MFC-101/Axe-Edit/Ultra communication

rtcook

Experienced
I hooked mine up like this and it works.

View attachment 8700

But like everyone has said the MFC-101 does not update from Axe-Edit.

Would it work like this? A MIDI Thru box splitting to the MFC-101.

View attachment 8703

Or, is there another way to get everything to work? Read something about a 4 cable setup but did not understand it.

Thanks,

Roger

Last edited:
I would like to also connect my new Ultra, MFC101 and PC. What is a midi merger? Is it h/w and how did you adjust the pin wiring please? many thanks in advance.

This would help me, but the Word doc attachement from Paolo68 in your link above does not work. Does anybody have the attachment? I would like to see what he did.

Roger

Your second diagram should let Axe-Edit change MFC presets. Choosing a preset via MFC wouldn't change the current Axe-Edit preset.

If you have a 2x2 interface there's a simpler config. that allows MFC & AE to be used together. Axe-Edit won't send preset changes to the MFC but the MFC can change AE presets. I described the connections to do that here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/rigs-...ller-axe-edit-midi-merging-midisport-2x2.html AE has merge ability now so you can ignore everything about additional software for routing, unless you run into problems and want to try an alternate method. (The only difference is if you're not using AE merging, the MFC can't change AE presets.)

Bakerman,

Thanks for responding. Is there not a way to make all three pieces (Axe Edit, Axe-Fx and the MFC-101) work together? Or, will I always have to put up with one part not working? I'm new at MIDI and don't quite understand everything. So, please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks,

Roger

I don't know if there would be a way to have Axe-Edit and MFC both able to trigger a preset change on each other without running into an endless recall loop or other problems. AE sends a program change to MFC, MFC loads preset and sends a PC to Axe-Edit, which might make AE reload the preset again and send a PC to the MFC, etc. Aside from that one detail everything should work together. If you want to have all 3 devices displaying the same preset just remember to use the MFC to recall it, not Axe-Edit.

In your opinion, what's the best way to hook this all up. I have a M-Audio 2x2 Anniversary and suppose I could go the 4 cable route. Or, like I said, I already have the MIDI Merger and could buy the MIDI Thru. I guess I have to compromise. This should not be a problem. Just thought it logically should all work together.

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

Roger

2x2 + 4 cables. The merger/thru setup would only change that one detail about which device can change the other by sending a program change.

Back
Top Bottom