Metallica uses Axe Fx

FWIW Kirk only took a few lessons from Satriani, 3 I think. So while yes he was a ”student” it’s not like he really studied under Joe like some may think.

Life-long MetallicA fan. And also FWIW Lars was one of the nicest rock stars I’ve ever met, funny and easy going.

10 bonus points for the T-Ride mention. :) That band was so far ahead of its time.

Who knew Eric Valentine would go on to become a world-class producer (which you
can kind of imagine after hearing the production on the T-Ride album). Stellar!

You may be the only other person I have seen on the Internet mention that band. :)

I still love that album! I read that Tyson was essentially hired on, and it was very much the lovechild of the other two guys. To me though, it's an instance in which the guitar playing is so incredibly good, I feel like Tyson is still a major contributor to the band, just by virtue of his impeccable playing, feel, and creativity. :) It makes me think of Vai playing with Whitesnake.

Metallica gets cr@p because they are successful and wealthy. Those two things breed contempt.

At least in my mind, there are many wealthy guitarists who are incredible players, whom I praise because they dedicate themselves to the craft of playing, and I believe them, I sense their conviction when they play, even on songs I think are terrible. Slash is an example. More to the point, James Hetfield is an example (in my mind, he and Scott Ian are the kings in their field).

I consider Joe Satriani wildly successful, because making a career in instrumental music is far more difficult than for any band with a vocalist. But I think it demeans even rock stars to consider them by virtue of charts or net worth. It blows my mind, the way Satriani blazed a trail to be able to make a living doing specifically what he does, especially when you look at how relatively obscure the entirety of something like Shrapnel Records' catalog is, despite the downright genius of some of the roster and the subsequent success of some of those players. Many people would have known Mr. Big but didn't know the unbelievable work of Paul Gilbert on the early Racer X albums. Same with David Lee Roth and my personal hero Jason Becker, who, by virtue of talent, should have more wealth and success than anyone.

FWIW Kirk only took a few lessons from Satriani, 3 I think. So while yes he was a ”student” it’s not like he really studied under Joe like some may think.

Life-long MetallicA fan. And also FWIW Lars was one of the nicest rock stars I’ve ever met, funny and easy going.

Here kirk states he took Satriani lessons for about a year, starting once a week then going to twice a week

I don't know why people feel the need to add their two cents on things they don't enjoy. Like whenever a new Fractal artist is added to the roster and you don't care for that artist, why post your armchair criticisms in a thread welcoming them? Is it some sort of ego thing? That you have to inform the world that your opinion and tastes are better and that people who enjoy something you don't like are wrong? The world is filled with bitter blowhards and the internet rewards them for their bad behavior with constant dopamine hits.

ANYWAY, back on topic...

I know Metallica used to use AX8s in the tuning room before shows (and that's also what you played through as a fan if you bought a ticket that let you play their gear), so I wonder if they will have FM9s or if they'll just use the Axe-FX III for both the tuning room and on stage?

I don't know why people feel the need to add their two cents on things they don't enjoy. Like whenever a new Fractal artist is added to the roster and you don't care for that artist, why post your armchair criticisms in a thread welcoming them? Is it some sort of ego thing? That you have to inform the world that your opinion and tastes are better and that people who enjoy something you don't like are wrong? The world is filled with bitter blowhards and the internet rewards them for their bad behavior with constant dopamine hits.

ANYWAY, back on topic...

I know Metallica used to use AX8s in the tuning room before shows (and that's also what you played through as a fan if you bought a ticket that let you play their gear), so I wonder if they will have FM9s or if they'll just use the Axe-FX III for both the tuning room and on stage?

And yet the majourity of the content of your reply is the equivalent of yelling at an old man who is yelling at clouds to stop yelling at clouds. :)

Anyone willing to hazard a guess at what amp models they may be using. Still the Mesa/Diezel combo,
with Roland JC-120 for cleans??

Disclaimer: No fan of the band will want to read what thoughts this sparked. I don’t want to fight anyone about this, but I also don’t want to hold back just because they are such business juggernauts, and this is the internet. And I don't mean any of what I say as a personal slight to any fans of Hammett; these are just one weirdo's personal thoughts.

