MF-10 - yes.

sb-SG

Inspired
Hi.
Some feedback on the MF-10's ....
The common scenario - I need a flat but full range amplification solution that is both as accurate as an AX7 but also makes my trousers flap....
It seems to be a big ask. I've already amassed 2 sets of studio monitors (AX7's and Presonus R80's) to get me to that point yet sadly something was lacking - and despite a good deal of tweaking. I read all the threads, hunted down countless reviews and pretended that a You Tube review was in some way representative of what I hoped to hear. It's not easy. To be clear I'm a "home studio" player and not that likely to take my gear to any major venue but I know what I'm missing in terms of air pressure / AITR etc etc. I even got really desperate and bought a valve amp combo just to see if this would fill the sonic void - it didn't. It sounded weak and desperately limited compared to an Axe FX (well, it would wouldn't it?) and it went back to the store.....

So with a belief that G66 (I'm UK) only sell stuff that's actually worth owning, and with the best possible customer service to give me confidence that if it doesn't work out there'll be zero hassle I gave the credit card some pain. They are not cheap things, and I still feel same on that score, but they are value for money and above all these things deliver. Yes. I'm delighted. I took a few weeks to get around to saying so cos there was some setup on the Axe FX to factor in and I needed to be convinced that I was hearing / feeling what I was after - but there it is.
In short - it's the sweet spot between monitor and cab and it doesn't feel like a compromise. More than sufficient power. Super quiet when they're supposed to be. Compact cube format that sits nicely on the floor. Massive wide stereo sound stage. And the air moves around these things such as that nice thump of a pick that completes the dynamic.
That's about it. Hard to put into words but for me this is the best solution to AITR that also does the AxeFX justice.
I struggled to find that much about these things and took a punt. No regrets.
And if you are in the UK we now benefit from the attentions of Sukh who efficiently brings G66 even closer.
So maybe consider putting this right at the top of the very short list?
Either way I hope that helps.

Hi.
The common scenario - I need a flat but full range amplification solution that is both as accurate as an AX7 but also makes my trousers flap....
It seems to be a big ask. I've already amassed 2 sets of studio monitors (AX7's and Presonus R80's) to get me to that point yet sadly something was lacking - and despite a good deal of tweaking. I read all the threads, hunted down countless reviews and pretended that a You Tube review was in some way representative of what I hoped to hear. It's not easy. To be clear I'm a "home studio" player and not that likely to take my gear to any major venue but I know what I'm missing in terms of air pressure / AITR etc etc. I even got really desperate and bought a valve amp combo just to see if this would fill the sonic void - it didn't. It sounded weak and desperately limited compared to an Axe FX (well, it would wouldn't it?) and it went back to the store.....

So with a belief that G66 (I'm UK) only sell stuff that's actually worth owning, and with the best possible customer service to give me confidence that if it doesn't work out there'll be zero hassle I gave the credit card some pain. They are not cheap things, and I still feel same on that score, but they are value for money and above all these things deliver. Yes. I'm delighted. I took a few weeks to get around to saying so cos there was some setup on the Axe FX to factor in and I needed to be convinced that I was hearing / feeling what I was after - but there it is.
In short - it's the sweet spot between monitor and cab and it doesn't feel like a compromise. More than sufficient power. Super quiet when they're supposed to be. Compact cube format that sits nicely on the floor. Massive wide stereo sound stage. And the air moves around these things such as that nice thump of a pick that completes the dynamic.
That's about it. Hard to put into words but for me this is the best solution to AITR that also does the AxeFX justice.
And if you are in the UK we now benefit from the attentions of Sukh who efficiently brings G66 even closer.
Thank you for your feedback. That’s exactly my experience as well.
If I could only use one word to describe them, it would be „fun“!

Hi.

Thanks for taking the time to post this mate - so glad you’re digging them. Still loving my MF10s after 18 months of use - they rock!!

Summed up perfectly. I also dial in my tones with A7X monitors and then use MF.10s when I wanna crank it up. They translate very well, so I can say with confidence that they’re simultaneously as transparent yet ballsy as you could hope for.

