Metallica tonematches/patches extravaganza v3.0! (FW15.03)

Thank you for these great patches! Does anybody know why load & reload patches don't work in my axefx 2 XL? When I try to load patches into axefx it goes fine, all the names are visible in manage presets window but in axefx own lcd it shows only blank and there reads amp1 not used?? All other album patches work just fine! I have firmware 15.03!

edited: Updated to fw 15.06 and load & reloaded patches work fine!

Last edited:
sounds great! I know you did this on a XL unit, what amp did you use to tone match this? I have the II so I'm going to try and tone match this on mine and thought I'd ask

That mp3 is actually original James' guitar sound of that Metallica.com/Tour/Montreal rehearsal video for Guitarjon to create the best possible Tone Match preset of James' current live heavy rhythm sound.

I get best results blending two amps: 1) Dizzy VH4 (ch3) and 2) USA IIC+ Bright or USA lead yellow (Triaxis).

Great thread!!

As you may know, Flemming Rasmussen is an engineer that worked on some of Metallica's earlier albums (RTL, MOP & AJFA). And there's an older thread on another site that includes some notes & comments from Mr. Rasmussen himself regarding the recording of MOP & AJFA (amps, mics, EQ, etc).

Condenser Mic Identification (Metallica) - Page 8 - Gearslutz.com

Only some of the links referenced within that older thread still work, but that includes a few gems:

Metallica Notes - MOP

Metallica Notes - AJFA

Unfortunately, some settings may not accurately translate to the Axe-FX. Still, it is fascinating to review Mr. Rasmussen's original notes & comments -- especially within the context of this (newer) thread.

Last edited:
I tried the Enter Sandman patches and they were extremely bright and fizzy. Almost like there was no cab. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm Back! :)
So lately I've been a bit busy and going through some stuff.
Anyway, I started working on tonematches today again and finished all the tones for the Garage Inc. album.
There are some cool varied tones in there that I hope you'll enjoy!
Here we go:

-Garage Inc:
download.jpg
Download the rar here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocqntc2jlngqxvn/Guitarjon's Metallica presets FW16.01 Garage Inc.rar?dl=0

This rar contains these tones:

-Am I Evil (Rhythm left and right)
-Blitzkrieg (Rhythm left and right)
-Breadfan (Rhythm and Cleans left and right)
-Free Speech For The Dumb (Rhythm James)
-Helpless (Rhythm left)
-Killing Time (Kirk solo)
-Mercyful Fate (Rhythm left and right and Kirk's solo)
-Sabbra Cadabra (Rhythm James and Kirk lead)
-Small Hours (Rhythm left)
-So What (Rhythm left)
-The Prince (Rhythm left)
-The Wait (Intro riff)
-Too Late Too Late (Rhythm James)
-Whiskey In The Jar (Kirk rhythm)

I will work on more stuff soon.
The tones on Death Magnetic will be tough to make because of the clipping so I'll have to make some special EQ'd versions.
I'll also make the tones for St. Anger and some live stuff when I find time.

Thanks!

I just downloaded the final "by request" from live metallica and holy hell! They have completely nailed the album tones live.... I kid you not. Even the mix was near album like. CRAZY CRAZY TIMES!

Thanks, Guitarjon! I noticed the Garage Inc. TM's were labeled for fw 16. I didn't see much in the release notes that would break tones between 15 & 16, but what's your experience in loading up the previous fw 15 tone matches you did with fw 16?

Thanks, Guitarjon! I noticed the Garage Inc. TM's were labeled for fw 16. I didn't see much in the release notes that would break tones between 15 & 16, but what's your experience in loading up the previous fw 15 tone matches you did with fw 16?

There are no issues luckily so everything should work fine in fw16.
I just label the rars so people know what firmware was used creating the tones.

Back
Top Bottom