Mexican Fender Standard Telecaster - opinions?

pharmd07

Experienced
I was thinking about picking up a Fender Standard Telecaster, the one made in Mexico (not the Squier ones).

I've always wanted a Tele. Anyone have any opinions on these guitars?

I realize they're not quite as nice as the American version. Chances are I'll upgrade the hardware and electronics over time. For $500, they seem like a good deal.

Hi Pharmd,

I picked up one a year or so ago... I took it home, played it for a while and was trying to tell myself it was ok... Truth is, I wasn't convinced and I took it back the next day, swapping it for an American Telly - More money sure.. but it plays it'self, and the sound... oh that sound!

My advice is to somehow justify the extra money, and just get the American Telly - Thank me later :)

Pauly

I have a 2014 Standard Tele and I'm very happy with it. For the price I paid, it scratches the itch I occasionally get for single coil twangy stuff. Definitely needed a setup out of the box. Eventually I'll change out the pickups, as the stock ones are ceramic, which is not very "Tele" if you ask me.

Oh - also... there's one fret less in the Mex neck - Never know when you'll need that fret!

Hi Pharmd,

I picked up one a year or so ago... I took it home, played it for a while and was trying to tell myself it was ok... Truth is, I wasn't convinced and I took it back the next day, swapping it for an American Telly - More money sure.. but it plays it'self, and the sound... oh that sound!

My advice is to somehow justify the extra money, and just get the American Telly - Thank me later :)

Pauly

The mim muddy waters teles are the best. I hate teles, but I loved that particular Tele. Was excellent for slide.

So I tried both the Mexican and American Standard Telecaster today. I think they both sounded good, but I hated the feel of the neck on both models. I'm used to tung oiled necks. Maybe one day I can build a Telecaster with the kind of neck I like. Something else to add to my to do list.

So I tried both the Mexican and American Standard Telecaster today. I think they both sounded good, but I hated the feel of the neck on both models. I'm used to tung oiled necks. Maybe one day I can build a Telecaster with the kind of neck I like. Something else to add to my to do list.
Teles are about as easy to make as guitar building gets, especially considering the availability of parts, not only hardware but necks and bodies. Why not source out that stuff yourself and try building one? You'll easily get into the American Standard price range, but you'll walk away with exactly what you want and probably a superior quality instrument to boot.

Teles are about as easy to make as guitar building gets, especially considering the availability of parts, not only hardware but necks and bodies. Why not source out that stuff yourself and try building one? You'll easily get into the American Standard price range, but you'll walk away with exactly what you want and probably a superior quality instrument to boot.

Yeah, I think that's the way I'll go. I checked out Warmouth's website, and I was able to spec out what I wanted for a price that's actually a bit less than an American Standard. And I get the color, pickups, neck shape and finish that I want. Not a bad deal!

Yeah, I think that's the way I'll go. I checked out Warmouth's website, and I was able to spec out what I wanted for a price that's actually a bit less than an American Standard. And I get the color, pickups, neck shape and finish that I want. Not a bad deal!
If you end up going through Warmoth for at least the body, do yourself a favor and get it with a 2Tek bridge. Might not be "authentic" to the Tele style, but it's arguably the best fixed bridge on the market and a pain in the ass to retrofit.

If you end up going through Warmoth for at least the body, do yourself a favor and get it with a 2Tek bridge. Might not be "authentic" to the Tele style, but it's arguably the best fixed bridge on the market and a pain in the ass to retrofit.

I just checked out the 2tek bridge. Looks interesting, and worth the extra money. I appreciate the tip!

I have been looking at a Tele project, ESP has the LTD TE202 for $349 with some really good reviews. It doesn't have a maple fretboard and is setup with a humbucker in the neck position which for me will work for a kind of Andy Summers knock off, just add a preamp and phase switch and call it done.

I just checked out the 2tek bridge. Looks interesting, and worth the extra money. I appreciate the tip!
I have one on my thorn and LOVE it! Best clarity and note separation I've ever heard. Rounded edges make it nearly as comfy as the Hannes. Familiar strat style saddle adjustments... installed by quality builders (like Warmoth) it's the best bridge out there IMO.

My dad has had a Mexican Tele since the late 90s and it still plays and sounds great.
Here's a clip of something I've recorded with that Tele (and the axe of course);

Our keyboard player has a 3 year old Mexican Tele and it is flawless - looks and tone wise. I don't know if he had to set it up.

My dad has had a Mexican Tele since the late 90s and it still plays and sounds great.
Here's a clip of something I've recorded with that Tele (and the axe of course);

That clip sounds nice!

And just like my experience with the Mexican Standard, it sounded nice too. And looked great. I just didn't like the neck shape, and the finish was too glossy on the neck. I prefer satin and tung oil finishes. My skin tends to stick to glossy finishes, which makes it harder for me to play, especially when the glossy finish is on the fretboard too, as it was on all the Teles I tried. All 3 teles had maple fretboards with glossy finishes, which really made it hard for me to bend notes because my fingertips would stick to the finish.

I tried 2 Mexican Standard Telecasters and 1 American Standard Telecaster.

I also didn't think there was a massive difference between the Mexican and American Models. The Mexican ones seemed to have higher output pickups, and the American was a little sweeter sounding with lower output. I really liked the tones of all the guitars I tried.

So it wasn't that it was a bad guitar. Rather it was just incompatible with me. Just like there are some amps in the AxeFx that are great and work for many people, but just don't work out for me, my playing style, and the sound that I want to hear in my head. For example, the AFD amps sound great when I hear others play them, and I love Slash and his tone, but when I play through the AFD models, I sound like total crap no matter what IR I use. I know the model is a good model of a good amp, and I don't blame the model or the AxeFx. It's all my fault, but I don't sweat it since there are hundreds of other amps to use and I have my favorites (Splawns mainly, and Blankenship Leeds).

Back
Top Bottom