I was looking to see if there is a suitable thread to post this question, and @sb-SG, you are incredibly timely with the review.

Scenario for me is rather different. For studio monitoring, I have been using Adam A5X monitors for a couple of years, supplemented by an Adam Sub 8 in recent months. Completely sublime for anything, using in a well treated studio control room, so work incredibly well for recorded music, mixing, and of course for my Axe FX III.

But for live work, I thought I'd better go for complete overkill, as I am a serial 100W Marshall half-stack user, or occasionally 50W, but have tended to supplement with a 2x12 combo on occasion either way. So my direction for live monitoring (with a whole lot of it more than audible at front-of-house) has been a Matrix GT1000FX sitting on a Greenboy Fearless F115. And it's awesome, but was possibly a mistake. There was me thinking it's a 900W cab, and it flaps trousers, and sounds totally amazing, from imitating a Fender Princeton Reverb to a Marshall 2203 through a 4x12, so what could go wrong? Well it was sort of obvious with hindsight. It has a really effective passive crossover, and when used with guitar the 15" driver does very little of the work, so the 5" mid driver carries the heaviest load. And when that work is trying to imitate a 4x12 spread across a stage and auditorium, and it's an 85W mid driver carrying loud and fuzzy tones at times, they end up blown relatively easily.

So my immediate thought after ordering a replacement 5" mid driver for the F115 recently (and actually a spare too, ready for next time...) was whether there's anything FRFR that might fill small to medium size venues like a Marshall head on a 4x12 cab can? I bought a pair of RCF ART 732A Mk 4 for front of house duties last year, and they are impressive, but maybe a little "brassy". Work well for vocals, acoustic guitars, (and drums with care over high-pass EQ), but for whatever reason are not that inspiring as an Axe FX FRFR monitoring solution.

Accepting Sukh's (@G66 UK Man) wisdom that the MF-10s really can recreate the "trouser flap" of a 4x12, has anyone tried out at gig volume in a small or medium size venue? I must admit, having experimented poorly to date, that I am more than willing to try it out and offer feedback if no-one else has done it yet. If I try it, first attempt will be with the band where I used a 50W Marshall for the audition, but the drummer really hits hard at times, so I never bothered with anything other than a 100W amp since. The SPLs are probably damaging in the rehearsal room, hopefully a little less so once out at a gig.

Liam

🤘I was looking to see if there is a suitable thread to post this question, and @sb-SG, you are incredibly timely with the review.

Scenario for me is rather different. For studio monitoring, I have been using Adam A5X monitors for a couple of years, supplemented by an Adam Sub 8 in recent months. Completely sublime for anything, using in a well treated studio control room, so work incredibly well for recorded music, mixing, and of course for my Axe FX III.

But for live work, I thought I'd better go for complete overkill, as I am a serial 100W Marshall half-stack user, or occasionally 50W, but have tended to supplement with a 2x12 combo on occasion either way. So my direction for live monitoring (with a whole lot of it more than audible at front-of-house) has been a Matrix GT1000FX sitting on a Greenboy Fearless F115. And it's awesome, but was possibly a mistake. There was me thinking it's a 900W cab, and it flaps trousers, and sounds totally amazing, from imitating a Fender Princeton Reverb to a Marshall 2203 through a 4x12, so what could go wrong? Well it was sort of obvious with hindsight. It has a really effective passive crossover, and when used with guitar the 15" driver does very little of the work, so the 5" mid driver carries the heaviest load. And when that work is trying to imitate a 4x12 spread across a stage and auditorium, and it's an 85W mid driver carrying loud and fuzzy tones at times, they end up blown relatively easily.

So my immediate thought after ordering a replacement 5" mid driver for the F115 recently (and actually a spare too, ready for next time...) was whether there's anything FRFR that might fill small to medium size venues like a Marshall head on a 4x12 cab can? I bought a pair of RCF ART 732A Mk 4 for front of house duties last year, and they are impressive, but maybe a little "brassy". Work well for vocals, acoustic guitars, (and drums with care over high-pass EQ), but for whatever reason are not that inspiring as an Axe FX FRFR monitoring solution.

