MFC-101 and Mission EP-1 for Volume not Working

SeanJuan

Hello, I am new to my Fractal gear as well and the forums and I seek your help. I have a Axe FX II XL+ and an MFC-101, along with a mission EP-1 expression pedal. I am trying to setup the pedal as a volume pedal. I have researched it and done everything listed in a couple of the common videos I have found in these forums. Here's what I have tried:
  • on the MFC-101, I have configured expression pedal 1 (also tried 2) so that it reads "XP1 #011 CH01 BegPDL" also tried the BegOFF setting
  • I have gone in and calibrated the pedal to range from 000 to 116
  • On the Axe FX, I have checked that in the I/O menu, CTRL tab the OUT1 VOLUME is set to 11. I have checked and verified that this is the only item set to 11
  • Then I added VOL/PAN to my preset and verified that it is set to External 1
  • I am using a TRS cable from the pedals OUT 1 port to the Expression 1 port on the MFC
After all of this, the pedal is not controlling the volume. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

You’ve set Out 1 Volume to CC# 11 then you’ve set the Volume block to External 1. External 1 is not CC#11.

You need to set your XP port to whatever number External 1 is in the control list.

XP port set to External 1’s CC#
Set modifier to External 1

That’s it.

Thank you for your reply. I must be missing a step but I thought I had done with you suggested.

Attachments

• Axe1.jpg
    Axe1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Axe2.jpg
    Axe2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
I have played around with it a bit more and still no luck. I did realize that I made a mistake (but feel it should have still worked) buy assigning both the MFC and AXE FX to CC11. I have since changed them both to CC16, which is "EXT CTRL 1", then I verified that my volume block in AXE-Edit is set to "Extern 1" but when I move the pedal, it still does control the volume.

Last edited:
I am at a loss. I have followed this video step by step:

how-do-i-setup-expression-pedals-with-the-mfc-101/

when I create the volume block and assign it to external 1, then move the pedal like shown in the video, my graph does not move. I have attached pictures of my current settings

Attachments

• Axe2.jpg
    Axe2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Axe1.jpg
    Axe1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • Axe3.jpg
    Axe3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • Axe4.jpg
    Axe4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
I did realize that I made a mistake (but feel it should have still worked) buy assigning both the MFC and AXE FX to CC11.
that would have controlled the final output volume, as if you were turning the physical knob on the front panel. that still would not have controlled the volume block, because the volume block is not "cc#11."

does the pedal actually work? you said you calibrated it successfully? definitely using a TRS cable, the one with 2 rings on the jack?

that would have controlled the final output volume, as if you were turning the physical knob on the front panel. that still would not have controlled the volume block, because the volume block is not "cc#11."

does the pedal actually work? you said you calibrated it successfully? definitely using a TRS cable, the one with 2 rings on the jack?

yes, I am able to calibrate it from 0 to 116. I have also successfully used it plugged directly into the Axe FX. And I am using a TRS cable

I am on firmware 3.08 on the MFC-101. I updated the Axe FX firmware a week or so ago to version 2.0 but did not check the MFC-101 firmware. I don't have a midi cable and believe that I need one to update firmware. Should I go buy one and try that?

Last edited:
I bought this MFC-101 used and am hoping I did not get a bad unit. I went and bought a new TRS cable to see if mine was bad and still no luck :(

Back
Top Bottom