Metallica uses Axe Fx

Said this before and I’ll say it again: you know why their early stuff wowed you (and a lot of other things from those days)?

You were young. Everything was magical.

this is a very difficult lesson for those living in the past and the everything was better back when crowd.

that stuff wasn’t any better.
YOU were better.

I agree and disagree . Yes the music you listen to being a child marks you more , but I don’t see any new use your illusion master of puppets and whatever in 2021 .

I agree and disagree . Yes the music you listen to being a child marks you more , but I don’t see any new use your illusion master of puppets and whatever in 2021 .
Same reason a JCM800 is triple the price of a DSL.

Plug into one, let’s hear a decent lead tone.

“naaah, check it out with a TS9 in front of it”

that just means the amp needs help to sound good.

folks tend to like 800s because they’re old amps and their heroes played them. I plug into an 800 and honestly just don’t get it. Without a few pedals in front of them to me they’re useless. If I had to play a gig with a modern amp like a Friedman or a Mezzabarba I can get by with just the amp if I had to.

But you can buy the 800 all day long for 4x what they sold for new 🤷🏻‍♂️

I am playing their latest album with my boogie today … disc 1 is ok but disc 2 …
Don’t know … it’s not only a period or hero story . The records were better . Concerning the gear what works with one don’t work with everyone . We all got some désillusion with artist gear, but it helps to have a part of their sound too . And make us dream 😅. This jp for example goes well with all the music I play . I bought a lot of boogies before finally own one that fit with everything

E02D3FAE-9922-4516-AD07-88E56D4E3991.jpeg

I find it highly ironic that those who have "opinions" about certain musicians
have not one time in this thread resorted to a single personal insult or called anyone
any derogatory names. Not one time.

Meanwhile, the seeming defenders who want no one to share their personal opinions and
musical preferences have called others "idiotic," "dipshits" and "blowhards."

Sharing a personal opinion is NOT an attack, nor does it make one bitter or lacking
in knowledge and experience. It is just the sharing of a preference. We all have them.
All of us.

Said this before and I’ll say it again: you know why their early stuff wowed you (and a lot of other things from those days)?

You were young. Everything was magical.

this is a very difficult lesson for those living in the past and the everything was better back when crowd.

that stuff wasn’t any better.
YOU were better.

If that logic is solid then it should apply to everyone, including Metallica, no?? :)

I am playing their latest album with my boogie today … disc 1 is ok but disc 2 …
Don’t know … it’s not only a period or hero story . The records were better . Concerning the gear what works with one don’t work with everyone . We all got some désillusion with artist gear, but it helps to have a part of their sound too . And make us dream 😅. This jp for example goes well with all the music I play . I bought a lot of boogies before finally own one that fit with everything

View attachment 88771

Gorgeous amp!

I personally believe that he was fighting the inevitable. Akin to Blockbuster fighting streaming services.

The decline of music sales is really just a culmination of:

-Ease of sharing. The internet opened the whole world up to bootlegging with each other. Before the internet, you'd have communities sharing cassettes, and later burnt cd's. You can argue the ethics of that, but you can't argue that it's ever going to end.

-Tonaly pleasing music scales of the western world. There's but a few scales and chord progressions available that we can play with before sounding too similar to someone else. If you veer to far out of this, you enter jazz territory, which never sold anyways lol

-The ease of DIY recording, with the added ease of sampled and programmed drums. Now with the constraints of originality due to only so few notes, the market is flooding more and more with each passing moment. Evvvverryyyone is making and promoting their music, most of which sounding similar. Musicians are having to venture into to electronic elements to bring some sense of originality to their sound that hasn't been done before. I'm not saying originality equates to success, but you do need something to differentiate yourself to garner success.

When someone captures lighting in a bottle nowadays, they have to move quickly to captilize on their success before being copied ad infitium. A great example of this is Misha Mansoor/Bulb. He blew people's minds with his recording techniques, and original sound and tone. He took advantage of this and set himself up for success with charging for producing, and endorsement deals for some stuff that was sorta viewed as necessary to achieve his sound. He/they are still making great music, but that new genre is heavily heavily populated now.

Edit: I'll also add the culture aspect of it. Used to be that being a rockstar was the coolest gig on the planet. Hetfield, Dimebag Darrell, Axel Rose, Scott Weiland, Anthony Kiedis, any of the big hair bands, David Lee Roth/Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Ozzy... the list goes on, but it ends. We currently have nothing even close to that in the rock/metal world. Cultural icons. The closest is Post Malone, but he's not even in the genres I speak of. Right now, all the success is focused in pretty much every area but rock and metal.

Cool post. Thanks. :)

Does it mean that ALL music is really just a promotional tool now used to market other
products and services that artists are tied to, and are more profitable for them?

Cool post. Thanks. :)

Does it mean that ALL music is really just a promotional tool now used to market other
products and services that artists are tied to, and are more profitable for them?

No, not at all. There are plenty that still do it for the sake of creativity, expression, and letting the world hear their soul's story.

