MFC-101... is it worth the money?

To sum it up: The MFC allows for bi-directional communication, whereas 3rd party MIDI boards only provide one-directional communication.
It's up to you if you actually need the visible feedback on block states or preset names. I know I don't.

Not true. My MMGT definitely uses bi-directional communications so that the preset name show up in the main display, the tuner works, if I have a button for say a Flanger and there’s no Flanger in the preset, the Flanger button does not light up, ...

I was on the original waiting list for the MFC (Mk1) when they first came out. I'm now using it with my XL via an XA-2 adapter. Still really pleased with it several years later. One quick question though. Upgrading from a Mk1 to a MkIII...worth it or not?

Not true. My MMGT definitely uses bi-directional communications so that the preset name show up in the main display, the tuner works, if I have a button for say a Flanger and there’s no Flanger in the preset, the Flanger button does not light up, ...
Yeah okay, to be exact, you can have bi-directional communication. But this requires a LOT of midi programming knowledge.

Yeah okay, to be exact, you can have bi-directional communication. But this requires a LOT of midi programming knowledge.

Yes, for Fractal when they created the MFC and for RJM when they created the MMGT, not for the end user. There was nothing I had to do in the MMGT config to get the bi-directional midi working. My point is really that bi-directional MIDI is not a selling point for the MFC vs a good alternate midi controller like the MMGT. The MFC was much easier to get going than the MMGT with the Axe Fx 2 as it was specifically designed for it. The MMGT is more of a blank canvas to control any device so it’s more work to get going than the MFC. But once it’s properly configured, there’s no usability advantages for the MFC over at least the MMGT. Simpler midi controllers for sure, but not a high end controller like the MMGT.

THIS is the most underrated controller out there...great small company with great customer service:

MIDI Controllers : TB-12 MIDI Controller

I agree completely. It's sturdy, comes in at a good price, is easy to program, is smaller than the FCB1010 and uses bi-direction functionality.

It shows preset name, tempo and has multi colour LCDs to show you IA states with very little programming.

I currently have an MFC coming to me (good price second hand) and I will be comparing both. If one is found wanting I will be selling one.

Yes, for Fractal when they created the MFC and for RJM when they created the MMGT, not for the end user. There was nothing I had to do in the MMGT config to get the bi-directional midi working. My point is really that bi-directional MIDI is not a selling point for the MFC vs a good alternate midi controller like the MMGT. The MFC was much easier to get going than the MMGT with the Axe Fx 2 as it was specifically designed for it. The MMGT is more of a blank canvas to control any device so it’s more work to get going than the MFC. But once it’s properly configured, there’s no usability advantages for the MFC over at least the MMGT. Simpler midi controllers for sure, but not a high end controller like the MMGT.
Look, I don't even know what this MMGT thing is. Even a google search didn't yield any usable results.

And when combining "RJM MMGT" in a google search, it brings me to a site that looks like it has been designed by a college student at best and barely contains any information either, other than a few blog entries.
So before we continue this discussion, we should get on the same page here.

Sorry, but this is also untrue. The Liquid Foot Pro automatically loads presets, on/off status of blocks, preset name etc. The PC editor is very easy too. Not taking anything at all away from the MFC because it's a great unit and probably is the only unit that is guaranteed to be compatible with all the axefx updates.

Look, I don't even know what this MMGT thing is. Even a google search didn't yield any usable results.

And when combining "RJM MMGT" in a google search, it brings me to a site that looks like it has been designed by a college student at best and barely contains any information either, other than a few blog entries.
So before we continue this discussion, we should get on the same page here.

http://www.rjmmusic.com/mastermind-gt.php
http://youtu.be/9i5-hdsKV_w - John Petrucci rig rundown
http://axefxtutorials.com/2015/02/chris-got-an-rjm-mastermind-gt-16/
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-w...tegrated-displays-good-usability-support.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other...ne-tried-new-mastermind-gt-22-controller.html

I'm really not trying to say that the MMGT is a better choice for everyone. It isn't. It's definitely more complex than the MFC which is really plug and play and the best choice for most people using the Axe Fx 2. But setup correctly it can certainly do everything the MFC can, less the proprietary FASlink connection.

Last edited:
Sorry, but this is also untrue. The Liquid Foot Pro automatically loads presets, on/off status of blocks, preset name etc. The PC editor is very easy too. Not taking anything at all away from the MFC because it's a great unit and probably is the only unit that is guaranteed to be compatible with all the axefx updates.
And it's twice as expensive as the MFC. ;)

Mastermind GT MIDI Controller by RJM Music Technology, Inc.
http://youtu.be/9i5-hdsKV_w - John Petrucci rig rundown
Chris got an RJM Mastermind GT 16!! | AxeFxTutorials.com
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-w...tegrated-displays-good-usability-support.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other...ne-tried-new-mastermind-gt-22-controller.html

I'm really not trying to say that the MMGT is a better choice for everyone. It isn't. It's definitely more complex than the MFC which is really plug and play and the best choice for most people using the Axe Fx 2. But setup correctly it can certainly do everything the MFC can, less the proprietary FASlink connection.
Jesus fucking christ up to 1900$ for a midi controller? What is happening?

