Metallica using Axe Fx's on stage!

No. Tones were really bad. I'm sure they are all fixed up now and I'll download the new show.

It's so amusing how some people think their personal opinions and views trump the rest.

Back on topic., We already know they (Metallica) bought some 20 Axe FX II's as Cliff announced it right after it happened. I'm curious to know a few things;
which firmware they are using?
if the reason Hammett decided to keep using the Dunlop Rack Wah was only because of being used to it, or because they couldn't dial in the Axe FX II to respond the same?
Are they still using some Pedals in the FX loop or have they modeled all the effects within the Axe FX II?

BIGGEST QUESTION OF ALL

Maybe M@ can very politely ask whomever is dialing in for them to share a preset, like Hetfields ONE preset. :eagerness:

As much as it'd be interesting to see their preset(s) we all (should) know that the preset only really makes sense in the context of the guitar, guitarist and amplification/volume used.

Their new song was pretty killler. Can't wait to hear a better recording....

It's so amusing how some people think their personal opinions and views trump the rest.

Back on topic., We already know they (Metallica) bought some 20 Axe FX II's as Cliff announced it right after it happened. I'm curious to know a few things;
if the reason Hammett decided to keep using the Dunlop Rack Wah was only because of being used to it, or because they couldn't dial in the Axe FX II to respond the same?
Are they still using some Pedals in the FX loop or have they modeled all the effects within the Axe FX II?

BIGGEST QUESTION OF ALL

Maybe M@ can very politely ask whomever is dialing in for them to share a preset, like Hetfields ONE preset. :eagerness:

It has been stated a couple of times by FAS that Metallica are using the axe fx's exclusively for their tones (with the exception of kirk's wah).
I'm pretty sure you can get really close to his wah sound with the axe fx but if he likes to keep his wah system I'm sure no one in the crew would object.
He is a big wah fan after all!
I also read that they are using fw13.07 for now.
The techs will probably be upgrading firmwares as they go along.
You only need to update patches on one unit before uploading the presets to the rest of the units, great system.
I don't think they use a lot of different patches, maybe a few per guitarist.
I bet the techs use scenes often for more seemless switching.
Anyway just speculating.
I made a pretty cool patch to re-create James's current live tone in the preset section.
I think it comes really close.
Jammed on that preset for quite some time today, nice n crunchy!

Hey

I think Hammet like more original cry baby pedal feel ,I don't think sound quality is a problem. Mission pedals are pretty close to ,original cry baby. And he also use more than one pedal in stage ,if I remember right it was 3-4 pedals. That cry baby rack will give that option ,run more than one pedal whit live situation.

BIGGEST QUESTION OF ALL

Last edited:
Sounds a whole better than the "garage demo" version, performance-wise.

Hey

Maybe Trujillo was using Jason Newsted bass tone match ,for album And Justice For All. And whit that album bass tone ,issue was not only for bass volume. It was also that Newsted bass tone was have almost indentical eq curve ,like those guitars was have in that record.

Yet another Metallica recording with no bass guitar. WTF?

Last edited:

That rack wah allows for multiple pedals at different stage positions.

Kirk has to chain many AFX units together in their FX loops because he exceeded the wah limit by the opening song. MFC channel 6-11 are all wah. Lolz.

Sent from Windows Phone Tapatalk

Haven't really listened to Metallica in years but it is cool they have started using FAS. I noticed someone mentioned Kirk using a Dunlop rack wah now (which is killer btw, I had a loaner one from a friend for a while). Is Kirk not using his EMB Audio Remote Wah anymore? I know he had 2 units he use to tour with and they had the ability to have 5-6 expression pedals on stage at once.

I'd be interested in knowing if they created all of their presets from scratch or did a mix of presets and tone matches. Like Sabbath, Metallica's tone changed pretty significantly from album to album, so coming up with individual presets that nail everything from Kill 'Em All onward would be a LOT of work I'd think.

Haven't really listened to Metallica in years but it is cool they have started using FAS. I noticed someone mentioned Kirk using a Dunlop rack wah now (which is killer btw, I had a loaner one from a friend for a while). Is Kirk not using his EMB Audio Remote Wah anymore? I know he had 2 units he use to tour with and they had the ability to have 5-6 expression pedals on stage at once.

He hasn't used the EMB wah in quite a long time, I think sometime around 97ish is when he stopped

Back
Top Bottom