Wish Metronome Block

finleysound

Inspired
Instead of having the Metronome in the controller area, add a Metronome block to allow:

1) metronome assignable to ANY output
2) persistent metronome volume (instead of defaulting to OFF after power down)
3) ability to turn metronome on/off per preset/scene

A little background. Currently, I use Output 1 to send my guitar signal post-CAB block to our IEMs, FOH, or I can dial in my tone using the headphone jack. Output 2 sends a click from the Metronome controller to our drummer's IEMs. Output 3 is used for an external looper and Output 4 sends my guitar signal pre-CAB block to a Matrix power amp and 2x12 cabinet. This totally works fine (as long as I remember to turn the metronome on), BUT I would prefer to use Output 2 as my pre-CAB block output because of the added flexibility of having both XLR and 1/4" jacks.

Instead of having the Metronome in the controller area, add a Metronome block to allow:

+1 to all those wishes, except for making the Metronome become a block. I'd rather not have to place a block to use it.

Good point. As a non-programmer type, I thought it might be easier to implement as a block. Maybe?
I don’t have enough information to answer that. As a user, I think it would be easier to use if it isn’t a block.

It would be extra work for the user to insert a metronome block on his preses and assign it to an output every time that he needs to use it.

Last edited:

A little background. Currently, I use Output 1 to send my guitar signal post-CAB block to our IEMs, FOH, or I can dial in my tone using the headphone jack. Output 2 sends a click from the Metronome controller to our drummer's IEMs. Output 3 is used for an external looper and Output 4 sends my guitar signal pre-CAB block to a Matrix power amp and 2x12 cabinet. This totally works fine (as long as I remember to turn the metronome on), BUT I would prefer to use Output 2 as my pre-CAB block output because of the added flexibility of having both XLR and 1/4" jacks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just throwing in a couple thoughts - I like the idea
What about the option of a visual (light blinking) output as well, or in lieu of audio output? So I can assign assign the light to a foot switch and watch the beat.

Reasoning - I like the metronome idea, but I don't want to hear it when I'm playing on stage. Think of it like an "assigned" tempo tap. (OK, then maybe technically it wouldn't be a tap)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What about the option of a visual (light blinking) output as well, or in lieu of audio output? So I can assign assign the light to a foot switch and watch the beat.

Reasoning - I like the metronome idea, but I don't want to hear it when I'm playing on stage. Think of it like an "assigned" tempo tap. (OK, then maybe technically it wouldn't be a tap)

You can assign a footswitch on a FC to blink with the tempo. Not sure how your idea is different, other than using a non-Fractal pedal?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very good idea, could be implemented in FracPad

Oh...the Axe would output some sort of tempo control signal via an audio output? Maybe it should be control voltage so you could interface with analog synths and eurorack modules!!

You can assign a footswitch on a FC to blink with the tempo. Not sure how your idea is different, other than using a non-Fractal pedal?

The difference is this......I don't want to guess at a tempo. If I have to tap then I'm guessing. I want to set it to a value like 90 bpm, and then have the foot switch blink at this tempo. I don't have a drummer, and I can't send a MIDI tempo to the Axe. So since this is a metronome related request, I'm thinking this would be of value.

Maybe you can do this already but I doubt it. I haven't done anything with the metronome thus far.

The difference is this......I don't want to guess at a tempo. If I have to tap then I'm guessing. I want to set it to a value like 90 bpm, and then have the foot switch blink at this tempo. I don't have a drummer, and I can't send a MIDI tempo to the Axe. So since this is a metronome related request, I'm thinking this would be of value.

No guessing. You can assign an exact tempo per preset. Just hit the Tempo button on the front panel and dial it in!

This would help me a lot with using the looper at rehearsals for writing with the band. If I could just use one of the switches on my FC6 to turn metronome volume on/off, I could quickly and accurately create quantized loops and get them right the first time, every time.

Also I can think of a ton of other useful applications for a metronome block as described here. Here’s hoping the Fractal Dieties answer our prayers. Going to sacrifice a bull now...

This would help me a lot with using the looper at rehearsals for writing with the band. If I could just use one of the switches on my FC6 to turn metronome volume on/off, I could quickly and accurately create quantized loops and get them right the first time, every time.

YES! Great idea.

Indeed, the metronome should be switchable with the FC. Making it a separate block has its pros, but for me controlling via FC would be the most important. It's just too uncomfortable to use it now as a metronome. For me, at least.

Back
Top Bottom