MFC-101 and CAE 3+ SE

julien

Hi every one.

I'am Julien from France

I have an fx xl+ and an MFC101.
I also have a CAE3+SE which I love. I managed to integrate it into my axe FX with the FX loop and an interface "the voodoo lab control switcher."

But I don't know how to change the channels via the pedal MFC ??? (the CAE has a Ch1, 2, 3 and Eq).

Thanks a lot for your help! ((( and sorry for my english)

Julien

Last edited:
That connector says specifically the CAE controller "only"... I would suspect that means it's not a standard midi.

So you are saying you already have the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher?

That's a midi controlled relay switcher, which is what you really need to understand for doing what you want.

Have you figured out how to "manually" change channels on the CAE by pressing the front buttons on the Control Switcher?

The manual for the Control Switcher is here:

http://voodoolab.com/manuals/control_switcher_v2_manual.pdf

It explains that you can use either PC or CC changes to control the active switches.

You'll need to decide how you want to do that.

Since the CAE seems to be already doing "mutually exclusive" switching, then you can probably just use CCs for channel selection.

On the MFC you will need to setup switches as "general purpose IA" switches as documented in the manual. Set them to send the corresponding CC for the switch channel.

On the Control Switcher, you'll need to set the Midi channel to one that is different from your Axe Fx.

How are you connecting the MFC to the Axe Fx? If not by midi cable you'll need to set the Axe Fx to "echo MFC" to ON so any messages coming in get passed out.

Connect your Axe Fx midi thru or out to the input of the Control Switcher. Make sure to use a 3-pin midi cable for this. The Control Switcher provides phantom power and the pins they use are non-standard. Usually they have a warning in their manuals about this but not in this manual. You don't want to damage your Axe Fx!

The guys at Voodoo Lab are very helpful. I would suggest contacting them for any questions.

The main thing from the MFC is just setting some general purpose IA switches.

Hello Unix-Guy

First of all i want to thank you for the time you took to answer me.

I apologize for my English. I am French and I use google translation ... :sweatsmile:

That connector says specifically the CAE controller "only"... I would suspect that means it's not a standard midi.
->I think you are right, the footswitch input should not be used for this

-> yes i bought it

Have you figured out how to "manually" change channels on the CAE by pressing the front buttons on the Control Switcher?
-> yes and it works very well. Button 2 activate ch2, button 3 activate ch3 ...

On the MFC you will need to setup switches as "general purpose IA" switches as documented in the manual. Set them to send the corresponding CC for the switch channel.
->yes i followed the procedure page 30 : 6 INTERNAL CCs. and The default group is CC numbers 80-83, which means that 80 controls switch #1, 81 controls switch #2, 82 controls switch #3, and 83 controls switch #4 (page 9)
But it doesn't work.

How are you connecting the MFC to the Axe Fx? If not by midi cable you'll need to set the Axe Fx to "echo MFC" to ON so any messages coming in get passed out.
-> the FMC and the FX are connected by a fastlink

Connect your Axe Fx midi thru or out to the input of the Control Switcher. Make sure to use a 3-pin midi cable for this. The Control Switcher provides phantom power and the pins they use are non-standard. Usually they have a warning in their manuals about this but not in this manual. You don't want to damage your Axe Fx!
->FMC out midi
control switch in midi
I use a standard 5-pin midi cable ... and the fractal / control switcher link doesn't seem to have been a problem

i will also try to contact the guys from voodoo lab

thanks

Hello Unix-Guy

First of all i want to thank you for the time you took to answer me.

I apologize for my English. I am French and I use google translation ... :sweatsmile:

->I think you are right, the footswitch input should not be used for this

-> yes i bought it

-> yes and it works very well. Button 2 activate ch2, button 3 activate ch3 ...

->yes i followed the procedure page 30 : 6 INTERNAL CCs. and The default group is CC numbers 80-83, which means that 80 controls switch #1, 81 controls switch #2, 82 controls switch #3, and 83 controls switch #4 (page 9)
But it doesn't work.

-> the FMC and the FX are connected by a fastlink

->FMC out midi
control switch in midi
I use a standard 5-pin midi cable ... and the fractal / control switcher link doesn't seem to have been a problem

i will also try to contact the guys from voodoo lab

thanks
You can't use both FASLink and midi from the MFC at the same time as far as I know.

You should connect:

MFC -> (FASLink) Axe Fx -> (midi) Control Switcher

You need to set MFC Echo in the Axe Fx and connect the midi from midi OUT.

See this:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx_II_XL_MIDI_THRU_Guide.pdf

all my parameters seem correct.

but my configuration is as follows.

MFC -> (FASLink) Axe Fx
MFC (midi out) -> (midi in) Control Switcher

Axe FX -> jack CAE 3+

ok. I understand.

MFC -> axe fx 2 (faslink)
Axe fx 2 midi out -> control switcher (midi in)

MFC ECHO TO MIDI OUT = ON

I’am going to try

Last edited:
and after

Edit / midi / IA01 c1 CC#001 ch01

Is it the good parameters

exemple : I want Canal 2 on the IA 6

IA06 c1 CC#081 ch01

What midi channel is your Axe Fx using?

You do not want the Axe Fx and the Control Switcher on the same midi channels.

I think the Axe Fx defaults to channel 1 as well. Even though you are using FASLink to control the Axe Fx it may still see the midi.

I would suggest setting the Axe Fx to use midi channel 2.

ok i will give it a try.

I had set up the IA and the control switcher on Ch2.

what does it mean on the MFC manual :

(Axe-Fx Mode OFF) ???

Last edited:
I had set up the IA and the control switcher on Ch2.
Ok... Your earlier post showed ch01 for the switch.
what does it mean on the MFC manual :

(Axe-Fx Mode OFF) ???
It means your MFC is not set to work with an Axe Fx. You want to set that to Axe Fx II. See page 12 of the manual.
nothing... :sweat:
Do you have a USB to midi adapter? You could try installing a midi monitor such as Midi OX on your computer. Then connect the adapter to your computer and the Axe Fx. See what is being transmitted when you press the button.

Do you have a USB to midi adapter? You could try installing a midi monitor such as Midi OX on your computer. Then connect the adapter to your computer and the Axe Fx. See what is being transmitted when you press the button.

no i don't have one i'm going to buy one.

Hi Julien,
I have a question for you as I also would like to connect my CAE 3+ SE with my AxeFXII.
How did you connect - in series or did you connect to the Axe FX loop (thru Input/Output 2)?
What was you routing option that you chose?

Back
Top Bottom