Doing it for money nowadays, outside of the money making genres, well good luck with that lol

I find it highly ironic that those who have "opinions" about certain musicians
have not one time in this thread resorted to a single personal insult or called anyone
any derogatory names. Not one time.

Meanwhile, the seeming defenders who want no one to share their personal opinions and
musical preferences have called others "idiotic," "dipshits" and "blowhards."

Sharing a personal opinion is NOT an attack, nor does it make one bitter or lacking
in knowledge and experience. It is just the sharing of a preference. We all have them.
All of us.
Commenting +1000 because the Like button only allows +1

Interesting how little sustain James' guitar has on his riff breaks
Yes since the axe days… no more feedbacks , that’s does problems in songs like the ending of nothing else matters etc …

i am listening to the new deluxe box , the sound in the Moscow gig 🥰. When you listen to their live sound … far better than now . Their guitar were heavy, dirty , full … now …. 🤦

That’s not the axe fault , if you wantit, with the axe , you choose a recto or whatever and can have a fat sound with a lot of gain etc. That’s their tech choice I don’t know . Their sound is thin now compared to their past when you listen to the gigs in the black album era , it’s obvious

That’s not the axe fault , if you wantit, with the axe , you choose a recto or whatever and can have a fat sound with a lot of gain etc. That’s their tech choice I don’t know . Their sound is thin now compared to their past when you listen to the gigs in the black album era , it’s obvious
I agree. James' live sound was awesome. The mid scoop was so smooth and the tone was still huge. Combine that with Lars' old Tama kit...

I've got zero beefs with Metallica, only respect.

They never wanted to be the best band, the best musicians, write the most original songs, none of that; they just wanted to be the biggest metal band in the world and they did that. Just that alone is such a massive feat that anyone saying that back then or now would get an eye roll and a "Good luck, buddy."

I'm thankful for how much of themselves they've put out there. The Year And A Half Of VHS tapes had a HUGE influence on me when I was a teen, with my use of the word "fuck" AND it's what made me interested in the studio aspect of things. I watched those tapes on repeat for probably 2-3 years until I got Pantera's Watch It Go....which influenced me in a different direction. :tearsofjoy: But even Some Kind Of Monster, while it may have made some people cringe and think less of them, I think it was a ballsy move to put their personal issues right up there for all to see. That doc actually helped my former band when it came out because there was some infighting going on and it hit the reset switch for us.

From what I remember reading, Kirk was bringing in MoP songs and Satch was helping him work out what to play over the changes. Makes sense to me, since that's some of Kirk's best work. (For the record, my favorite Metallica song AND Hammett solo is "The Outlaw Torn" from ::gasp:: LOAD!)

Those guys are surrounded by nothing but yes-men and have been for years. There is no one around them that's going to say, "Hey Kirk, you're really slipping, man." aside from James/Lars themselves. Or if Bob Rock were still around. Ever since Load, James has been saying that they just want to chill out and enjoy the success. I don't think money is the main motivator, I think they truly enjoy playing live and making people happy. While it seems everyone just bitches about them, they still sell out every show they play and make millions of people happy across the world at those shows. The only actual negativity comes from the internet.

That said, in the last few years it seems Kirk has gotten a little better at playing his older stuff. I agree about his intonation and he sounds often like I do when I'm playing a guitar with 9's and not a lot of tension; I can't keep the damn thing in tune. They've gotta dial in tones that are going to work in a stadium and while they were certainly going for specific amp sounds, they still have to dial those in differently live than they would in the studio (It'd be cool to hear a rundown of how that was approached @Admin M@ , if that's possible. Not details, just a general, "Yeah, we had to add some more mids and cut back some of the gain" or whatever) and hearing those tones direct to a board, where who knows what kind of EQ/post processing is being done, we're not always hearing what Metallica would want us to hear, but the sound dude running the show of whatever appearance they're on.

Overall, I think they're main focus is just enjoying their success and touring. They stopped sweating the small stuff years ago. Everything they do now is still 110% successful, despite the internet hate. They've commented on negative internet comments and just laugh them off. They stopped trying to please the world years ago once they were on top of it.

And even still, there isn't a cooler looking silhouette of a metal frontman than Hetfield with an Explorer hanging to his knees, IMO. I haven't dug much of anything since Load (which was the first Metallica album I bought and then worked my way back....I consider myself lucky for that because I get to enjoy Load, which many others don't), but I respect the hell out of them, even if they don't do things the way I want them done. It ain't my band and they've earned that right.

Load and Reload are often highly underappreciated. There's some really great songs on those albums and the production is typical Bob Rock mastery. Many people just don't like change and want to have Master of Puppets part II, III, IV, V, etc. Hell, back in the 80's there were people calling them sell outs because of Fade to Black. You'll never please everyone. At some point you have to just say to hell with it and do what you want. How many other metal bands can still pack stadiums after 40 years?

Back
Top Bottom