MFC-101 odd noise when connected via midi to AXE-FX Ultra

daveman6

Anyone ran across an issue when connecting the MFC-101 to an AXE-FX Ultra (older unit, not the FX II) using the standard midi connection where you hear a volume swell about every 60 secs? It seems to coincide with line frequency, in terms of frequency, but I don't think it's picking up a stray AC signal.

I also notice that it doesn't make the noise thru the FX when I disconnect the midi cable from the MFC101.

I tried a master reset on the MFC101, no change. I can bypass all effects on the AXE-FX and with zero effects, it still pulses.. I can change presets on the MFC-101, but the data is not shown there from my previous presets. I also checked the midi settings on the FX, disabled various parameters, no change.

I believe the MFC-101 has went south, but hate to replace it at $650 cost if it can be salvaged somehow. I'd pay to get it fixed, if anyone has ideas there or has tech ability. :) It's a great pedalboard when it worked.

Bought in 2009, played a few years, but mostly been sitting in my studio, and starting to pick it back up again

So, updating my previous post for others. After a lot of testing, the issue I was having was this: (which has been seen before)

Error message: "AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT!". Once this error pops up, the volume issue vanishes, and the midi-in light stops blinking on the AXE-FX, which I assume means the MFC-101 has given up trying to communicate. The guitar sound is then normal, with no pulsing. I also notice after the timeout, that I only get S001 in the display, no song name, and hitting the reveal button shows no ability to turn on/off effects. So, I assume there is a problem communicating some data across the midi connection.

I opened up a support ticket with Fractal, updated firmware, reset configs on both AXE and MFC, and even had a support call with Matt over at Fractal. Bottom line, Midi-out is hosed on the AXE-FX Ultra. Got an RMA and sending unit in. We'll see how it goes, but Matt believes it is a chip on the board affecting the midi out signal, as a loop test on the AXE-FX fails. Pretty cool test. (Midi-In and out connected on FX, and use Utility to dump sys parameters. Edit light is supposed to come on, it didn't).

I'll update again later to see how this story will end.

Back
Top Bottom