MFC-101 obsolescence, firmware

creativespiral

Inspired
I'm super excited for the III. Planning on selling off 2XL to help offset the cost.

My real hesitation is with the pedal. I've read through all the threads, and understand the design differences and timing of the the FCs... a couple months off.

The thing is, I LOVE MY MFC-101, and would like a GOOD OPTION to just keep that with the III. With my four switch extension, and custom kick tags, I've got probably $900 invested in it... seems like a real shame if an alternate firmware for the III can't be loaded into it to keep similar functionality.

It could be firmware that writes over the existing II firmware and only works on the III... I would assume there is plenty of memory. Based on everything I've read, it seems like the MFC-101 is capable of this from a hardware standpoint... its just a matter of developing a firmware option.

The MFC-101 is a great product, and it seems like a real shame for it to become obsolete (only act as basic MIDI with no feedback). Even if its a rough, beta firmware with not all the functionality, it would be great to give users an option. Even if the screen wasn't updated with text, but the switches just kept track of effect states, that would be enough to make the MFC a viable option.

I would even happily pay $ for a new firmware download for the MFC. Or if Fractal doesn't have resources to create a III firmware, is it possible that its something that could be open-sourced a bit... so the community could try and come up with a solution?

I can kind of understand that point. It hasn't been long since I came back the Axe-FX platform after using my FX8 with an amp for a few years. Picked up an XL+ and MFC Mk III when the sale came out a few months ago. Kinda wish I had waited, but not really too crushed. While I like the way I have the MFC dialed in, my plan is to switch over and most likely use it with MIDI while I wait for the new controllers, then pick up the FC12. I'll sell the old rig at some point after I get things set up with the new one, and I'm sure I'll lose some cash overall, but the new rig is everything I could imagine and a lot more.

There’s been an official reply, I believe - it won’t be updated as the firmware is full, they cannot add anything to it.

That said, it could possibly have a firmware that would only support the III and noothing else, but that’s just a guess, and I have no idea who could possibly do that. I don’t think I’ve ever heard about third party firmware for the MFC.

I'm not asking to "add to" the firmware that exists for the II... I was saying to create a separate firmware option specifically for the III that overwrites what is existing. It wouldn't need to work with previous generations (the II). Based on everything that has been described about the FC controllers, they seem to be "less complex" in terms of internal firmware/programming... so I would think the MFC should have more than enough memory to play part of the role of the FCs.

create a separate firmware

Do you have any idea how much work it is to keep diverging branches of code in development? The management? The regression testing? It's a nightmare with dozens of coders, let alone just a few. I don't think you realize what you're asking FAS to do.

I'm not asking to "add to" the firmware that exists for the II... I was saying to create a separate firmware option specifically for the III that overwrites what is existing. It wouldn't need to work with previous generations (the II).

Some have asked about an MFC firmware version that would eliminate everything except support for the III, but that would be a pretty big undertaking, re-allocating critical resources from the efforts required to get the new products into peak shape. Progress marches forward.

I think the best you can hope for is that FAS release the current firmware source for the MFC101, and then someone else comes along with enough skill, time and motivation. The latter could happen; the former is unlikely. It could in theory be reverse engineered but that would be an even bigger undertaking. In the interest of science and posterity, I support manufacturers open sourcing their deprecated hardware once they've completely abandoned it (which is a nontrivial length of time after they stop selling it).

Why not sell it for a decent price, keep your extra pedals, and get a fc6 or 12, which should be reasonably priced.

Kick tags are well and good, but scribble strips and color changed led ring lights are even better, as is the per patch assignment of controls (iMO)

Seems a little silly to have a flagship III, and then control it via a limited theoretical workaround for a mfc101

After all it’s nit like the used market value for your mfc is that bad. With all these people buying used II’s plenty also want mfcs

Why not sell it for a decent price, keep your extra pedals, and get a fc6 or 12, which should be reasonably priced.

The new controllers won’t be available together with the III, and who knows when they will be, whether there will be waiting lists and all that.

Then there is this issue that some people need more buttons.

Then I’m not at all sure scribble strips are all that useful. The ones I’ve seen weren’t really for me.

And finally, I’m not at all sure all the MFC functionality will be there initially, or in a reasonable time frame, or ever. I’m mostly talking about controlling third party gear via MIDI. And I need that.

Then I’m not at all sure scribble strips are all that useful. The ones I’ve seen weren’t really for me..

Personally, I’m very excited for the new controllers and scribble strips - I think they look awesome... but I’ve really been quite surprised at the number of people that have been in touch asking if I’m looking into making a labelling solution for the new controllers. I guess we’ll have to wait and see once they launch but, knowing fractal, I’m guessing they’ll be better and more useful than what others have done before.

Well I hope something can be done to make the MFC a more vimportant able option with the III.
I'd pay for the appropriate firmware.

I have not read all the threads about the MFC-101, but I read that the Axe-Fx III only detects which buttons are pressed on the FC-6 or the FC-12 and that the Axe-Fx III is doing the rest.

Shouldn't it be easy to develope a firmware for the MFC-101 which only transmits which buttons are pressed to the Axe-Fx III in a first step? At least it doesn't sound absurd for a company who developes sophisticated modeling software :)

I have not read all the threads about the MFC-101, but I read that the Axe-Fx III only detects which buttons are pressed on the FC-6 or the FC-12 and that the Axe-Fx III is doing the rest.

Shouldn't it be easy to develope a firmware for the MFC-101 which only transmits which buttons are pressed to the Axe-Fx III in a first step? At least it doesn't sound absurd for a company who developes sophisticated modeling software :)

They may develop sophisticated software, but the MFC certainly isn’t sophisticated hardware. :)

As I understand it, the problem is that there’s no space to fit anything in addition to what the MFC already has.

“Sending which buttons are pressed” means implementing a new protocol, it’s not that easy.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see once they launch but, knowing fractal, I’m guessing they’ll be better and more useful than what others have done before.

We’ll see, of course, but those are just transflective monochrome LCDs, there’s not much Fractal can do to make them better. They are okay if you have perfect vision, I guess. I don’t.

Ironically, I would very much prefer a great hi res color display on the foot controller rather than Axe itself.

Oh well, with scribble strips being all the rage these days, this was expected.

I sold mine once it became clear it could only be used as a generic MIDI controller.
If I want that down the road-then I can grab a Behringer FCB1010.

As for the new FAS foot controllers-if they are nothing but a dumb box and all programming takes place in the AXE 3, they should be cheap.
That said-if you keep a an Axe 2, there is nothing better than the MFC.

As for the new FAS foot controllers-if they are nothing but a dumb box and all programming takes place in the AXE 3, they should be cheap.

They have those displays though. I doubt that whatever ancient controller the MFC had was expensive. :) The buttons and the casing are probably the most expensive part in both old and new ones. Maybe 300-400 for the small one and 500-600 for the big one. Just a wild guess.

They have those displays though. I doubt that whatever ancient controller the MFC had was expensive. :) The buttons and the casing are probably the most expensive part in both old and new ones. Maybe 300-400 for the small one and 500-600 for the big one. Just a wild guess.

I am sure they will be convenient, but my needs are pretty simple. Change presets and have stompbox function for effects.
The beauty of the MFC was I didn't have to do programming like with the Behrniger I had.

Back
Top Bottom