I know it’s the case, but I’ve never heard it in Hammett's playing that he was a student of Satriani. I used to read Satriani‘a columns in Guitar for the Practicing Musician religiously. To me, no one was more respectful to the listener, more thoughtful in general, although I never understood his decision to sing haha, and I've always loved the EP Dreaming #11 best. Now, Jeff Tyson on the T-Ride album, that performance I can really hear as the work of a Satriani student. I can even hear how Satriani was the person who convinced the guys in Forbidden where to sign for their second album (a fact I only learned recently via a Locicero interview via podcast), but I feel like it’s a stain on Satriani for Hammett somehow to have been the most successful one.

I remember I felt like it was the cruelest thing when Chuck Schuldiner died; he had directly criticized Hammett’s playing as “safe,” and I had read separately that Schuldiner had always dreamt of being on the cover of Guitar World. When the next issue of Guitar World came out after his death, it had Hammett on the cover. I saw it at the bookstore, and I distinctly remember feeling this sick, sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I know intellectually it’s a fluke, but that, I guess in my own mourning, hit me very hard, like it was a cosmic statement about how much guitar playing is existentially worth.

Obviously I’m not a fan of Hammett as a player (although as a person he seems like a guy who's really nice). To me, much of his small contribution to …And Justice for All is criminally lazy, and directly weakens otherwise painfully crafted and orchestrated writing and performance. I've felt strongly about this for a long time, and honestly, I don't think either guitarist's overall sense of overall tuning is something they thought much about. Hell, they might just been stinking drunk and not realized they were handed a downtuned guitar for a demo.

I remember seeing a news story about a sense of arrested development in baseball players when I was pretty young, and I would sometimes link that to what I saw in some bands who put out particular work that I worshipped. I know these guys were all just kids, and they toured and recorded ferociously to get where they were, but still, just kids. I don't see anything slipping though the cracks of musical education as a big deal or a big surprise, and weirdly, I say that without harsh judgment haha.

I used to teach guitar when I was in high school, and for some years following, but, of course, there's always one student you always marvel at, why they show up to lessons, because they don't listen, no matter how damn hard you try. I know it's the case that Hammett was a student; I feel like he was just not a sponge for whatever it was Satriani was imparting.

Satriani was a guest on That Metal Show, and was asked whether Dave Mustaine or Kirk Hammett was a better player. I was cringing before he responded, because I knew this bit of trivia that he was a teacher to Hammett, but I still couldn't deal with his response, that Hammett is more "mature" of a player. I had the impression right then he had no idea what kind of creative force Dave Mustaine was as a player, that he had no basis of comparison. It would have been way better to say sheepishly, "I don't really listen to either band," which would have been totally fine. Satriani's main inspiration was Hendrix, and I'd understand and respect having no gut response to thrash, or to metal generally. But to speak thoughtlessly about it just felt like a weirdly defferential nod to someone I always imagined was his worst student.
I'm not a huge Hammett fan, but I would counter your view on "not hearing Satriani" in his playing by saying that a good teacher makes you a better version of you, not a clone of them.

Vai doesn't sound like Joe. Larry Lalonde from Primus definitely doesn't sound like him. Both were his students...

My former guitar teacher Doug Doppler (who took over teaching Joe's students when he no longer had time) doesn't sound like him, either... Although I can certainly hear elements in there.

I can tell from stories that Doug told me that Joe didn't suffer fools and he was a task master.

As for Mustaine... I can see why Joe said that. My impression of Dave is a lot of random flailing. But I don't like him as a person so I never listened to much Megadeth. Back in those days he was a complete asshole. Maybe he's changed but he lost me way, way back ;)

you don’t know how many lessons did he takes. being a “student” for ? 4 lessons ? A month ? More ?

FWIW Kirk only took a few lessons from Satriani, 3 I think. So while yes he was a ”student” it’s not like he really studied under Joe like some may think
See the other comments... It wasn't just a handful of times.

I didn't mean to derail this thread at all, and that's why I wrote my disclaimer at the top of my post. Apologizes to the OP! I'll wrap it up here.