Accepting Sukh's (@G66 UK Man) wisdom that the MF-10s really can recreate the "trouser flap" of a 4x12, has anyone tried out at gig volume in a small or medium size venue? I must admit, having experimented poorly to date, that I am more than willing to try it out and offer feedback if no-one else has done it yet. If I try it, first attempt will be with the band where I used a 50W Marshall for the audition, but the drummer really hits hard at times, so I never bothered with anything other than a 100W amp since. The SPLs are probably damaging in the rehearsal room, hopefully a little less so once out at a gig.

Liam
I am glad you found my experience helpful. Whereas everybody has a potentially different use case you have clearly got to a similarly frustrated place as I did and the reason why I thought I should share my very positive experience of the MF-10's. I had got to a place of trying anything but a little doubtful my requirements could ever be fulfilled! I looked at Matrix, CLR's hunted down reviews and only proceeded to order because G66 only seem to sell gear that does the job - we can probably all agree on that.... :) And if it didn't happen to match what I was after no hassle return - no harm done. Cool.
I took a couple of weeks to live with them - way past a shiny new honeymoon making a direct comparison (easy in a home studio) with what I was using previously. So I feel I have owned them long enough to know they at least meet expectations. It's more than just volume - it's a certain dynamic that don't seem to come from studio monitors.
How they will work for you is most definitely for you to try and decide. Not sure where you are based but if you can access G66 you really don't have anything to lose. Will a stereo MF-10 pair match SPL's from a 4 x 12? I'd guess yes based on my experience as I'm going to take the plaster off the walls and total my hearing gear if I go anywhere near max at home. But yes, the phenomena now known as "trouser flap" is alive with a pair of MF-10s - got to be well worth a punt - go for it.
Be mighty interested to hear how you get on 👍🤘

@sb-SG, I am a big fan of G66, and being north west UK-based, so not that far from Sukh. I'm very glad we now have UK supply available.

I'll aim to order a stereo pair in the very near future, and I'll let you know if I run out of SPL for live use!

Liam

You guys got me GASing now for these MF10s...I got two pairs of CLRs (Gen. 1 and Neos), Gen. 1 are already partly defective and who knows how long the Neos will work? And then there´s no support in Europe from Atomic.

@sb-SG, I am a big fan of G66, and being north west UK-based, so not that far from Sukh. I'm very glad we now have UK supply available.

I'll aim to order a stereo pair in the very near future, and I'll let you know if I run out of SPL for live use!

Liam
Good to know. I'm NW South Lakes so Next day DPD delivery - zero hassle - ultra-responsive contact (Sukh) what's not to like? It's G66 but without the customs pain. Win.

@gitfruit - :D but hey, at least we have an option ! :)

Good to know. I'm NW South Lakes so Next day DPD delivery - zero hassle - ultra-responsive contact (Sukh) what's not to like? It's G66 but without the customs pain. Win.

@gitfruit - :D but hey, at least we have an option ! :)
So, with apologies for the delay, and already responded to another thread on this, but thank you @sb-SG, they arrived today, and these are really impressive speakers!

All the advantages of FRFR over physical combos/cabs, in that I can walk around the room (within reason) and the tone/frequency response doesn't change too much. Pretty sure they flap trouser legs sufficiently, and I still have plenty of clean headroom left. In character, almost as good as the "true" (but flawed through reliability, practicality, etc.) FRFR solutions I have at hand, but probably better than any of them at driving mid-frequencies that suit the electric guitar.

Blisteringly loud (but that's how it should be, I'm sure many on this forum have no idea what a Fender Twin at half volume, or a dimed Vox AC30 does to the human body, or the neighbourhood for that matter), so all testing carried out way up in Fletcher/Munson equivalence curves. These little speakers not only have power, but I'm pretty comfortable about keeping them on the floor, and flat mounted, I can hear them at an angle as much as directly pointing them at me. All good signs.

