Metallica uses Axe Fx

No, not at all. There are plenty that still do it for the sake of creativity, expression, and letting the world hear their soul's story.

Doing it for money nowadays, outside of the money making genres, well good luck with that lol

Totally. Great points. I didn't mean to dismiss those more essential reasons. Just that
getting paid for the actual music is pretty much null and void these days. Almost more
like music being a promotional tool, rather than the actual product itself.

I know for me, that making observations is not the same as slagging on someone. It's also
(I hope) several continents away from anything resembling hate. Maybe I make a meal, or
eat a meal someone else has made and observe that "it is a little salty for my tastes." That
doesn't also imply that I am slagging the entire meal, or ripping on the cook\ or chef who
made it. It may be delicious and also nutritious, while being a touch heavy on the soy. :)

Sure there is contempt in our world. I also wonder if there is a kind of overreach that assumes
someone thinking that there is too much Wah in the special sauce means that everything
associated before or after that special sauce is being tossed out.

The unnecessarry conflation of people sharing their opinions and observations on the public
careers of others (and the music they have put out) with equaling hatred and vitriol is just so
off the mark to me. I love Metallica. Put on the best live show I have seen in my entire life. It
was SO goood it scared the shit out of me. I didn't know a band could do what they were doing
on the MOP Tour.

And I still think Hammett's intonation is wonky and he overuses the Wah. ;) I also don't like the
way my teenage son replies to me so tersely. But I still love him. One does not exclude the other.
Probably the same with all those who love (or used to love) Metallica. You an love the impact they
have had on your life and still not be totally cool and on board with EVERY thing they have put
out as a band.

Rock on! 👊👊🤘🤘🤘

Fractal guys are involved in the making of their sound ? Really ?
Concerning the lessons, it’s in “kill em all” era not master .
Yes “load”sound big . Some songs are cool, some like “Ronnie” or “hero of the day” are … 😅😔. It happens .

Go to a show.

They ALWAYS sound better in the audience than a sound board recording or a mix from the board for a TV show. Those cellphone videos of the club show last week sounded 100X better than the Jimmy Kimmel performances.

Load and Reload are often highly underappreciated. There's some really great songs on those albums and the production is typical Bob Rock mastery. Many people just don't like change and want to have Master of Puppets part II, III, IV, V, etc. Hell, back in the 80's there were people calling them sell outs because of Fade to Black. You'll never please everyone. At some point you have to just say to hell with it and do what you want. How many other metal bands can still pack stadiums after 40 years?
I still go back to Load often, it’s so good.

Yes “load”sound big . Some songs are cool, some like “Ronnie” or “hero of the day” are … 😅😔. It happens .
Ronnie is in my top 20 fav Metallica songs. I love playing that riff. 🤷‍♂️

When I hear somebody calling Metallica "sell outs" I can't help but picture them as some 50+ year old burnout who goes to places like the grocery store on Tuesdays wearing no shirt under a studded leather jacket and having hair down to their knees, hasn't showered in weeks, and basically never matured past being a teenager.

If you really want to "sell out" in the traditional sense, you typically either move to full-on country or full-on electronic pop. That's how it's done. Metallica going from "one kind of metal" to "a slightly different kind of metal" is not "selling out." People think they sold out because they got popular, but that's a false equivalency. They got popular because their music was great and happened to appeal to a ton of people.

I do think Metallica's guitar tone was a whole lot better before they moved to Diezels and Randalls though. :D

Still though, I might not always love everything Metallica does but everything from Load and back, actually from Garage Inc and back to be honest, will always be pretty incredible to me. One of the all time great bands and as far as I'm concerned they can have all the fun they like doing whatever they want from here on out.

Last edited:
When I hear somebody calling Metallica "sell outs" I can't help but picture them as some 50+ year old burnout who goes to places like the grocery store on Tuesdays wearing no shirt under a studded leather jacket and having hair down to their knees, hasn't showered in weeks, and basically never matured past being a teenager.
Pretty sure that guy has a modestly popular YouTube gear "review" channel. ;)

Load and Reload are often highly underappreciated. There's some really great songs on those albums and the production is typical Bob Rock mastery. Many people just don't like change and want to have Master of Puppets part II, III, IV, V, etc. Hell, back in the 80's there were people calling them sell outs because of Fade to Black. You'll never please everyone. At some point you have to just say to hell with it and do what you want. How many other metal bands can still pack stadiums after 40 years?

I wonder how many of those who go see them go just to see/hear tracks off of the
first 4 albums, though. :)

I see they are doing a surprise club show at The Metro in Chicago tonight. That so won't suck!

I'm not sure what context you're talking about as far as "making of their sound", but Fractal did help them dial in their AxeFXs.

What's the most dreaded words a fan hears at a live show? "This is a song off our new album."

Metallica in a club! How cool would that be?!
I was disappointed to not hear spit out the bone on their last tour honestly. Moth Into Flame ripped live though.

First time I saw them live was in 2000 and I had to hear Mastertarium instead of Master of Puppets and Sanitarium :|

Back
Top Bottom