MFC-101 Or Mastermind GT?

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hey guys,

New AXE FX 2 user here waiting impatiently for it turn up. Apologies if this has been asked before. I'm pretty new to all this you see.

I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on which midi controller to eventually buy? The MFC or the Mastermind GT? Obviously the Mastermind is a lot more expensive. Is there any pro's and cons's to which one to get?

Many thanks

Paul

Last edited:
Mastermind GT. once you get used to lcds on each button and a programmable page for each preset, it is hard to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If money were no object, I'd go Mastermind.

Money is an object, so I'm sticking with the MFC. It does most everything I need, and is already intimate with the AxeFx.

I have not actually tried a Mastermind, so I'm guessing here, but I expect there are some "universal" program settings, to make it more user friendly with other switchers besides the AFX. These would gave to be learned and resolved, whereas, in the MFD, they are just "already there". Having tried several other switchers, before settling in on the MFC a few years ago, I know that some of these "universal" type settings can be a bit of a headache, until they are learned, and you wrap your head around the concepts in the programming, as well as the alternate programming phrases and terminology that would already be friendly between the Fractal gear.

Mastermind GT. once you get used to lcds on each button and a programmable page for each preset, it is hard to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply guys. That's what I like about the Mastermind GT is the labelling and the colour coded LCD's. I think I'm gonna save up a little more and get the GT it will be worth it in the long run.

I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on which midi controller to eventually buy? The MFC or the Mastermind GT?

If by "eventually" you mean just that, the upcoming Liquid Foot X-Series controllers may also be of interest to you.

FWIW, I have both an MFC-101 and a Liquid Foot JR+. The MFC hasn't been used in the 18 months since the LF+ arrived and is now a backup. Toasterdude is right about LCDs and programmable pages. :lol That being said, for some people they can be total overkill, it really depends on what you need/want your controller to do.

I like the tuner on the MFC. that is what i find really handy also the preset names are handy.
The ethtercon is nice too, you just need 1 cable.
But every other controller can have that over a 7 pin midi connection.

Setting up switches, with every controller is a bit of work involved. Building quality is good of the MFC.

I'de go for the MFC again even if I had more to spend.
But I don't know the Mastermind.....

www.inbouwstationhissink.com

The tuner on the Mastermind GT is better (faster) than the MFC. The only thing really that the MFC is better at is the ethernet connection with the builtin power from the Axe Fx itself. Yes, the MFC is already programmed for the Axe Fx but after the first hour or so with the Mastermind GT, the only thing that the MFC is better at is that with the Mastermind GT you need a separate power supply. That’s it.

I'm enjoying my MM/GT every day. I really mean that.

But for new Axe-Fx II users I'd recommend the MFC. Because of its seamless no-brainer integration with the Axe-Fx II.
There's already so much to explore on the Axe-Fx.

I'm enjoying my MM/GT every day. I really mean that.

But for new Axe-Fx II users I'd recommend the MFC. Because of its seamless no-brainer integration with the Axe-Fx II.
There's already so much to explore on the Axe-Fx.

Thanks for the input yek. I've watched your vid a few times the GT is very flexible in terms of programming etc. I kinda like going into stuff like that anyway. I'm always interested in how it all works. Hours of fun for me anyway lol. Are you powering the GT via phantom power or using Ron adaptor box?

Thanks for the input yek. I've watched your vid a few times the GT is very flexible in terms of programming etc. I kinda like going into stuff like that anyway. I'm always interested in how it all works. Hours of fun for me anyway lol. Are you powering the GT via phantom power or using Ron adaptor box?

Hi, since then things have evolved. I should make a new video. :)

I'm using a RJM phantom power box. Velcro'd inside my rack case.

Hi, since then things have evolved. I should make a new video. :)

I'm using a RJM phantom power box. Velcro'd inside my rack case.

A new vid would be awesome. I thought of doing the same with the phantom power box in the rack. It seems the easiest way. Oh well I'd better get saving lol

I have a first generation MFC-101 and see no need to upgrade (that's for me, in my case) and believe me, very happy with it!
The MM is a beautiful controller it has the pretty lights, Axe Fx mode and all that.
As for the phantom powering of the MM that will take 15 min out of your life and your done. (No big deal)

But you guys who own the MM are leaving out one of the best features, at least i think.
The button spacing is a bit more spacious than the MFC, a little more real estate is being taken up but well worth it.
Very comfortable when hitting those switches, don't feel I have to aim with such precision.

John

Remember that the expression pedals must be reverse polarity for the Mastermind. I love the EV-1. So, time to buy a soldering iron.

Also, you need the phantom power converter, 5-pin midi, and 6 pin XLR (or 7 pin midi).

I actually struggled quite a bit with my MFC in the 18 months or so I had it before getting the MMGT. It just felt so oddly limited that I had to globally commit to the IA layout. I wanted to use 5/6 scenes for my main generic preset and that meant committing myself to 5/6 IA’s for scenes everywhere. I’m not a big effects guy but like a bit of tremolo on cleans every so often and a phaser for leads every so often. And every time I wanted to be able to stomp on something, that’s now a global commitment across all presets. With the massively flexible nature of the Axe Fx, the MFC just felt like a very limited companion and the MMGT feels much more aligned with how I feel about the Axe Fx where if I have an idea of how I want to do something, I can do it in the Axe Fx and have the floorboard layout to match. It’s great.

And I think that the new FX-8 screen/button architecture is absolutely good enough and Cliff recently confirmed in the AX-8 thread that the AX-8 will have the same. So with both the FX-8 and the AX-8, you will be able to configure individual buttons per preset and the screen will show the 8 buttons so that you know what they are programmed as. Not as nice as the MMGT and definitely good enough and I’ll more than likely switch to the AX-8 for when playing with my band to have one less thing to carry. 4 buttons for preset 1-4, and 4 buttons for IA’s, boost, delay and one modulation switchable between whatever tremolo, phaser, flanger or rotary I feel per preset. That would definitely be good enough for my needs. Maybe we’ll see a MFC-202 with a similar way to program it and a screen similar to the FX-8 and AX-8, that to me would make it a lot more useable.

Back
Top Bottom