Bug? MFC-101 MKII bug with Axe FX II XL w/ Q4.0???

ChrisMetal86

Experienced
So I updated to Q4.0 last night. First thing I noticed was that when I used the tuner on the Axe, it shows up with some of the dots out of place something like this ......>E <....... like there is a gap in between the arrows and the note being tuned to. So the next thing I notice after playing and using the MFC a while, a ton of gibberish comes up on the MFC screen and its crazy letters and symbols. All functions on the MFC work just fine, but the gibberish is still there and won't go away until rebooting everything. I tried new presets from scratch which produced the same results. I'm not really sure what is causing it, but it seems to be something between the MFC and the Q4.0 software because up until I updated, everything was fine. And yes I had everything disconnected except the USB during the update. Using MFC-101 MKII with fw3.08, Axe FX II XL with fwQ4.0. Have also tested another cable that is new. Any ideas what could be causing it? I will try and take a pic of it this weekend if it does it again. Rebooted several times before just letting it go for a bit so I could play.

Here is the tuner issue. The gibberish hasn't popped up again, but if so I will upload a pic. This didn't happen until Q4.0

Attachments

• IMG_20160828_110939.jpg
    IMG_20160828_110939.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 43
Pity the gibberish seems to have stopped (from an investigative point of view) because I was going to suggest If you disconnect the MFC from the Axe-FX and power it with it's power supply does the display remain stable after hitting a few switches/letting it sit a while?

If it were me I'd re-install the previous Axe-FX FW again and see if the MFC goes back to normal behavior and if it does then upgrade to Q4 again to see what happens.

You could try doing a reset on the MFC (Hold down switch 11 while powering it up if I recall correctly?) Make sure you've a MFC Sysex Data dump backup prior to doing that of course.

Perhaps a system reset in the Axe-FX might do something too.

Final thing I'd try if all else failed would be to re-install the MFC 3.08 FW again

What type of cable do you use between the AxeFX and MFC? Might be worth trying an alternative type (IE instead of MIDI cable use Cat5 or vice versa).

It might be the present cable type socket on either the AF2 or the MFC that is wearing out or dirty.

It might also be the MFC display 'decoder' (or whatever it's called) that converts the incoming data from the AxeFX is starting to fail or somehow corrupted

Obviously those "might be's" are hardware related faults requiring a service by FAS and the absolute worst case scenario you'd want ....... so that's why I'd try all the software related fix attempts first.

FAS might have other diagnostic procedures that you could try yourself if you raise a ticket with support

Fingers crossed it's just software related!

Good luck

Thanks for the help! I will give the software fixes a try this weekend when I am near my axe. Hopefully that will fix it. If not, then I will open a ticket. I might be able to before this weekend, but I'm very limited on time right now unfortunately.

So I did factory resets on both the MFC & XL. Reloaded the newest firmware. And still have the same issue with the tuner display being off. I guess it is time to open up a support ticket :-(

That's the normal display, since the number of dots needs to be symmetrical while the display features an odd number of characters.

I suppose instead the designer could have left the blank space all the way on the right, but if you just watch the arrows you can use the tuner without any problems in my opinion.

That's the normal display, since the number of dots needs to be symmetrical while the display features an odd number of characters.

I suppose instead the designer could have left the blank space all the way on the right, but if you just watch the arrows you can use the tuner without any problems in my opinion.
Thanks M@ for the reply. I feel a little stupid right now.. I never noticed this until the Q4.0 update because I always tune down a half step.. I'm wondering if I never noticed that until I changed tuning on the same day as the update because I think the flat symbol might have been in that blank spot now that my brain started operating again. Sorry for the post, you can delete if desired. Excuse my idiot brain fart for a few days straight... lol

Back
Top Bottom