Meteor Shower (THE Meteor Shower!!!)

guitarded

Experienced
[from a website]

The spectacular Geminid Meteor shower hits peak activity this weekend.
Though competing with some unfortunate moonlight, the shower still should make for a must-see astronomical event.

While moonlight will somewhat hinder this year's Geminid meteor shower, intrepid observers with good weather
and low light pollution should still be able to catch a good meteor show Saturday (Dec. 13) night.

"If you have not seen a mighty Geminid fireball arcing gracefully across an expanse of sky, then you have not seen a meteor,"
note astronomers David Levy and Stephen Edberg. [Amazing Geminid Meteor Shower Photos of 2013]

2014 Geminid Meteor Shower Sky Map
Pin It This sky map shows where to look for Geminid meteors in December 2014.
Credit: Sky & Telescope/Gregg DindermannView full size image
Even if you can't see the meteor display from your part of the world, you can watch them online.
The online Slooh Community Observatory will host a live webacst of the Geminid meteor display
on Saturday night beginning at 8 p.m. EST (0100 Dec. 14 GMT).You can also watch the Slooh webcast directly:
Live Telescope & Astronomy Shows of Stars & the Cosmos ? Slooh.
NASA meteor expert Bill Cooke will also host a live Geminids webchat on Saturday night from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.
EST (0400 to 0800 GMT), as well as a live webcast.

You can watch the webcasts of the Geminid shower live on Space.com, starting at 8 p.m. EST, courtesy of Slooh and NASA.
The Italy-based Virtual Telescope Project will also host a Geminds webcast, beginning at 9 p.m. EST (0200 GMT).

Wish I could've seen it. It was perfect weather for outdoor viewing—midnight in the middle of December, but nearly 50° outside—but it was overcast and raining. I've only seen one really good meteor shower. They reward a little patience with a great show. Oh well...next time...

Last edited:
It was Super!
Pretty mild winter in the south so far.
We took some blankets, threw a few office chairs in the back of the truck (nice and comfy...) stopped off for some hot chocolate, then headed to a cool location I visit for this kind of thing!
Saw a few good fire balls and lots of regular ones!
We stayed out till about 2 AM.
Saw about 100 total!

A little chilly out here where I live mid 30's or so, I didn't last to long about 11:30. We saw roughly 20 or so one really good fireball. We get dark up here around 4:30ish and the skies are unpolluted with light and there was no cloud cover. Full milkyway from horizon to horizon. Most of the viewing activity was out of the North East.

Back
Top Bottom