To those who became angry because of my critique, I certainly don't think we need to attack each other personally because you like Hammett and I don't! If all we do is get offended that someone feels differently, how do you talk about anything? It's just a different point of view. It's doesn't make me a terrible person, and it doesn't make you a terrible person.

Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All greatly influenced and inspired me, and some of Burton's and Hetfield's writing made me look at music in new ways. Because I love some of their work so much, I feel equally passionate about the negatives.

If comments critical of Metallica aren't welcome here, that's just weird, but I'm a big boy, and I'm taking the hint. It's not my forum, or my thread even. For anyone else offended that I'm critical of Kirk Hammett, please reread my disclaimer, and please don't attack me as a person.

I find it strange that so many people feel Kirk (or anyone else) "owes" them something because they are in a big band and a "professional". The implication is that if something is your job, you should be the best at it. Id ask a simple question: Are you the best at your job? Slaving away to your craft in endless pursuit of perfection, into your golden years?

It really comes off as idiotic 🤷‍♂️ If the playing is so off-putting to you, that you find it an insult, I think you need to look inward for the solution. Its a f'in band, playing music, for FUN, ffs.

That said, theyre axe rig sure does sound fantastic! Hard to beat their live tones.

you don’t know how many lessons did he takes. being a “student” for ? 4 lessons ? A month ? More ? We don’t know … in guitar lessons you can Have questions and other things other than just “skills”. Playing justice solos … that’s not easy . They are well built globally .
chuck lead are ugly to me, they are not fluid at all . He is more a rythm guitar player to me .

kill em all got physical solos , like hit the light . He played fast in that era .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gu...tallicas-kirk-hammett-he-was-very-eager-learn
From Kill Em All up to, at least, AJFA. At the absolute shortest time possible, that’s 5 years of lessons with Satriani. People like to downplay Kirk’s contributions since the recent releases have had less inspired lead work on them, but just ask yourself why AJFA is the template for so many bands, compositionally anyway, and remember Kirk‘s contribution is a part of that.

Maybe not Metallica yet , but Kiko loureiro from Megadeth is not playing with fractal anymore but quad cortex 🤦, that’s the 4th big band that I know that switch with this product . Then … we are all the same we like to change … every product can sound good when you are a good player . Still never tried a qc and probably never will, as the demos are bad and the product expensive but …

I am test driving the QC for a week. The amp capture is good, but not perfect. The compression from the power tubes and the transformers it can't capture that at all, yet. Fx are ok, but there are just too few of them. SO far I don't care that much for the modeled amps, they sound decent but not spectacular. The key element is the capture feature with this unit, interface has lot of quirks that need to be fixed and improved.

As for Mustaine... I can see why Joe said that. My impression of Dave is a lot of random flailing. But I don't like him as a person so I never listened to much Megadeth. Back in those days he was a complete asshole. Maybe he's changed but he lost me way, way back ;)
I am a Megadeth fan. I do believe Dave carries an arrogance that is off putting to some. A lot of that was the drugs and his hatred for Metallica. As far as the way he has run Megadeth, he’s maintained complete control and runs it like a business. That is due to what happened with Metallica. Can’t really blame him for that. Let’s be honest, everyone else in the band is an employee, they should know this as they are under contract.

A lot of that was the drugs and his hatred for Metallica.

I think it was in VH1 Behind the Music, but they very quickly detailed some childhood abuse. My guess is that they only skimmed the surface, and I hate to think of how that may have affected him and his siblings. Another person known for a similar personality is Axl Rose, who also talked about being abused. I don't think you're wrong about the drugs and his relationship with Metallica, but I do think it may have started before that, and the drugs and everything else just added to it.

I am a Megadeth fan. I do believe Dave carries an arrogance that is off putting to some. A lot of that was the drugs and his hatred for Metallica. As far as the way he has run Megadeth, he’s maintained complete control and runs it like a business. That is due to what happened with Metallica. Can’t really blame him for that. Let’s be honest, everyone else in the band is an employee, they should know this as they are under contract.
Im a huge fan too, hope he keeps on making killer songs.

Back
Top Bottom