Metallica tonematches/patches extravaganza v3.0! (FW15.03)

Now you've done it. I had to make a seperate Bank for your Metallica and Meshuggah presets. You are just too cool for sharing these presets. I'm happy to support your band and wish all the best for you.

I have been jamming the Justice tones for a couple days now. The Blackened is my favorite. Turned on the SAT switch and it is now one of my favorites for just jamming. Odd how much reverb is on some of these tracks but you do not realize how much "room" is mixed into the tones until you listen to the isolated tracks on Youtube. Hope you do Death Magnetic!

Thanks for taking the time with these!

Thanks!
About the reverb, that was also surprising to me.
I've done my best to replicate the reverb of all the tones, some have big halls!
I'm definitely planning on doing Death Magnetic although it's a tough album to get right with all the clipping.
The master tracks/stems also have clipping on them.
I'm going to have to eq those sounds to get them as good as I can.
First I'll have to do Garage Inc and St. Anger though...

For those who haven't checked out Guitarjon's band RAPTOR, great stuff and excellent way to help support his efforts. Picked it up this morning :encouragement:

Just got done checking out his recordings on Sound Cloud!

WOW!

I'm mainly an old school Rock guy. Van Halen, AC/DC, Zeppelin etc... Or course Metallica as well though I don't play them much.

That said I think your stuff sounded kick ass!!!

Guys, thanks for the support!
I'm glad everyone is digging the tones, after all I'm making them for you!
I'm going to a festival and then on a holiday so I won't be able to make more tones for a few week.
When I'm back I'll finish all the sounds and more!
Looking forward to it!

Wanted to show my appreciation for these as well. I'm most likely going to purchase an Axe-FX II later this year just to get my hands on these (currently running a Mesa DualRec and a Bugera TriRec as a cheap backup).

Guitarjon, for most of these did you just use the original recordings to tone match, or did you snag some of the songs stem files (just guitar, for example with no other mix) from something like the Guitar Hero game? Those are isolated recordings that could work really well for a lot of the studio stuff.

Wanted to show my appreciation for these as well. I'm most likely going to purchase an Axe-FX II later this year just to get my hands on these (currently running a Mesa DualRec and a Bugera TriRec as a cheap backup).

Guitarjon, for most of these did you just use the original recordings to tone match, or did you snag some of the songs stem files (just guitar, for example with no other mix) from something like the Guitar Hero game? Those are isolated recordings that could work really well for a lot of the studio stuff.

Thanks!
I do have all the stems but first I try to get as much matches from the actual records as I possibly can.
The actual album matches sound more accurate in most cases.
Some parts can be tough because of short parts that are isolated etc.
The stems really help though and I'm very happy to have them.
They are not mastered like the actual record however so in some cases they can sound a bit more dull.
Hope this helps!

That helps a lot and makes sense. :)

There are a few other exceptions to some live tone stuff. I know any of the 5.1 DVD/BluRay releases should have Kirk and James on seperate channels. I doubt they're going to be super isolated like S&M's DVD version was but may be worth checking (I've ripped the audio from the recent Mexico BluRay recently and still need to go through the FLACs). I know the Black Album also had it's "DVD Audio" release which has some isolated tracks too but I'm guessing yours are nearly perfect anyway.

Again, thanks for doing this. Going to put back for a couple of months and probably snag an FX-II XL (or might wait for winter NAMM and see if they announce a new version).

EDIT: Also, I remembered this exists. This is most likely not their live rig and just a Mesa they had, but James has it dialed in for Battery's riff with their typical downtuned tuning.

Last edited:
This is my try for James' live rhythm tone match.

Attachments

• hetfield_live_rhythm.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
So, is anyone else taking Jon's left/right TMA's and saving them as cabs, then combining in one preset? I've been doing that an adding a bit of EQ for a live tone. So far, the Battery TMA's are working out best for a generic Hetfield live tone. When mixing them together though, be aware of some digital phase inversion. I didn't think this could happen with digital output, but it does.

Thanks again Jon.

Steve

So, is anyone else taking Jon's left/right TMA's and saving them as cabs, then combining in one preset?

I tried to set up left and right as different scenes on the same preset, but I don't see how it is possible considering you aren't allowed a second tonematch block.

Thanks Jon, I'm getting ready to load/reload (tee hee) your updated work. I hope they play well with 15.06.

Save the TMA as a User Cab.

I tried to set up left and right as different scenes on the same preset, but I don't see how it is possible considering you aren't allowed a second tonematch block.

Thanks Jon, I'm getting ready to load/reload (tee hee) your updated work. I hope they play well with 15.06.

Ah OK yeah reading comprehension fail on my part. That sounds interesting, I may give that a shot. I'm using the Axe FX II with a Boomerang III pedal so this would really create some interesting possibilities.

How do you like the boomerang?Are you using it in the loop or ?

How do you like the boomerang?Are you using it in the loop or ?

I originally used it in the effects loop but it seems unworkable that way due to level issues and having to tweak each and every preset. Now I just mirror Out 1 to Out 2 and send Out 2 to the Rang, then the Rang out directly to my PA. That works like a champ with every preset as-is and I love the setup. I held off buying it until I could demo the Axe FX II looper capability. Really the Axe FX II just doesn't do looping nearly as well as the Boomerangs. It's been a great investment.

Back
Top Bottom