I sold my MFC-101 Mark I recently and replaced it with a FAMC LF+ Pro+.

If you want something that's plug and play, the MFC-101 is the way to go.

The FAMC LF+ (Liquid Foot Plus) Midi foot controllers can be setup for plug & play in less than 3 minutes. Connect the power adapter, connect the USB cable, open the LF+ Editor, Click Utilities menu, select WIZARD Programming: AXE-FX II, click Yes, click OK. Click Page tab and select the page for your LF+ model, click Copy, select Page 1, click Paste, click Transfer All To LF+. Done! Now you can do everything the MFC-101 can and the footswitch displays say the names of the presets and IA's.

I don't own a RJM Mastermind GT but I think it's plug & play setup is about the same as the FAMC LF+.

If you like to change the footswitch layout a lot, then you won't be satisfied with the MFC-101 bc it's lacking the Page layout that the FAMC LF+ and RJM Mastermind GT have.

I personally could never go back to the MFC-101 now that I've used Pages and Footswitch Displays.

I recommend RJM over FAMC bc they are more user friendly, have better support and the owner has good communication on their forum, which makes them worth the higher price than FAMC.

The BJ Devices Midi controllers look nice but I feel there would be too much explaining to do with the significant other when it shows up on the credit card bill ;)

The gold standard in this area purely from a functionality standpoint, IMO, is Liquid Foot/FAMC. Those controllers will do literally anything you can imagine; they'll do things that even the MMGT can't do. Unfortunately the well-documented issues with FAMC as a company make me too nervous to invest in their products. Too bad, because their pricing is a bargain relative to the incredible functionality (maybe that's why they struggle as a company!) The MMGT is the next-most-desired controller on my list, but not at that price. The MFC-101 represents the best mix of functionality, ease of use, support, and value, which is why I own an MFC-101. It doesn't do everything I want, but until the magical unicorn of controllers is invented and sold for $1,000 or less, it'll do just fine.

The gold standard in this area purely from a functionality standpoint, IMO, is Liquid Foot/FAMC. Those controllers will do literally anything you can imagine; they'll do things that even the MMGT can't do. Unfortunately the well-documented issues with FAMC as a company make me too nervous to invest in their products. Too bad, because their pricing is a bargain relative to the incredible functionality (maybe that's why they struggle as a company!) The MMGT is the next-most-desired controller on my list, but not at that price. The MFC-101 represents the best mix of functionality, ease of use, support, and value, which is why I own an MFC-101. It doesn't do everything I want, but until the magical unicorn of controllers is invented and sold for $1,000 or less, it'll do just fine.
The thing is; TO was asking for budget solutions... so I highly doubt the LF or MMGT is even an option for him.

The thing is; TO was asking for budget solutions... so I highly doubt the LF or MMGT is even an option for him.

He didn't ask for budget solutions...he asked if the MFC is worth the money. And I answered his question, yes it is worth the money (if you buy one used), with a little background as to why I think that.

BTW, not sure about Australia, but here in the US the LF products are comparable to (in some cases cheaper than) the MFC.

The gold standard in this area purely from a functionality standpoint, IMO, is Liquid Foot/FAMC. Those controllers will do literally anything you can imagine; they'll do things that even the MMGT can't do.

Both the Liquid Foot and the MMGT can do things the other can't. If you're interested in a foot controller with individual screens, I would recommend downloading each of the products Mac/PC editors and have a play. I did this at length and the MMGT was the better choice for me and that was based purely on functionality. If you want to discuss the differences, please see: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-w...tegrated-displays-good-usability-support.html

Last edited:
It's necessary if you have an AxeFX and you do gigs

I don't agree. I've done blues and covers gigs with a Les Paul, switching between pickups for tones with a coil split and using the volume rolloff to control clean/dirty sounds. I used one preset for the two hour gig..... but granted, this was a stylistically limited gig.

Axe is so flexible and awesome and amazing that it accepts basically anything for a foot switch. I've done two gigs with a diy tuna can with a switch.

I just picked one up used after using a LF JR and a LF+ JR+ previously. I'm digging having more buttons on the layout to do a mix of scenes and have more IAs. Plus I set up a few volume increment/decrement IAs and that's working very well. Much more plug and play than the LF JR and it will always be more in sync with the AxeFX when the FWs rev.

One note...and maybe it's just because I have big feet...but I struggled in rehearsal with it the first time I used it wrt my accuracy to press the button I wanted. When attempting to click on the middle row, I consistently hit the bottom row. We'll see if I can learn the new feel through repetition. For whatever reason, I never really had that problem with the Liquid Foots.

I agree completely. It's sturdy, comes in at a good price, is easy to program, is smaller than the FCB1010 and uses bi-direction functionality.

It shows preset name, tempo and has multi colour LCDs to show you IA states with very little programming.

I currently have an MFC coming to me (good price second hand) and I will be comparing both. If one is found wanting I will be selling one.

I would buy your used TB12 for backup!

Back
Top Bottom