Metallica's Master Of Puppets album - Tone Match test

Here's my first serious attempt at Tone Matching. I'm playing a riff from Orion, first you hear the original recording, then my Tone Match version.
I've triple-tracked guitars, just like on the original recording.

My chain is OD 808 - Mesa Mark IIC+ Bright with fat, bright and boost switches engaged - Tone Match. No cab block!

I think the result is good, the core sound is basically the same but a lot of "amp in the room" is missing.
My thought is that Tone Match is a cool feature (even if you have to work with it before actually referencing and matching) but it just captures the fundamental frequencies of the tone, not the tone character. Still very cool though, hope you like it! :)

i did some work with MASTER OF PUPPETS last night and today- i didn't think i did a great job getting a like sounding amp before hand-

I got a similar sounding result BUT on its own the master of puppets guitar is pretty agressive and odd sounding on its own anyway-

It's not that the axe didn't do a great job- its on its own the guitar is very out of place in tone on Master-

Still more work to do with it though....

I have a Mesa Quad Preamp which was used on MASTER- I bet with enough work I could dial it in perfect w/the effects loop and add tonematch and it would be flawless

Back
Top Bottom