MFC-101 NAME TIMEOUT! Issue Need Help!

layre

An issue started with my MFC connection to my Ultra yesterday out of the blue. I had not made any changes to my rig in a few weeks. I thought I had resolved the problem by restoring the settings on the MFC. However, last night as I was setting up at a gig, I hooked up the MFC to the Ultra and none of my patches are showing up on the MFC. I get a message NAME TIMEOUT!. I was left to play the gig with no pedal board, or effects. I had to use the dial to switch between patches on the Ultra (I am a bit frustrated to say the least). What is driving me nuts, is that I just hooked up my rig to troubleshoot and everything seems to be working fine now. The problem is intermittent and therefore renders my rig unreliable. Could this be caused by a bad Midi cable (Hopefully) or is there a deeper issue? I am running firmware 1.02 on the MFC and firmware 11 on the Ultra. I really need to get this sorted since I have sold all my amps to pay for my Axe-fX rig.

Kind Regards,
Steve

Hi Steve,

That means that MIDI is not coming back to the MFC-101 from the Axe-Fx.

The typical cause is a bad MIDI cable, especially if you have not changed settings.

In a pinch, you can always connect a SECOND midi cable from the OUT of the Axe-Fx to the IN of the MFC-101 if you have this trouble.

I'd recommend a new 7 pin cable from best-tronics. Solid stuff! They have some part numbers over there that I personally selected for the MFC-101

Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: Fractal_Audio

Let me know if you need any more help.

Verify these settings in case of that problem occurring:
Edit > Setup: "Ultra".
Edit > MIDI: "MIDI".

Thank you both for the reply. I just grabbed a couple 7 pin midi cables from Best-Tronics. What a great resource thanks! Yek, I can confirm my settings are as you have indicated.

Cheers!

Connected my MFC-101 via 9m Rockron 7-Pin MIDI cable to my Axe-Fx Ultra. The 9VAC Adpater to Phantom Power In. The MFC display shows the "MFC-101 NAME TIMEOUT!"-Message.
I did the "Reset System Parameters" on the Axe-Fx and the "Factory Default Settings" on the MFC. Both have the newest firmware.
I have connected a second MIDI cable from MIDI from the out of the Axe-Fx to the in of the MFC. But it does not work.
Settings on the MFC are: Edit > Setup: "Ultra".Edit > MIDI: "MIDI". The only thing that works is the tuner switch on the MFC. When I press it and push the "Tuner"-button on my Axe-fx, i can tune my guitar with the MFC-Display. I think this means that MIDI coming back to the MFC-101 from the Axe-Fx.
I have also tried other 5-Pin MIDI-Cables, but it´s not working...

Back
Top Bottom