Wish Metronome Block

I may have found a bug when using the Synth Block and LFO to generate the click IF using two tempos in a preset.

Details here....

If you have two tempos in a preset, selected by scene changes, the LFO will not follow the second tempo or will inconsistently change to the second tempo. The metronome does follow the second tempo as expected. LFO’s rate is set to a 1/4 note.

I noticed this behavior on Firmware 5.06 and it has persisted in 5.07.

Preset attached.

Background:

Until my wish for a Metronome Block is granted, I’m using the Synth Block with a modifier linked to its volume parameter controlled by a LFO to generate a metronome click assigned to output 4. Works great, except for songs using two tempos.

In the attached preset, scenes 1 and 2 are 109 bpm and scenes 3, 4 and 5 are 120 bpm.

Note: Preset name is the name of a song, not a commentary on this situation!

So this totally works...but it is a little clunky to implement because you cannot globally link the Synth block or LFO. I still need to test it out with my drummer, but I suspect only the white noise or pink noise settings will work in a real world setting. I fear the "click," if set to a specific frequency (or three ), may get masked by other instruments on a song by song basis.

Well, my drummer hated all the sounds I dialed in using the Synth Block. He missed the standard metronome sound pounding in this ears. I also found it distracting having the tempo LED not in sync with the LFO “click.”

So...I’m back to hoping my wish gets implemented someday.

Sounds like a clever trick. But I agree, it would be great to have an improved metronome.
It's such an important part of my daily practice, it would be great to get rid of the external metronome I'm using now.

All you'd need is to have a metronome section in the controllers block with modifiers. Adding a block is overkill.

Incorrect. Part of my original wish was to be able to assign the metronome to ANY output.

Modifier access would help fulfill some of my wish, however, I find modifiers to be a bit clunky to set up and manage.

Respectfully, I would rather have a block OR, at least, more assignable output options.

Instead of having the Metronome in the controller area, add a Metronome block to allow:

1) metronome assignable to ANY output
2) persistent metronome volume (instead of defaulting to OFF after power down)
3) ability to turn metronome on/off per preset/scene

A little background. Currently, I use Output 1 to send my guitar signal post-CAB block to our IEMs, FOH, or I can dial in my tone using the headphone jack. Output 2 sends a click from the Metronome controller to our drummer's IEMs. Output 3 is used for an external looper and Output 4 sends my guitar signal pre-CAB block to a Matrix power amp and 2x12 cabinet. This totally works fine (as long as I remember to turn the metronome on), BUT I would prefer to use Output 2 as my pre-CAB block output because of the added flexibility of having both XLR and 1/4" jacks.

+1 to those wishes, except turning the metronome into a block if it don't have to be.

+1 for modifiers attachable to metronome controls. +1 for adding output 3 and output 4 to available metronome outputs. +1 for ability to set pulses at subdivisions of tempo. +1 for world peace.

I just thought of another benefit of a Metronome block: each of 4 channels could be set to a different BPM, so it would be possible to accomodate songs with multiple tempos. I have one song that bops between 86, 99, and 49.5 BPM, which would still require BPM to be able to support decimal or at least 1/2 BPM increments, but it could probably get by with 86, 100, and 50.

Perhaps this could be bundled with the other tempo-related wish, for a "tempo increment switch" in the Utility switches section?

I just thought of another benefit of a Metronome block: each of 4 channels could be set to a different BPM, so it would be possible to accomodate songs with multiple tempos. I have one song that bops between 86, 99, and 49.5 BPM, which would still require BPM to be able to support decimal or at least 1/2 BPM increments, but it could probably get by with 86, 100, and 50.

Perhaps this could be bundled with the other tempo-related wish, for a "tempo increment switch" in the Utility switches section?
Sounds like a case for per-scene Tempo. :)

Back
Top Bottom