As I responded in another thread, they are definitely an "electric guitar" FRFR solution. I might use them for acoustic guitar at some point, but FOH speakers, or my Fearless F115, will probably do a better job. Italics very much on purpose, as I haven't tried to tweak anything in EQ yet, they may well have abilities I haven't found yet. Both of the other solutions are not without their own limitations (after all, one of them was designed as a bass guitar cabinet!)

Thanks for the timely and useful original post @sb-SG. Got a pair, like them, think this might actually be "me" for a bit. They sound great, haven't removed any plaster with them yet, but agree they are probably capable. The mid-range punch, coupled with pick attack, is just awesome. We can all get very esoteric about realistic FRFR or "AITR" tones, but the reality for me is more often being able to hear myself alongside the drummer, and feeling like I have a good, maybe even decent guitar sound. If I can get as far as expressing myself, without disappearing into the mix, or pissing off a bandmate by being too loud or piercing (..man! Name that advert!), then I've found my happy place.

I think this might be that happy place. I thought that about the Fearless F115 and Matrix, but the speaker was hampered by blowing mid-drivers at volume, and still not being particularly audible to bandmates when we are cranking it out at volume. This feels like it might just be the solution, it sounds absolutely great in the room.

Liam

Last edited:
So, with apologies for the delay, and already responded to another thread on this, but thank you @sb-SG, they arrived today, and these are really impressive speakers!

All the advantages of FRFR over physical combos/cabs, in that I can walk around the room (within reason) and the tone/frequency response doesn't change too much. Pretty sure they flap trouser legs sufficiently, and I still have plenty of clean headroom left. In character, almost as good as the "true" (but flawed through reliability, practicality, etc.) FRFR solutions I have at hand, but probably better than any of them at driving mid-frequencies that suit the electric guitar.

Blisteringly loud (but that's how it should be, I'm sure many on this forum have no idea what a Fender Twin at half volume, or a dimed Vox AC30 does to the human body, or the neighbourhood for that matter), so all testing carried out way up in Fletcher/Munson equivalence curves. These little speakers not only have power, but I'm pretty comfortable about keeping them on the floor, and flat mounted, I can hear them at an angle as much as directly pointing them at me. All good signs.

As I responded in another thread, they are definitely an "electric guitar" FRFR solution. I might use them for acoustic guitar at some point, but FOH speakers, or my Fearless F115, will probably do a better job. Italics very much on purpose, as I haven't tried to tweak anything in EQ yet, they may well have abilities I haven't found yet. Both of the other solutions are not without their own limitations (after all, one of them was designed as a bass guitar cabinet!)

Thanks for the timely and useful original post @sb-SG. Got a pair, like them, think this might actually be "me" for a bit. They sound great, haven't removed any plaster with them yet, but agree they are probably capable. The mid-range punch, coupled with pick attack, is just awesome. We can all get very esoteric about realistic FRFR or "AITR" tones, but the reality for me is more often being able to hear myself alongside the drummer, and feeling like I have a good, maybe even decent guitar sound. If I can get as far as expressing myself, without disappearing into the mix, or pissing off a bandmate by being too loud or piercing (..man! Name that advert!), then I've found my happy place.

I think this might be that happy place. I thought that about the Fearless F115 and Matrix, but the speaker was hampered by blowing mid-drivers at volume, and still not being particularly audible to bandmates when we are cranking it out at volume. This feels like it might just be the solution, it sounds absolutely great in the room.

Liam
Excellent news!!

Liam
Brilliant. Really pleased to hear this.
And yes it's that "mid-range punch, coupled with pick attack" that I immediately got from these versus very decent studio monitors (AX7's).
I'm still delighted with mine and it just feels like I am on really solid ground throughout - including support. Just need to watch out for excessive SPLs and wiping out my hearing!!!
Enjoy. 👍

Back
Top Bottom