MFC 101 - Overly Bright LED's?

JustinAiken said:
...especially if it could be controlled by an expression pedal, so the lights would get brighter/dimmer according to your volume swells...
Interesting effect for the audience IF they could actually see it, but it would be useless for me onstage.

Programming a fixed LED dimmer into the base parameters of the MFC would be an OUTSTANDING FEATURE; but not knowing how the voltage to the LED's is actually being controlled, it might not even be possible without additional "hardware" of some sort. If additional hardware would be required, it probably wouldn't be retro-fittable for already manufactured units.

Cliff appears to be a wizard, so if it's possible with programming I'll just bet he'll get-er-done!

Way too bright for me also. I put small pieces of white vinyl tape over all of them and it dampens it just enough. Yeah, a pot or light sensitive control would be nice.

The hardware doesn't support programmable voltage. The only thing that might be possible is a high-speed duty-cycle variation but that might create too much flicker. We'll have to try it.

FractalAudio said:
The hardware doesn't support programmable voltage. The only thing that might be possible is a high-speed duty-cycle variation but that might create too much flicker. We'll have to try it.
If it works that's great, as long as it doesn't adversely change the overall life of the LED's which is VERY important to me.

Personally I'm fine with a tiny piece of masking tape, it ALWAYS cuts the brightness just the right amount for me. So, unless you are playing for the "National MIDI Foot Controller Geek Convention" the audience should be paying attention to the entertainment not the little tiny pieces of masking tape on your pedal board. In fact, the only people that would probably even be able to notice them are the audience members in the front row that can reach out an untie your shoes; which is an entirely different problem.
:lol:

The MFC is such a fine piece of machinery, my little vinyl tape squares on the lights is quite inelegant. Rather than potentially problematic or impossible soft or hardware fixes, a pre-punched page of tape dots might be a good accessory product. In the meantime, I'm going to fashion my own punch that will give me a dot that will fit perfectly, if I can pull it off. The white vinyl (electrical type) tape has a good consistency and translucence for the job. Or perhaps little rubber or plastic caps, though the metal bases provide little purchase for attachment. If the base ring of a cap were magnetic, that'd work. But tape is OK :)

For anyone reverting to using tape to tame the brightness, I can tell you that just taking a sharpie marker and lightly drawing on the LED's works wonders. I was easily able to remove it with a swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. No unsightly tape, and no permanent modification of the board.

Had my first gig with the MFC tonight, playing at a navy base.

I honestly don't know what all the complaining is about... it was a medium-lit stage... performed it's job perfectly... the LED's gave great visual feedback of what patch I was on, what FX were on or bypassed, and the click of the footswitches engaging was perfect... just enough to feel it... even in complete darkness it was fine...

The brightness of the LED's did not hurt my eyes... but I was so busy playing, that I only had time to glance at it during preset changes... I believe that is what it is intended to do... give you quick visual and tactile feedback upon preset &/or FX changes...

I guess I am with the others who have commented here... I would rather have it edge on the too bright side, than on the too dim side... under bright lighting or daylight conditions, if it were more dim, you would not be able to see it...

Just MHO...

flyingfadr said:
Had my first gig with the MFC tonight, playing at a navy base.

I honestly don't know what all the complaining is about... it was a medium-lit stage... performed it's job perfectly... the LED's gave great visual feedback of what patch I was on, what FX were on or bypassed, and the click of the footswitches engaging was perfect... just enough to feel it... even in complete darkness it was fine...

The brightness of the LED's did not hurt my eyes... but I was so busy playing, that I only had time to glance at it during preset changes... I believe that is what it is intended to do... give you quick visual and tactile feedback upon preset &/or FX changes...

I guess I am with the others who have commented here... I would rather have it edge on the too bright side, than on the too dim side... under bright lighting or daylight conditions, if it were more dim, you would not be able to see it...

Just MHO...

I fall into this side of the opinion. It's not bothered me in the least at all yet. I've NOT yet played a pitch black stage though, only dim/low light gigs thus far, so take that into consideration.

But I do not find it 'blinding' at all, not by any stretch.

Thanks Scott, for finding a more kind wording... I think we're in the same line of thinking... the MFC kicks butt...

At my gig last night the lights went very dark at one point, and that's when i realized how powerfull those LED's are. It's not a major problem cause I know the switch is right under the light.
Howerver, in medium to dark light the LED's are so brights that it's harder to read the labels. Again, not that big of a deal for me, I would not change it.

I'm colorblind and have trouble distinguishing between the red and green state of the led's. I think if they were a little dimmer it would be easier, or if one state was blue.

I know I'm a whiner but if you've ever downloaded one of Yek's patches you'll quickly see how the MFC will light an entire stage..... ;)

+1 on the colour blind. Unless you have it, you don't realise what a pain it is.

If its possible to change the brightness, it would be good (for me) to have Red as full brightness, green dimmer. I'd then be able to tell them apart. Or be able to program that.

I have the same issue with color blindness. I've emailed support and their response was not encouraging. My LFpro will let you change the state of led, changing the state of the red so that it's not a factor trying to tell the difference between red and green. If the effect is in the chain but not on, no light, only green when it's on.

From using it at home (so no actual gig experience with it), if I'm standing directly over it and looking down at it the lights are pretty bright. But, if I take a step or two back (where I might normally stand at a gig) they seem just fine.

Wow... never knew being colorblind affected so many people... would it help those that are colorblind to use gels that are used for stage lighting to cut out small circles and change the color of the LED ?

Back
Top Bottom