 as it doesn't connect directly to your computer.

The 1st link I shared is from the old wiki and I'm certain the instructions are valid. That is for updating the MFC firmware.

Did you confirm what FW version it's on? The latest is 3.08 and it's quite old so you may not even need to do an update :)

Thanks for that! I’m sure you can tell but I’m new to the MFC.

I have a FM3 and had the FC6. I loved how easy it was to setup the FC6 in FM Edit. When I go to Axe Edit and go to controllers, I can’t find my MFC there. I have it powered via Ethernet from my Axe II. Any help would be much appreciated! I much prefer programming via my MacBook vs on the units themselves. I have Axe Edit working perfectly for my Axe II.

Also, I contacted Fractal directly and bought a supply for my MFC from them so if anyone is reading this for future reference you can contact their sales email and they will send you a link to buy from. Awesome customer service as always!!

I have a FM3 and had the FC6. I loved how easy it was to setup the FC6 in FM Edit. When I go to Axe Edit and go to controllers, I can’t find my MFC there. I have it powered via Ethernet from my Axe II. Any help would be much appreciated! I much prefer programming via my MacBook vs on the units themselves. I have Axe Edit working perfectly for my Axe II.

Also, I contacted Fractal directly and bought a supply for my MFC from them so if anyone is reading this for future reference you can contact their sales email and they will send you a link to buy from. Awesome customer service as always!!
I use the stand alone FractalBot for MFC backups to Mac. For MFC editing I used to use the MFCEdit program which stopped working with some Mac updates and is no longer supported, so now I do all my MFC programming directly on the MFC (somewhat painful but I don't do that many changes so not so bad). I'm using it as a generic midi controller with Ax3+Ax2. If you're using it with Ax2 only, you'll likely want to configure it in "Axefx Mode" which provides more custom functionality compared to generic use. It's a fairly deep unit so I'd recommend reading the manual here.

The MFC is a standalone device while the FCs are not. You won't find the MFC in the editor.

The FCs "brain" is inside the modelers, not inside the FC itself, which is why those are in the editor. They are really just an extension...

Check this thread for MFC-EDIT. It's available for free now:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/where-to-download-mfc-edit.160504/

It's a big time saver!

The MFC is a standalone device while the FCs are not. You won't find the MFC in the editor.

The FCs "brain" is inside the modelers, not inside the FC itself, which is why those are in the editor. They are really just an extension...

Check this thread for MFC-EDIT. It's available for free now:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/where-to-download-mfc-edit.160504/

It's a big time saver!

Yeah I saw that thread. I followed the directions but having issues with Java. I have MFC Edit downloaded but because Java isn’t up to date, it won’t finish the install. I try to update Java with the file that is included in the MFC Edit install and when I do that it says my OS isn’t up to date enough to install that Java update which can’t be true because it’s saying that Java update requires a OS that is far inferior to Catalina which is what I run (10.15.7 I believe…..Java is saying that I need at least 10.7 to install). I’m very confused there. I know MFC edit would be ideal for my needs. I’m open to trying to edit in AxeFx mode which I’ll try tonight.

I didn’t realize that about the FC series. That’s really cool. It’s super easy to get setup with my FM3 but now that I’m using my AxeFx II for larger gigs where I need the extra CPU usage I sold my FC6.

Yeah I saw that thread. I followed the directions but having issues with Java. I have MFC Edit downloaded but because Java isn’t up to date, it won’t finish the install. I try to update Java with the file that is included in the MFC Edit install and when I do that it says my OS isn’t up to date enough to install that Java update which can’t be true because it’s saying that Java update requires a OS that is far inferior to Catalina which is what I run (10.15.7 I believe…..Java is saying that I need at least 10.7 to install). I’m very confused there. I know MFC edit would be ideal for my needs. I’m open to trying to edit in AxeFx mode which I’ll try tonight.
Maybe @bwanagary can give some advice...

I also seem to have a ground loop I can’t get rid of. Everything in my rack has the plastic pieces on all screws and nothing is touching. I’ve tried a iso transformer everywhere in the signal I could possibly use it. I’ve tried without USB and with it. It’s really intense with any gain which is a huge problem for me. I was going to make a thread on it later if I can’t figure it out. It’s making a slight ringing sound and just incessant hum. I’ve got the ground lift on the back switched. Idk what the deal is. My FM3 doesn’t have this issue. I only have one XLR going into one monitor and one instrument cable to my guitar. Ethernet to my MFC. No crazy cabling going on or anything. It’s bad if it’s on a clean Fender sound or heavy gain.

I also seem to have a ground loop I can’t get rid of. Everything in my rack has the plastic pieces on all screws and nothing is touching. I’ve tried a iso transformer everywhere in the signal I could possibly use it. I’ve tried without USB and with it. It’s really intense with any gain which is a huge problem for me. I was going to make a thread on it later if I can’t figure it out. It’s making a slight ringing sound and just incessant hum. I’ve got the ground lift on the back switched. Idk what the deal is. My FM3 doesn’t have this issue. I only have one XLR going into one monitor and one instrument cable to my guitar. Ethernet to my MFC. No crazy cabling going on or anything. It’s bad if it’s on a clean Fender sound or heavy gain.
I would start by making sure MFC, Axfx, Monitor are all plugged into the same circuit, and make sure that circuit does not have other stuff on it like appliances, dimmers ...

I would start by making sure MFC, Axfx, Monitor are all plugged into the same circuit, and make sure that circuit does not have other stuff on it like appliances, dimmers ...

Wow yeah that makes sense. Have no idea why I haven’t done this yet lol I have my monitor going into a different power source. Even when I use my headphones out though I still have the ground loop. I have everything else plugged into my power conditioner.

And it looks like a issue with my MFC is probably due to the firmware being 1.8? Lol I didn’t even know they went that low. I’ve gotta figure out how to update it.

Back
Top Bottom