Bug? MFC-101 Mk III - display freezing

volt

Inspired
I have an Axe-Fx II (original) and MFC-101 Mk III (firmware version 3.08). They are conncected through FASLINK using an XA-1.

Don't know if it is just a coincidence, but since updating my Axe-Fx II to Quantum 4.00 I had the display of the MFC freezing two or three times.

While the switches of the MFC were still working, the display did not change its content anymore - e.g. when changing to another preset - but showed the number and name of the preset just saved. The Axe-Fx II reacted normally to switching effects on and off or changing the preset etc. The same goes for the LEDs of the MFC.

This happened on different presets after editing and then saving them. One time I was using Axe-Edit. In the other case(s) I edited from the front panel of the Axe-Fx II - USB not connected. Powering the MFC off and on did solve the issue for the moment. After the restart I tried to reproduce the freezing by immediately editing and saving the same preset again and another preset, too, but the MFC did not freeze then.

Has anybody else discovered this issue, too?

Thanks iaresee,

a faulty cable has been my first thought, too. Therefore I already changed the cable right after the first occurence of the freeze - sorry I did not mention... after the last freeze I changed back to the previously used cable, edited and saved round about 50 presets (from the front panel, no USB) just to see if the display would freeze again - but nothing, which is good but makes me wonder what else could cause the issue.

Update: It seems the issue occurs when the DOWN/DECR switch is or gets pressed down and switch 5/SETUP gets hit at the same time/a very short time later. At least I have been able to reproduce the issue two times this way and it could well be that the problem never occured while saving a preset but when I hit the DOWN/DECR switch and also accidentally the 5/SETUP switch *after* I had already saved the edited preset.

One more observation: When the display freezes the shown characters get faint sometimes. In that case after a restart the display was lit but blank, the switches and LEDs still working. After powering down the MFC once more, I waited some time before I switched it on again. Phew, back to normal! But still wondering what's going on...

Back
Top Bottom