Metallica's Kill 'Em All tone???

Megahertzz

Inspired
Has anyone had any luck recreating Metallica's Kill 'Em All tone? I know they used a modded Marshall 1959SLP and a Pro Co RAT both for James' and Kirk's parts, but it's impossible to recreate their sound just based on that information. I haven't really had any luck with the other classic Marshall models either. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I tried comparing to both, but what I want is the feel of the album for live playing. I know James used the same amp live until it was stolen, so something similar to their live sound in the early 80's would be satisfactory.

I get pretty good results using the atomica high model. Instead of putting a drive up front I bring the input trim up to about 1.50ish. But what really completes it is using a T75 cab. I use the bogner T74 from ML. Back then I believe they were just using stock marshall cabs which most likely had T75's in them, and from the sound I get it seems to match pretty good. With the lack of quality recordings from that era it's hard to get it bang on, but I get pretty close with that setup/

Back
Top Bottom