Meteor Shower Oct. 20/21

guitarded

Experienced
The Orionid meteor shower is next, and this is an excellent year for this shower, because there will be only a slim crescent moon in the sky during the shower’s peak hours. These meteors stem from the most famous of all comets, Comet Halley. They’ll become visible in their greatest numbers on the night of October 20-21, and especially in the dark hours before dawn on October 21. At the peak, from a dark site, you might expect to see about 25 meteors per hour.

Your welcome.
These are great opportunities for families to spend together. Grab a few blankets, lawn chairs and a thermos of hot chocolate!
hard to beat... If you can catch the right weather :O

Here is the remainder of this years schedule of the better showers.

October 21, 2014 Orionids

November 4-5, 2014 South Taurids

November 11-12, 2014 North Taurids

November 17-18, 2014 Leonids

December 13-14, 2014 Geminids

The two Taurids are fairly minor showers I think. so may not be the ones to catch...
I also understand the Leonids may be on an "off year" as the whole thing hinges on the debris fields from the comets previous passes. Err something like that??
I am not even an amateur astronomer... I just love catching the meteor showers.

but it looks like the show to catch will be the Geminids!

Here are some info from an online guide to help...

The Leonids are best known for producing great meteor storms in the years of 1833, 1866, 1966, and 2001. These outbursts of meteor activity are best seen when the parent object, comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle, is near perihelion (closest approach to the sun). Yet it is not the fresh material we see from the comet, but rather debris from earlier returns that also happen to be most dense at the same time. Unfortunately it appears that the earth will not encounter any dense clouds of debris until 2099. Therefore when the comet returns in 2031 and 2064, there will be no meteor storms, but perhaps several good displays of Leonid activity when rates are in excess of 100 per hour. The best we can hope for now until the year 2030 is peaks of around 15 shower members per hour and perhaps an occasional weak outburst when the earth passes near a debris trail. The Leonids are often bright meteors with a high percentage of persistent trains

The Geminids are usually the strongest meteor shower of the year and meteor enthusiasts are certain to circle December 13 and 14 on their calendars. This is the one major shower that provides good activity prior to midnight as the constellation of Gemini is well placed from 10pm onward. The Geminids are often bright and intensely colored. Due to their medium-slow velocity, persistent trains are not usually seen. These meteors are also seen in the southern hemisphere, but only during the middle of the night and at a reduced rate.

Back
Top Bottom