MFC-101 Mk III BUG help: Switch 14 turning on all effects at once

mikeymike

Basically what the title says. I hit switch 14 and everything in any patch will turn on. All the things. Has anyone had this happen before?

If it's switching scenes, the target scene probably has every block engaged. A new block is engaged in every scene by default. Scenes 2-8 are like this in most or all factory presets.

what is Switch 14 set to do?
I just checked the IA assignments in the MFC-101 (Hit EDIT (exit/save), hit MIDI (switch 4), parameter over 7 times until "IA01 Axe-Fx Drive2" shows up. Scroll to 14 and it says "IA14 Axe-Fx NONE"
I back out and check the midi assignment (same process but 8 times over until "IA01 c1 CC#001 Ch01" is displayed. Go to 14 and it says "CC#124 Ch01" So I suppose that's "Scene DECR" in the Midi CTRL menu on the Axe-Fx 2 itself? I don't know how this happened I just reset the MFC-101 by holding 11 while powering it on a few days ago and a little while before that I did a full system parameter reset in the AFX 2 XL+ (and before that I did another MFC-101 reset)
If it's switching scenes, the target scene probably has every block engaged. A new block is engaged in every scene by default. Scenes 2-8 are like this in most or all factory presets.
I think it's switching scenes. Any ideas why it's happening, as in why the midi assignments on this MFC are coming up that way despite resetting it twice? are 13 and 14 supposed to be Scene INC and DECR from the factory?

Further, I had an issue where after I reset the MFC-101 it wouldn't let me use certain cabs for some reason. I would have a Factory 4x12 selected and if I tried to switch to the Y cabinet using the (Axe-Edit gui) it would switch to the Y screen and load up 1x6 oval by default but I could not hear anything at all. I proceeded to open the cab selection menu and pin it and start going down the list and a TON of them would make no noise at all. But when I got to certain 4x12s it would work. I eventually solved the problem by just unplugging the MFC-101 faslink cable from the back of the unit (while everything was off), restarting the unit and shutting it back down, re-insert the faslink cable at the back of the unit and start it again. Haven't had an issue since then (not sure if that solved it but it seemed to.). If anyone can shed some light on that issue/why it happened I'd be grateful. I am not sure if I did the system parameter reset at that time (I don't think I had yet)

Thank you guys for responding so quickly! The other post I made didn't get any replies (Axe-Edit preset manager not being able to move or copy more than 1 preset at a time even if I select 2 3 4 or 5 of them. It pretended to do it but then only the first of the batch would actually save to the slots. The rest remained blank. I know that's not on topic for mfc discussion but I figured I would ask. I feel like it's all MFC related but I can't be certain....)

Last edited:
Just for context, while I'm at home messing with this thing the bank size is set to 2 and the 2 preset switches are on the far right of the unit (4 and 5). The left 3 are IA's (1 and 2 are drives, 3 isn't assigned yet). I set it up this way because it's easer to access those drive switches if they're on the first row while sitting (quarantine jamming lol)

Since Axe-FX function is "none", it's sending CC#124 which is scene decrement.

If you select an Axe-FX function, the switch will perform that function instead of scene decrement.

Since Axe-FX function is "none", it's sending CC#124 which is scene decrement.

If you select an Axe-FX function, the switch will perform that function instead of scene decrement.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. Is this the default configuration for the MFC-101? Is there any way to clear those midi cc assignments and also not have to select an Axe-FX function? Even better, is there a list of all the default switch assignments? I notice after IA09 the CC# changes from 1-9 to 120-127 (meaning IA10 is CC#120, IA11 is CC#121 and so on and so forth until 17).

Likewise in the AFX2 they seem to sort of follow an incrementation scheme up until 33, at which point it jumps up to 120, 121, and 122 (looper half, undo, metronome) and then it returns to 34 (Scene Select) then it's interrupted again by two more (Scene INC and DECR 123, 124) and then it picks up again at 35, 36, (volume incr, decr) and from there on out it's incremental again until 117 (Reverb2 X/Y) with 125 and 126 being Rotary1 XY and Rotary2 XY then finally it returns to 118 and 119 for WAHWAH1 and 2 XY

Is this normal? What's up? lol

I'd like to fully restore this thing to factory but it seems you have to do it in segments like factory bank restore via Fractalbot, Reset System Params in the Utility menu. Both of which I've done. Is there anything else I can do?

Again thank you!

The MFC manual has a default setting list. Default for IA14 is Delay 1 bypass. Default setting reset procedure is described in section 13.2.

The Axe default CCs aren't entirely sequential. There's a list of default CCs in the Axe-FX manual. If you reset system parameters then it should already be set to defaults.

Default setting reset procedure is described in section 13.2.
I just did another reset and it is Delay 1 bypass, and the midi control # is #124 so I guess that is the default midi control # for this switch, unless I'm misunderstanding the entire scheme of things. I don't use all the IA switches so it would be nice to be able to defeat that midi function so that I don't accidentally switch scenes if i mis-press the switch. From what you guys have told me, if it's set to none it will send that cc, is there a cc I can use that won't do anything?

There's a list of default CCs in the Axe-FX manual.
Ahh! Thank you. I will check that out. Is there a list of default CC's for the mfc-101?

An Axe-FX function other than "none" means the manually-adjustable CC#s aren't used. The MFC will use the CC# of the selected function. (I'm not sure if defaults are required on the Axe-FX or if the MFC has a way of polling to gather CC settings.)

If you set Axe-FX function and that CC# both to "none" then a switch won't do anything. Alternatively you could just select the bypass function of a rarely-used block like a high-numbered GEQ/PEQ/Filter.

MFC default settings are in the MFC manual, somewhere in the last few pages.

If you set Axe-FX function and that CC# both to "none" then a switch won't do anything. Alternatively you could just select the bypass function of a rarely-used block like a high-numbered GEQ/PEQ/Filter.

MFC default settings are in the MFC manual, somewhere in the last few pages.
Thank you! I didn't check to see if there was a "none" CC#. Sorry for wasting your time. I'll go over the manual some more. Again, thank you for your assistance! 🙏

Back
Top Bottom