Wish MFC-101 Edit Lockout Mode

Sleestak

Power User
I'd love to have an assignable performance mode that disables the MFC-101 EDIT button until explicitly re-enabled.

The methodology should be something like "hold down the EDIT button and button #1 for five seconds until the screen confirms EDIT LOCK has been enabled. It should require two buttons that are widely spaced apart, so it can't accidentally be engaged. It should use the same process to re-enable.

My rationale: I play in a band that uses video projections and a big light show, so stage illumination varies, including between-song blackouts. I use Sukh's lovely glowing KickTags, which help me find the right buttons. On my pedalboard, I have two EV-1 pedals that are to the right of the MFC-101, plus a Mission wah-style controller on the far right. When using the EV-1 pedal that is next to the MFC-101, the control buttons on the rightmost row are very easy to accidentally engage, as they are exactly at the same level as the top of the EV-1. Having my foot just a little misaligned on that EV-1 places those buttons underfoot. Putting the MFC-101 into EDIT mode during a gig isn't the end of the world, but it's annoying and takes a little tap dancing to undo. I've also accidentally engaged LED Test Mode, from which there is apparently no escape without a reboot! That happened to me mid-song at a big tour performance, and I just bit the bullet and rebooted immediately, because I needed to switch scenes for the solo.

I've also asked in the past whether we could just reassign the functions that are on those rightmost buttons. That would also solve my problem. EDIT should be elsewhere on the board, such as the very top near the display; for that matter, I don't even use the EDIT button once I've set up my system for touring, so EDIT could be a secondary function activated by holding the REVEAL button for five seconds. 99% of the time, I use my MFC-101 for performance, and I want to optimize it for that function - even it means editing requires an additional step.

Essentially, I need my MFC-101 to be Sleestak-proof. My current tour workaround is inelegant, but functional : I have a black 1/2" PVC cap attached to a magnetic label, which covers the button. I could also rebuild the board with my pedals on the other side, but this really is the way I want it set up, as I prefer to operate my pedals with my right foot.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 16
Switch Edit Menu from SHORT to LONG and then you have to hold down the edit button for a couple of seconds for it to switch. Makes it much harder to accidentally bump over to edit mode.

Edit > Setup > Page Right 23x or Page Left 6x

exactly! I used to do the same thing! the Edit lock is a life saver. Now if they only did that for the bank up and down buttons!

I seem to remember somebody posting that they had glued an off-cut of PVC pipe around the button that was just higher than the switch... this meant no foot presses possible and you had to use your finger to depress the switch.

Not an ideal solution but maybe something to consider?

I seem to remember somebody posting that they had glued an off-cut of PVC pipe around the button that was just higher than the switch... this meant no foot presses possible and you had to use your finger to depress the switch.

Not an ideal solution but maybe something to consider?
I used an extra magnetic tag label that I had, and just glued a PVC cap to it. Primitive, but useful!

Back
Top Bottom