MFC-101 as a general midi controller with Axe-Fx II or Axe-Fx III

That's what I was trying to figure out concerning channels, whether all you had to do was add a value to what you'd already set up as the bypass cc# to turn on/off a particular effect, or whether you had to set up an additional completely different CC# in the Channels page and also add a value number to change the channel of that same effect.

I spent several hours trying to get this to work but had issues loading the *.syx file back into the MFC-101, so I gave up. I won't have any time to program anything until next week. I was hoping to use the AxeFXIII live this weekend too, pretty bummed I couldn't get it to work. I do appreciate the help though.

I spent several hours trying to get this to work but had issues loading the *.syx file back into the MFC-101, so I gave up. I won't have any time to program anything until next week. I was hoping to use the AxeFXIII live this weekend too, pretty bummed I couldn't get it to work. I do appreciate the help though.

Here is the advice given to me by the person who made MFC-Edit.

"Try the SLOW DUMP option instead of just the DUMP option in the MFC-101. And use the Roland UM-ONE interface. And connect ONLY ONE CABLE AT A TIME from the MFC-101 MIDI OUT to the computer. In other words, don't plug in both MIDI ends of the Roland UM-ONE at the same time."

I got it to work just hooked up through usb by selecting the Slow syx data dump in the MFC-101. I have since bought a Roland UM-ONE but haven't needed to use it.

Can anyone help with setting up the MFC with the axe 3? i have all the effects blocks set for bypass on and off like i want. That part is working fine. I just can't figure out how to work around changing scenes or presets on the axe 3 from the MFC 3. any ideas or help would be great.

Can anyone help with setting up the MFC with the axe 3? i have all the effects blocks set for bypass on and off like i want. That part is working fine. I just can't figure out how to work around changing scenes or presets on the axe 3 from the MFC 3. any ideas or help would be great.

See my earlier posts in this thread. In particular post #9, #10, and #12.
It's all there.

I've got the scenes figures out. I can't get the program changes to work to map out the presets. not sure what im doing wrong

I've got the scenes figures out. I can't get the program changes to work to map out the presets. not sure what im doing wrong

On your Axe FXIII hit setup, then Midi/Remote. Turn Program Change on, and PC mapping off.

On your MFC-101: Change Mode from Axe FX mode to NONE.
Change the port on the MFC-101 from Expansion to Midi.
I set program change to "on", scene revert to "on", midi channel to "1".
Note: All my switches are set to toggle, send /prst = yes, and GBL = no.

This thread is useful to me since I'm trying to use the MFC with the Axe-FX III. I've been following the advice posted here. It looks like I have to rename all the presets once in MIDI mode. True?

OK - help needed. I thought I was making great strides, getting my MFC set up for my brand new FX III... I have it working using MIDI cable for preset changes, scene changes, 1A's acting as stomp box on and off... including setting tap tempo and tuner. BUT -

Did I just hit a snag? (maybe two)… help?
1) When performing I use Bandhelper to select my Preset & Scene by MIDI, based on song choice. But that is plugged from Computer to FX III - so FX III is going to correct preset, but MFC doesn't change presets! Nor when I just turn the value wheel on FX III - MFC does not change. I looked at both FX III and MFC config, but have no ideas...
2) So Scenes - When I store presets on MFC (say Preset 1, name = 'Set1'), I also store the default status of each 1A on MFC (on or bypass), so that when I click my MFC 'Set1' button all of the lights match the states on the FX III. But MFC doesn't have a "Scenes" subset, so I can't save On/Bypass states by Scene?\

Maybe an example will help - For 1 Preset, Reverb is On in Scene 1, Bypassed in Scene 2...can MFC display this properly between scene changes? I have it working for preset changes already.

Or do I just need to buy MFC-Edit...

OK - help needed. I thought I was making great strides, getting my MFC set up for my brand new FX III... I have it working using MIDI cable for preset changes, scene changes, 1A's acting as stomp box on and off... including setting tap tempo and tuner. BUT -

Did I just hit a snag? (maybe two)… help?
1) When performing I use Bandhelper to select my Preset & Scene by MIDI, based on song choice. But that is plugged from Computer to FX III - so FX III is going to correct preset, but MFC doesn't change presets! Nor when I just turn the value wheel on FX III - MFC does not change. I looked at both FX III and MFC config, but have no ideas...
The MFC does not know that anything was changed. You would need bidirectional communication and the MFC would need to understand the Axe Fx III protocol.

Try connecting Bandhelper to the midi IN of the MFC. I'm not positive the scene change would work, but the preset charge should.
2) So Scenes - When I store presets on MFC (say Preset 1, name = 'Set1'), I also store the default status of each 1A on MFC (on or bypass), so that when I click my MFC 'Set1' button all of the lights match the states on the FX III. But MFC doesn't have a "Scenes" subset, so I can't save On/Bypass states by Scene?\

Maybe an example will help - For 1 Preset, Reverb is On in Scene 1, Bypassed in Scene 2...can MFC display this properly between scene changes? I have it working for preset changes already.

Or do I just need to buy MFC-Edit...
You can save the default state of the buttons in the MFC preset. You cannot track the state across scene changes. Again, it would need bidirectional communication, etc.

By the way, you wrote "1A" a couple times. I assume you mean IA, as in "Instant Access"?

By the way, you wrote "1A" a couple times. I assume you mean IA, as in "Instant Access"?

Thanks for the feedback - confirms what I was thinking, and confirms that I need an FC series for what I really want to do. MFC will work for now, and already on the list...waiting patiently...

And yep, meant IA, not 1A... sloppy posting.

I tried manually inputting the cc numbers that were in the II into the III. That was a waste of time. It didn't work. But I was able to have the III learn from the MFC. I'm getting close having all the functionality that I had before... except the MFC showing the availability of which IA buttons are in the patch.

I only have one snag left. When I engage the tuner it mutes the signal as it should. But when I turn the tuner off, my expression pedals are reset like when the system boots up. Expression one controls a volume block before pre time based effects. There's no sound after boot up until I move the pedal. This is fine when turning on the rig but not after using the tuner. Is there anything I can do about this?

Last edited:
I only have one snag left. When I engage the tuner it mutes the signal as it should. But when I turn the tuner off, my expression pedals are reset like when the system boots up. Expression one controls a volume block pre time based effects. There's no sound after boot up until I move the pedal. This is fine when turning on the rig but not after using the tuner. Is there anything I can do about this?
I believe that was identified as a bug and fixed in the next release.

Hey trancegodz, just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for the info on getting the MFC up and running on the new III. I just got mine less than 24 hours ago and it's almost gig ready now thanks to you!

The only thing left to figure out now is how to replace the x/y potion that I used for the rotary on the II.

If I do the following set up, would I need to change all the CC#s in the III?
IA Switches 1-5 preset changes
IA Switches 6-13 Scene changes
Not use any of the other IA switches and just program all the changes into presets and scenes.

If I do the following set up, would I need to change all the CC#s in the III?
IA Switches 1-5 preset changes
IA Switches 6-13 Scene changes
Not use any of the other IA switches and just program all the changes into presets and scenes.
There are no default CC assignments on the Axe Fx III. You would at least to assign CC#34 to Scenes.

Back
Top Bottom